Bulko1

Converting Halogen bulbs to LED in Avondale Avocet

I have just been reading an article in a caravan magazine on 'How to Tour With No Hook-up'. Part of the article covered conversion of older caravans to LED lighting. My Avondale Avocet has a couple of halogen spot lights and  various ordinary lights. The article stated that it is relatively simple  to upgrade the lights to LED and that it  may be as simple as replacing the existing bulbs with LED bulbs. No more in depth instructions are given in the article. I'm no electrician, so I am seeking advice from anyone that has carried out this type of conversion on their Avocet or similar Avondale caravans. Your advice and help will allow me to assess if it is within my capabilities (relatively simple) or I get an electrician to carry out the conversion.

For the vast majority of light fittings it is just a case of changing the bulb for an LED equivalent. If you can take the bulb out, you can change it. If you cannot take a bulb out you would be better getting a caravan technician to do it for you.

Posted (edited)

Here's a reputable supplier of LEDs for caravans and motorhomes (or boats).

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/electrical/lighting/

"Why should I buy regulated instead of the cheap Ebay LED bulbs?

Our Regulated LED bulbs will operate safely on any voltage between ten and thirty volts, and last for up to 80,000 hours continuous usage.  Remember, 12v DC only bulbs, will only run safely and efficiently at exactly 12 Volts, and your leisure battery is rarely exactly 12v.

A fully charged leisure battery is producing 12.7 Volts plus, and a battery when charging, can reach in excess of 14 Volts.  These voltages will damage un-regulated LED lamps, even burning them out immediately, at best drastically shortening their lifespan."

To identify the 'bulb' you have and its replacement I suggest to use a smartphone to take a sharp photo showing any writing on the 'bulb'.  Zoom and flash can greatly help if you eyesight is not what it used to be.  Many suppliers will help if you send this to them.

I've changed the internal and awning lights on my Freedom with excellent results.  I left the brake/indicator/stop lamps as I not worried about the power used by these.

LED lighting is brilliant!  I have a torch that runs 24/7 on two AA batteries for about a week!

It definitely makes it much easier to go without a hookup.

Edited by kelper

Posted (edited)

As Kelper says, get the regulated bulbs that can operate at upto 30 volts.

After a recommendation on here I got mine from Aten Lighting

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Thanks for the info and supplier links both. I will either get the data off the bulbs or as you suggested take photos and place an order with the most cost effective supplier.

You can also read more info under ELECTRICAL HERE

Use the camera on the phone to zoom and get the numbers printed on the 'bulb', that's really what I was suggesting.