Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

Land Rover Towball

I know there’s been a fair amount of chat over the last few years about failures of some tow-balls on Land Rovers.

As I’m seriously looking at getting a 3 year old Discovery Sport that already has a tow-bar, I’m wondering if I can get a summary of the situation without having to trawl through all the threads, some of which are very, very long?

• does it affect all LR models?
  • does it affect all makes of tow-bar?
  • is it only detachable that are affected?
  • is it only factory-fit equipment?
  • are we talking about a certain time span
  • has there been a full recall?
  • how many known incidents of failure have there been?
  • am I worrying over nothing?

TIA, John

The only one in question is the LR detachable and even there it is doubtful if it is the tow bar or the human at fault !  I have a D4 and tow an almost two ton Airstream caravan and have been all over Europe with it in the last nine years all without problems  BUT I follow Land Rover's guidelines and remove it when not in use and never ever leave the key in when mounted on the car.

Airstream2.thumb.jpg.736a7715fe50cb45b65200dbbd67f174.jpg

As I understand it it was only the D3 that had any problems and it was where the receiver for the detachable  is attached to the rear cross member.

Some had the cross member replaced and others had bracing bars added which made it difficult to remove the ball.

Ian

8 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

As I understand it it was only the D3 that had any problems and it was where the receiver for the detachable  is attached to the rear cross member.

Some had the cross member replaced and others had bracing bars added which made it difficult to remove the ball.

Ian

Never had a single problem with my D3's towball. Plenty of other issues mind.

Discovery Sport with a detachable tow bar, which I never remove.Towed 20.000 miles with no problem!

There was a design change on the D3/D4 hooks.

I had one of the earlier designs which I had with my D3, later moved to my first D4, and the pin which engaged in the chassis member partially withdrew sometimes when towing to the point that it was only held in place by the tip of the pin!

My first D4 passed the chassis recall check at the main dealer, my problem was with the pin retracting during use, I think that some failures were not due to chassis alone. 

The later knobs were larger with ratchet teeth on them presumably to offer some resistance to 'undoing'.

The caravan shot is not mine BTW.

20200106_135412.thumb.jpg.3390f4e0aac54c40432bd275ffd3b13d.jpg

20200106_134040.thumb.jpg.b95cad0ce39f0d2c7f3fe281de19e3cf.jpg

20200106_134110.thumb.jpg.2487e62fb9edde12e1d7b609e2fa6ffa.jpg

Posted (edited)

LR called it a "service action" rather than a recall.

After inspection by the local dealership I had the later style detachable hook on my D4 swapped out for a fixed towbar FOC.

AFAIK the issue is limited to detachable tow hooks on D3/D4/RRS/FFRR?

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Thanks for the advice chaps … I’ll store it away for future reference.

I was due to go and see the car this evening … but thinking back to a previous thread about Land Rovers, I gave the dealer a ring …

Me:- Hi, to save me a wasted journey, could you tell me which engine is in this Discovery?

Salesman:- Er, that’ll be an Ingenium, sir.

Me:- In that case, please cancel my appointment as I won’t be buying the car.

Salesman:- I quite understand, sir. Thanks for letting me know, goodbye.

Says it all about those engines, doesn’t it?

John.

Sadly the Ingenium issue looks like being a millstone for LR. My son works in the company and reports the same sorry tales.

WRT towbars, I would not use a detachable as they were often referred to as 'for occasional use' and not recommended for pulling heavy loads.  This was a few years ago when horror stories were circulating, including a digger on an Ifor Willians trailer that totally detached and went through a hedge.

Our van is 2000kg so I fitted a Witter towbar to the D3 and transferred it to the D4. Its agricultural and I keep the hidden structure and the rear crossbar loaded with Dinitrol ML.

Old fashioned me.