Sign in to follow this  
KontikiKid

New Year at Lake Garda

We've had Christmas and New Year away this year. Pre Christmas for the French Christmas markets, Christmas DAy in the Thermal Spa in Germany and then New Year at Lake Garda.

It's the first New Year I've spent in Italy and we are likely to do it again.

Most towns have free street parties. At Peschiera there was a stage with two different bands and then at midnight, a DJ with a mix of music

At midnight, the best and longest lasting firework display we have seen. The fireworks went on for close to 25 minutes. The display and street party are free to attend.

On New Years Day, there are various activities going on such as the traditional dive into the Lake by the brave or bonkers.

We visited various restaurants over the festive period and not one had inflated prices. Equally, we had not pre boked any pitches.

The negative in all this is there is only one caravan site open at Garda in winter - Camping Amici di Lazise.  However, there are a few motorhome stop over places for those in campers. Both camper stops in Peschiera were packed to the rafters. I'd expect Camping Amici to be the same. There are enough sites open in France and Switzerland for transit stops.

The weather was great too - don't get us wrong - it's not southern Spain but around 15C in the sun which feels a lot warmer so we did get the deck chairs out.

For anyone considering this for 2020-2021, also check the winter tyre requirements etc.

We filmed in a very amateur fashion the fireworks and swim - both are available here. Turn the sound off if you have a dog!

It's a fairly long haul for what we call a fairly short holiday of a couple of weeks but well worth the effort.

Russ

• Like 3

I’ve really enjoyed following your posts and blog in Italy so a New Year in Italy has now got me thinking!!!  And as you say 15 degrees is definitely a plus. 

Happy New Year Russ.

Bergamo

Lucky so and so   :D

11 hours ago, Bergamo said:

I’ve really enjoyed following your posts and blog in Italy so a New Year in Italy has now got me thinking!!!  And as you say 15 degrees is definitely a plus. 

Happy New Year Russ.

Bergamo

Love your username!

I will add that in the shade it was cold!

Russ

A little delay in responding!!

Yes The Bergamo!!

We’ve camped at Lake Iseo and had day trips to Bergamo and loved it. A good recommendation from a friend.  We’ve even flown out and had an autumn city break there too.  Fab place.  

Bergamo

Hope you’re feeling much better now Russ.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bergamo said:

A little delay in responding!!

Yes The Bergamo!!

We’ve camped at Lake Iseo and had day trips to Bergamo and loved it. A good recommendation from a friend.  We’ve even flown out and had an autumn city break there too.  Fab place.  

Bergamo

Hope you’re feeling much better now Russ.

Some years back I mentioned to my brother that we had picked up our Grandson back at Bergamo airport and had found the place very underwhelming.

He said we should visit Cita Alta which we did.............. and it was stunning.

Certainly is Allan!!  And the trip up on the funicular train is a wonderful way to arrive at City Alta, which is labyrinth of small streets with an array of shops, restaurants, cafes and bars.   The airport is very much underwhelming  too! We went to collect our daughter and parked on the top floor which was open and actually waved to our daughter as she descended the plane steps, and shouted her with her doing the same in return.  Not sure this parking or security is the same now. But it is definitely worth a short city break.