Sign in to follow this  
Simon Daisy

Head-height for a very tall camper!

Hi,. We're experienced campers and static-caravaners but new to the world of touring caravans ... and to the Bailey's Pageant Majestic 2001 which we are in the process of buying.  We love the caravan and it ticks all our boxes, apart from the fact that (at full stretch) I am 6'5" tall.  Even when I slump. my head still presses into  the ceiling and I have to slightly crank-in my neck to feel like I'm standing up.  The only place I can truly stand up is into the tiny roof-light/window.  We tried out a few caravans in the local dealer and it seems to be a factor with most touring caravans . The beds are a bit short too. We don't want to lose a great bargain, if indeed all touring caravans have the same ceiling height, and if it's the kind of thing you get used to. But if (as I imagine there are!) there are a few other really tall caravaners out there, who can advise me, I would be grateful for their wisdom before we hand over the cash. In particular, (a) are there any brands/models of lightweight 2 berth caravans which typically have more head-clearance. And (b) if not, is this issue of your head pressing against the ceiling something you can get used to, or (on the contrary) does the problem only get worse during a long holiday (e.g. with neck pain)? I look forward to your kind advice. Thanks, Simon

You need a more recent caravan!

Some time between our 2001 Bailey Pageant Magenta and our present 2013 Lunar Clubman ES, there was a general increase in headroom from about 6'0" to about 6'6".

At 6'5" you won't find a longitudinal bed to fit but transverse dinettes should be more than adequate.

• Like 1

I’m bang on 2 metres tall, or 6’6”. We couldn’t find a caravan I can stand up in, not entirely a shock. Like the OP I can only stand straight up under the roof light. 

I’ve never found it a problem, but I’m not in the habit of standing in the van for any length of time. Preparing food is probably the longest I’m on my feet for, and I’m quite happy to bend my neck slightly while I do that. 

A made up double bed bed at the front is plenty long enough, our layout is a transverse fixed bed, which is obviously too short to stretch out in.  But I’m used to my feet hanging off most beds, and I find I sleep very well in the caravan. 

• Like 1

I'm 6'6" and can stand up in my Bailey Senator Wyoming, I do have to be carful of roof mounted lights and other fittings though.

• Like 1

Although we don’t want one at present, I’ve been in a number of Motorhomes which have significantly more headroom than caravans, where I’ve been able to stand straight easily. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What a super forum!  I joined one about audio equipment, and no answers after 3 days. On this amazing site, I have received several helpful replies within an hour!  Thank you!

We have a small budget, so does anyone happen to know when they started making caravans slightly taller so we can add this to our search criteria.   And, as our budget limits us to rather old touring caravans, does anyone happen to know if there are any particular brands/models, which have slightly more headroom (e.g. Elddis, Swift, Lunar, etc.)?  

Thanks again for your replies. 

Simon & Juliet

Edited by Simon Daisy

Is this tall enough?

temptall.png.c82401573ebe596440668a1d902bb959.png

Ha, Ha, ... Like it. Not quite the cheap 2 berth tho! 

If I can't find what I'm looking for, I'll probably follow Fireman Iain's advice that he copes fine, despite not being able to stand up completely (and he's even taller than me!).  

But while I still have a choice, I'd like to see if I can find the (cheap) touring caravan with the optimum headroom. 

Simon

Our first caravan was a 2010 Lunar Quasar which all had headroom of 6*5”. I think the model year before this was the same too?

Thanks for the suggestion Madasmad, also Black Grouse, AJ Galaxy 2017 and Fireman Iain, for all the help. 

Will see what we can find!  ... and look out for the caravans suggested.  

Simon

most vans now are 6'5 high , and like as been said you will only find a decent width on the make up beds, one bit of advice is to always remove your shoes before going into the van :D

Posted (edited)

Our Bailey Cadiz has good internal height,  probably 6'5". I am 6'2" so no issues. It has two fixed single beds which are 6'5" long. Our previous Vigo had the transverse bed which was only just long enough for me.

Edited by 664DaveS

thanks for all the additional replies! I will search come of the models suggested ... and I'll be sure to remove my shoes! 

For a short time (2010 to 2012 iirc) Lunar produced a Quasar with a single dinette across the rear, with a fold up bunk. The dinette made up to 6ft 8ins across the van.