Over Sensitive Smoke Alarm??

JonathanM

I decided to run up the gas systems on my new Bailey Ranger 470/4 today in preparation for getting away for the first time next week.

While running the fire the smoke detector kept on alarming, despite having the roof vent, front & bathroom windows open for cross ventilation. Eventually (30 mins + later) it decided to stop alarming.

It didn't have a problem when I lit the stove, fridge, grill or oven.-

Now I could smell "fumes" presumably from solvents etc used in construction of the fire while it warmed up, but nil else, no smoke etc.

My seperate CO detector was also in the van & stayed silent.

Anyone had this experience? Anything to be concerned about?

This is fairly normal for any new fire, which may have dust and traces of oil near the burners. Run it on maximum for about 10 mins by which time it will have burned everything off and will be OK from then on. Maybe you have already burnt most of it off.

The smoke alarm is probably normal and not oversensitive. Most go off when doing toast. At least it confirms it is working as it should.

Brian

I think, as a matter of personal preference, I'd prefer my smoke alarm to be a bit on the sensitive side purely for peace of mind. The alarm in my Pageant Monarch can be overridden for about 9 minutes, or so, when the bacon's being cremated but it always gives a reassuring little 'beep' when it's back on duty. If a smoke alarm didn't go off when it sensed smoke - it wouldn't be a smoke alarm!!!

JTS

I also have a Bailey Rangewr 470/4 and even after 12 months of use the smoke alarm still activates when even using a toaster (at the sight of a slice in the toaster the alarm sounds) we therefore have to use the overide button on the alarm until toasting is over.

I had considered repositioning the alarm but I believe it is so sensitive that repositioning will not help.

JONO