Sign in to follow this  
dustypete

Bailey unicorn s4 cabrera

Posted (edited)

Hi folks , I've seen the as titled caravan 2019/2018 , I'm 6ft 2 in would I be cramped sleeping in the rear bed, would appreciate views of people that own this caravan only & also your honest view of the caravan , thanks pete

Edited by dustypete

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, dustypete said:

Hi folks , I've seen the as titled caravan 2019/2018 , I'm 6ft 2 in would I be cramped sleeping in the rear bed, would appreciate views of people that own this caravan only & also your honest view of the caravan , thanks pete

I'm 6' 3" and find the bed in the Cabrera fine... 

We love the van, it suits us to a T.  We like plenty of room for the two of us, and bought the Cabrera for the island bed, and the very comfortable lounge area.  We've had it for 8 months and have done about 1200  miles, it's a good van to tow with our Kuga, but you MUST check the nose weight and all up weight.  We have to load under the bed to get the nose weight right and carry quite a bit of stuff in the car...

Edited by Guzzilazz
answering the rest of the question

We found the bed short and we aren’t tall. Changed to an Elddis 860.

Go and find one at a dealers and lie on the bed would be my course of action. 

First hand hand experience trumps someone else’s opinion every time.

Andy

• I agree completely 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

VERY VERY sound advice.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

But be careful even doing that. We tried the beds in several 2019 Coachman VIP 545’s at shows and dealers to check that it would suit us and they seemed fine. However, in practice we found out too late that it’s too short. We’re stuck now as we can’t afford to change, but at the same time have no desire to use the caravan because of that.

So, make sure its plenty big enough, and I mean plenty big enough.

Edited by nigel207
Additional information

Yes never trust a brochure and always try.  For example the bailey Valencia series 3 has a bed 6 ft 2 in except it’s not. It’s a good 6ft 4 with a further gap making it nearer 6 ft 8 in.  

The Swift has a bed 6 ft 2 in as well.  And it is, just, with a bulkhead at each end and that includes the padded head board. 

FWIW ....

Hi, 

We are 100 % fixed bed, longer term users without any need to pushback or put bits away daytime.

I have found, at 6ft myself, it is often the configuration and the need to compromise a bit that is the issue. I regard a decent nights sleep is ahead of say a spacious large rear washroom.

You'll have to go to a German build or an Adria or an 8ft wide to possibly get the longer fixed beds with often other issues then (cost, size, length, twin axle, small Kitchen & washroom etc).  

Even a 6ft 4" bed, between headboard & bedboard  (central full width middle washroom type) would be awful & total a non starter for me. Equally island beds with rear washroom are not for me due to disturbance of / and the narrow walkway daytime - note always retracted back at shows.

Having had french bed Caravans (fair option) and pondered over a sideways island bed (limited walk past) we now have a s/axle 2018 550 Elddis Affinity (same layout as Aurora or 550 Avante). Open ended Island bed with headboard at back and open to walkway through to front - adequate bed length with over-hang option (without issues) to stretch out ( I wear bed socks to prevent cold feet anyway). Shower cubicle to o/s, toilet to n/s. Very much works for us as allows either sleeper to get to toilet with disturbing. Toilet door cleverly double closes to shut off front also. 

Elddis is the only builder I have found of this layout so maybe time to find one at a Dealer then go look, try out & ponder this layout.

M

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nigel207 said:

But be careful even doing that. We tried the beds in several 2019 Coachman VIP 545’s at shows and dealers to check that it would suit us and they seemed fine. However, in practice we found out too late that it’s too short. We’re stuck now as we can’t afford to change, but at the same time have no desire to use the caravan because of that.

So either the bed “shrunk” or you grew then? 

Sorry if that seems a little little harsh but if you tried the bed and it was OK how can it possibly be too short now??

Andy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, montesa said:

Elddis is the only builder I have found of this layout so maybe time to find one at a Dealer then go look, try out & ponder this layout.

Bailey do a similar layout, other than the shower being nearside and toilet offside. Two doors so bathroom can be isolated from lounge or bedroom. Decent length (for me) bed. We changed from a French bed Olympus, the fore and aft island bed layout is vastly superior, well it suits us and that’s all the matters to us.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, nigel207 said:

looking at the spec for that 'van it states that the double is 5'11 and looking at the layout there is no room to push the mattress out  to stuff a couple of pillows in the top to lengthen the bed. That was an expensive mistake.  Do you use the the make up bed now? I never thought to ask how tall are you ? It's also a puzzle that the bed was okay when you tried it first. 

Mr. Plodd;  just to add to your post, the Bailey bed is 6'2 long and my OH is 6'2, however he rarely sleeps with his legs straight out all night as with most people when they sleep they sleep on their sides and they bend their legs. Also if it were necessary  we do have room at the bottom of the bed to lengthen it a bit.  I do agree it is a comfy bed. 

Edited by joanie

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

So either the bed “shrunk” or you grew then? 

Sorry if that seems a little little harsh but if you tried the bed and it was OK how can it possibly be too short now??

Andy

Because you don't have bedding or pillows when you try them at shows/dealers, you can only imagine what it would be like with them (and we obviously mis-judged).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, joanie said:

looking at the spec for that 'van it states that the double is 5'11 and looking at the layout there is no room to push the mattress out  to stuff a couple of pillows in the top to lengthen the bed. That was an expensive mistake.  Do you use the the make up bed now? I never thought to ask how tall are you ? It's also a puzzle that the bed was okay when you tried it first. 

Mr. Plodd;  just to add to your post, the Bailey bed is 6'2 long and my OH is 6'2, however he rarely sleeps with his legs straight out all night as with most people when they sleep they sleep on their sides and they bend their legs. Also if it were necessary  we do have room at the bottom of the bed to lengthen it a bit.  I do agree it is a comfy bed. 

Under 5'11" but perhaps not enough under! LOL 

Ref you comment to Mr.Plodd, I agree that you don't sleep straight out (or at least I don't), but with the wall at the bottom of the bed in our caravan, I am aware of touching it at times. I have removed a vent board at the bedhead which has given an extra inch, and am looking (speaking with the Service manager of a good dealership) to modify things. Stupidly, Coachman put a boxed-in section at the bed-head end, which doesn't seem to serve any purpose but to shorten the bed. For 2020, they've lowered this so that the bed goes over the top of it. So, all isn't lost yet!

I agree re the bailey beds. I spent a week in a Phoenix 640 (end-island bed) and it was sooooo comfortable. BUT, for us, there were other issues (same in the Unicorn Cabrera) which didn't suit us personally - but it was a purely personal thing, not something that I would criticise.

Edited by nigel207
Correction

I did notice that the other caravans in that range had longer beds and I do agree that the board at the bottom of the bed would annoy me as well. Fingers crossed that the service manager can come up with something to make thing more comfy. 

• Like 1

We have a U4 Cabrera. First, it doesn’t have a wall at the foot of the bed unlike previous models. I am 6’0” and have no problems. We retract the bed during the day to give more space. We love our Cabrera, it works well for us. We had over two months away in Jan / Feb last year with good sleep. 

I've just ordered a black edition cabrera and there is no board at the foot of the bed.

4 minutes ago, Enfield boy said:

I've just ordered a black edition cabrera and there is no board at the foot of the bed.

That's because only the early ones had a hinged board, mine slides.

We had a coachman pastiche 545 and found the bed too short, we're not that tall, hubby 5ft8ins. We got rid and bought the Bailey unicorn 4 Cabrera, best thing we ever did love this van, bed is so comfortable,it's a keeper 

Is there summat strange about we tall fellas? I'm 6' 1½" and I sleep most of the time (certainly at home) with my legs straight out or very close to it - and consequently get cold feet much of the time as the quilt moves away! My wife says she thinks I am strange as she sleeps in a fetal position and so at 5'8" she never gets cold feet.

Our last van was a Pegasus 462 which suited me OK as the supports for making up a double pulled out from underneath each bed so it allowed my bed to be a bit wider and consequently I could sleep at and angle with my legs straight. We now have a U4 Seville which has reverted to slats so I have no option but to sleep 'properly' on the bed - but even with pillows I can <just> manage to sleep with near straight legs.

One question - can someone answer please? Why do caravan manufacturers when building 2-berth vans always seem to assume that everyone wants to sleep in a double? When one - shall we say - moves on in life it is often necessary to make 'visits' during the night and having to climb over your partner becomes more and more difficult - either that or she wakes up and you get GBH of the ear'ole. Hence we buy a two berth and use single beds - AND THEY ARE NEVER BIG ENOUGH!!!