Sign in to follow this  
Carolanne1uk

Washer & Drier installation

I am buying a shed to go at the side of the static to house the washer & drier, it would be located at the bathroom side of the caravan.

Am I best getting a plumber in to do this work of pipework connection or could we do it ourselves. Would we have to drill up into the caravan from below.

Any advice wellcome

Thankyou

Carol

Posted (edited)

Nothing in a static caravan is rocket science so it all depends on your competence at general DIY! 

Be particularly careful  with electricity, IT CAN KILL!

Edited by Stevan

Sorry, they are impossible questions.  Plumbing is much easier then it ever was but it still depends on your level of competence.  And with regards to drilling into the caravan.  Depends on levels for falls, locations of drainage and water feed pipes.  Also need to consider frost protection.

John

If you have to ask, I'd guess that you should pay someone to do it.:)

• +1 3

I agree with Kelper.

None of this stuff is everso difficult and a reasonably competent DIYer would have no problems. If you can access the drainage and water feed from outside the van then you wont need to drill holes in the van. However it all depends on the location of stuff and your degree of competency to do it.

Posted (edited)

With all the issues at the moment with washers and driers and fires do you know how you stand with the caravan insurance and erecting a wood building next to the caravan ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)

I just love it when the "what about the insurance" brigade start:(.  There's no reason to believe that it's any less safe being in a shed or garage or even a caravan than it is in a house. Plenty of people have their appliances (including freezers) in sheds, garages, conservatories etc. Perhaps we should be notifying the insurance co every time we plug in the cleaner or turn on the telly

If you are concerned or even just sensible, fit a smoke or  fire alarm in the shed, or you could go over the top with CCTV so you can watch the clothes going round and round.:unsure:

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

You may need to ensure the site management have no rules or conditions relating to such installations.

8 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I just love it when the "what about the insurance" brigade start:(

If you are concerned or even just sensible, fit a smoke or  fire alarm in the shed, or you could go over the top with CCTV so you can watch the clothes going round and round.:unsure:

Probably best not to leave them running when you're not around as well. What about the electricity supply? Have you got an outside socket you could run an extension lead from? If using an extension lead, probably best not to run both appliances at the same time as the 13amp plug could become overloaded. 

Don't forget the shed floor! Imagine a washing machine bouncing around on a flimsy wooden shed floor. Ideally concrete.

I know the site you're on as we used to store our caravan with them just down the road before the entrance to your site. Get the site's permission and get a plumber and electrician in. The owners may suggest people to contact.

As above, only do it yourself if you feel confident with feeding mains leccy, mains water and waste water yourself.

Best of luck.