Happy New Year everyone!

Whilst not a tow car issue as such, we’ve got a problem on my wife’s Mini that I’m hoping that someone might be able to help me with as it’s driving me mad. It doesn’t seem to matter what windscreen wipers we fit on the car (Bosch (many variants), Valeo, genuine part Mini, etc., etc.,etc.) after only a few days they all start juddering and making a noise. As all makes seem to do it the same, perhaps it’s not the wipers per se, but some other factor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nigel.

Edited by nigel207
Spelling

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

If you’ve tried so many wiper blades, it’s not them, the problem is elsewhere. Most likely in my mind is the screen having some form of contaminant. I’d give it a really good clean, starting with a clay bar and then using a good glass cleaner. I tend to use Autoglym. 

There’s pros and cons for Rainex or similar coatings, but I like them, you could consider that once the glass is really clean.  

• Like 1

I would be inclined to change the complete wiper arms. It could be the springs holding it on to the windscreen are failing.

• Like 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

As said sounds like the shampoo car wash you use or garage car wash has a wax coating that is causing the issue .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Coatings on glass tend to make the wipers judder - every autumn my valeter does a "winter protection valet" which includes coating all the glass to make the water bead more quickly - I use the wipers less as the beading makes the water run off quickly but for a few weeks they judder - once their settled down there's no judder and the water still beads nearly as much.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

The courtesy car I'm driving has juddering wipers.  I have added the VAG screenwash and wiped frequently in dry and wet conditions and it makes no difference.  I plan to scrub the glass with very fine steel wool to remove the traffic film or whatever is causing it.  The car has only done 4,000 miles so the wiper blades are 'bedded in' but not worn.  I'll also scrub the blades with detergent and a kitchen scourer.  I'll revert if I succeed.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

16 minutes ago, kelper said:

I plan to scrub the glass with very fine steel wool to remove the traffic film or whatever is causing it.  

Be prepared to replace the windscreen if you use any type of steel wool, new screen are very soft and you will scratch the surface..

As it is a courtesy car and not yours, should you not report it to the "owners" so they can remedy it instead of taking on a task that may ruin a windscreen???

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I have had this, years ago, on several cars. The cure was always new blades first, and if that did not work to twist the arms slightly such that the blade was trailing slightly on the juddery down stroke.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3
27 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Be prepared to replace the windscreen if you use any type of steel wool, new screen are very soft and you will scratch the surface..

How do you know this?

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

I have had this, years ago, on several cars. The cure was always new blades first, and if that did not work to twist the arms slightly such that the blade was trailing slightly on the juddery down stroke.

I was just going to say the same!

I've had this on a few cars over the years.  I reasoned that it was due to the angle of the blade and a small tweek with an adjustable spanner on the flat of the blade arm has always cured it.

Looking at the blade in a vertical position, with the spanner on the right, if the blade judders going right, the tweek should be done by rotating by moving the spanner handle toward the screen.  This causes the angle of the blade on the windscreen to be lessened.

If the blade judders going left, the tweek should be in the other direction.

Bear in mind that this tweek is minuscule and is better done gradually over a few tries to get the desired result.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I wipe the blades with a piece of kitchen roll soaked in meths.

It is amazing the black gunk that is removed even just after washing.

I also wipe the screen with meths every couple of weeks or so which seems to keep everything smooth.

I winter I put a bit of meths in the screenwash bottle which helps to prevent freezing.

Ian

It also seems to depend on exactly how they park. It only seems to happen (on my cars anyway) if the blades park at the start of the up stroke rather than at the end of the down stroke. The blades seem to take on a slight set over time and are then trailing over the wetter up stroke and leading on the drier down stroke which judders.

• I agree completely 1
48 minutes ago, kelper said:

How do you know this?

Because it happened to me using a plastic ice scraper on my wifes 63 plate Micra the screen is scratched, so using what you suggest will do more damage

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

17 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Because it happened to me using a plastic ice scraper on my wifes 63 plate Micra the screen is scratched, so using what you suggest will do more damage

It obviously wasn't the plastic scraper that scratched the glass!  But fine particles of glass embedded in the plastic will.  I use steel wool on my wood burner and it has never scratched the glass.  For the windscreen I will use 0000 grade stainless steel.  If you are careful, you can use a razor blade for cleaning house windows.  I will wash the glass first to remove any road grit or debris.

Edited by kelper

Polish out scratches with Farecla G3

Farecla G3

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

A touch up company got overspray on my windscreen.  The sent a more experienced guy out who used fine wire wool very lightly.  It did a great job.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Thanks to all. The car does need a GOOD clean, it’s filthy and hasn’t had any proper TLC for ages. I’ve got clay bar, Autoglym glass polish etc., so I’ll start with that before looking at twisting the arms slightly. There still seems to be good pressure from the arm springs. Thanks again.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Any Chauffeur will tell you the best way to clean a windscreen is when the glass is dry and to use a screwed up newspaper, any newspaper doesn't have to be The Times !! 

Les

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Any Chauffeur will tell you the best way to clean a windscreen is when the glass is dry and to use a screwed up newspaper, any newspaper doesn't have to be The Times !! 

Goodness......   that tip comes from a long time ago when lead was still used in the printing ink, used to shine glass up a treat.

If the springs on the arms are to strong , they will cause them to judder. I have at times she working at Dealerships had to stretch the springs to release SOE pressure . Also as Stevan said if the arm is angled to much one way that will cause judder. Look and see when they are wiping which way they judder ,usually just the one way. You need then to twist the arm with a adjustable spanner as someone has said so it tilts over more on that stroke. Of course the screen must be cleaned properly as well.

12 hours ago, kelper said:

It obviously wasn't the plastic scraper that scratched the glass!  But fine particles of glass embedded in the plastic will.  I use steel wool on my wood burner and it has never scratched the glass.  For the windscreen I will use 0000 grade stainless steel.  If you are careful, you can use a razor blade for cleaning house windows.  I will wash the glass first to remove any road grit or debris.

Do what you want then

How old is the car as I have had this a few times on new cars and the wax they use . I even lost a wiper blade on a motorway after picking up a new car first time used and had to visit a different dealer as away at the time to fit a replacement and they said the screen has not been cleared properly from wax .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

22 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

How old is the car as I have had this a few times on new cars and the wax they use

My courtesy car was registered in March last year.

Don't use any abrasive at all on a car windscreen.

I used to have a Badford Bambi (tiny motorcaravan) the windscreen was once covered in dead flys that were hard to remove, so I used a kitchen sponge, the square foam one with the white soft scourer. Did a brilliant job, the screen looked lovely even when dry. Until I drove it at night, when other cars headlights lit it up it was like looking through frosted glass.

• I agree completely 1

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz