Sign in to follow this  
MaxRock

First time towing a caravan (weights to consider)

Hi all

Just bought a new to me 2006 Luna 525,  Really happy with the purchase so far.

I seem to have made a newbie error when calculating what my car could tow, wanting to be safe with the family in the car I was looking at the 85% guideline and searched for vans in that weight area. My error was that I calculated 85%  of the car towing capability of 1800kg and not its kerb weight of 1565kg :) only a couple of hundred kgs out.

Anyway after reading through this forum I'm pretty happy that it shouldn't be an issue as the Lunar comes out at 86.3% of the kerb weight so not to bad in the end.

I then got hung up on payloads and nose weights and all the bleedin' acronyms that come with them, so I made a small list of weights and although I'm fairly confident in what I've worked out I'd like it if you seasoned caravaners  could cast an eye over what I've concluded. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Car is 2014 Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 140hp

Cheers

Mark

Caravan loads.PNG

At 86.3%, that's close enough to 85% so just use the full payload of the caravan - well done for spotting that BE licence is required - at 40 bhp/tonne your outfit meets the recommended minimum for power-to-weight, and being a turbo-diesel will have plenty of torque.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/towmatch/

I used this on our recent purchase and found it pretty useful. It did however put us off buying a bigger van until i spoke to the dealer who advised that it is just a guideline and was pre ATC and other aids such as ABS etc. We bought a much bigger van in the end and it tows fine. We are conscious however of putting heavier things in the car if possible so the tail doesn't wag the dog.

From an alko demo on youtube it appears that putting the weight at the back of the van is a the big no no

Thanks guys much appreciated, always good to get a sanity check from those with more experience.

I already have the BE entitlement but the boss lady does not so I'll be doing all the driving...as usual :)

I'll be weighing everything we put in the van so I'll have a little list once its done to save time on future trips.  Saw a youtube video with a toy/model car and trailer on a rolling road, that really showed the consequences of poor loading, the thing was all over the place!

Thanks again, just reading through the forum as been a great help so far. more questions to come for sure.

Cheers

Mark

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MaxRock said:

Thanks guys much appreciated, always good to get a sanity check from those with more experience.

I already have the BE entitlement but the boss lady does not so I'll be doing all the driving...as usual :)

I'll be weighing everything we put in the van so I'll have a little list once its done to save time on future trips.  Saw a youtube video with a toy/model car and trailer on a rolling road, that really showed the consequences of poor loading, the thing was all over the place!

Thanks again, just reading through the forum as been a great help so far. more questions to come for sure.

Cheers

Mark

By the sounds of it you seem educated so and all your numbers add up, shame the same can’t be said about the majority of caravans I saw last year being towed, poor loading making the caravans snake like hell! Have you got a nose weight, absolute essential bit of kit ;) I tow at 75% but I’ve only been caravannig a year so got advised to get a relatively light caravan also I can’t exceed 3500kg with my license

Edited by 3collinso

Well done with all your research!

A nose weight gauge or bathroom scales and a piece of wood the correct length would be useful to check the nose weight.

Also, when you feel brave enough take a trip over a weighbridge. Its always interesting to know the actual figures. 

(I drive close to our weight limits so use a weighbridge from time to time).

If you have B+E and boss lady has B then she can drive it with you in passenger seat - just fit L plates and inform insurer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R0G said:

If you have B+E and boss lady has B then she can drive it with you in passenger seat - just fit L plates and inform insurer

Good spot - driving on motorways is permitted for "learners" where they have already passed the B car test

Thanks again all 

I have a noseweight gauge already, not sure I trust my bathroom scales....they always seen to lie when I step on them:D

I'll see where my local weighbridge is located, it would be interesting to see the results

Great idea about the L plates for the boss, ha ha she thought she'd got away with 

Cheers

19 hours ago, colin h said:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/towmatch/

I used this on our recent purchase and found it pretty useful. It did however put us off buying a bigger van until i spoke to the dealer who advised that it is just a guideline and was pre ATC and other aids such as ABS etc. We bought a much bigger van in the end and it tows fine. We are conscious however of putting heavier things in the car if possible so the tail doesn't wag the dog.

From an alko demo on youtube it appears that putting the weight at the back of the van is a the big no no

Unfortunately no-one seems to have told Bailey. In the Unicorn S4 Seville - which, as is their style, was discontinued last year having only been available since September 2017! - they put the toilet and battery behind the axle, and the cooker and gas box right at the back. Loaded to the upgraded limit (1450Kg) the maximum we have ever achieved on the nose is 53Kg. When we got the van home from delivery we weighed the nose - 32Kg; we loaded the van in our standard and well experienced style and the nose was 10Kg. I've even had to go down to a 3.9Kg Propane to aid the noseweight!!!

Mind you, it does seem to tow without problem.

Our last van was a Pegasus 462 1490Kg (upgraded) and when we loaded it quite reasonably we ended with well over 126Kg on the nose (max that the scale would take!) It's 67Kg empty.  The solution was to get a couple of large Really Useful boxes* and put some of the heavier cleaning stuff etc into them and put them in the wardrobe in the bathroom at the back. Nose down to 84Kg. We took that van all over Europe and despite that extra weight in the rear end we never once had any towing issues.

*For anyone who has not come across them, Really Useful boxes are brilliant and very sturdy. You can get the large ones in Homebase and the smaller ones from Rymans.

Really Useful branded boxes of many sizes are available in B&Q too.

The Stellar was a very longstanding model within the Lunar range and that always had a rear kitchen and rear shower room and I've never heard folk complaining about the noseweight being a problem to achieve.    

The calculations look good but depend on the accuracy of the unladen weight of both car and caravan being correct. If you are worried at all about weights it is best to use a local weighbridge as suggested earlier.