Sign in to follow this  
Stephen O

Duck Board

Hi, My Bailey Discovery has the combined shower/toilet floor which always puddles when I cannot get the van exactly level, and sometimes when I can! I came to the lightbulb moment of having a duck board in, there are many types available on ebay etc. Has anyone used or got any experience of one? weight issues? damage to the shower floor? I had 2 hairline cracks which I have filled myself. 

Thanks

I wouldn't use duck-boards .. too rigid and would create pressure points as they would not exactly match the contours of the floor .. a better bet would be something like those 'chain link' rubber mats .

• +1 2

Yes if the shower as to be stood on to use toilet I used a duck board.

Once had one crack and I put it down to size 11 shoes when using toilet thus after repair used duck board to spread the weight.

Note to new buyers or when changing caravan think best not to have the combined shower/toilet in first place.

• +1 1

We’ve just sold our Sprite Alpine 4 which had the shower/toilet combo. I used a wooden duckboard in it for 8 years without any problems - I wouldn’t have wanted to use it without. We did have a piece of thin non-slip matting underneath to protect against possible scratching.

I’m still deciding whether to put the duckboard into the new van, which has a separate  shower.

John.

I NEVER level the caravan too precisely for EXACTLY the reason you have stated, arrange it so your plughole is on the “downhill” end of the shower floor.

Simples AND cost free. 

Andy

7 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

I wouldn't use duck-boards .. too rigid and would create pressure points as they would not exactly match the contours of the floor .. a better bet would be something like those 'chain link' rubber mats .

Very valid observation. Whats wrong with a cut to shape rubber backed mat?

20 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Very valid observation. Whats wrong with a cut to shape rubber backed mat?

The floor gets damp and a rubber backed mat wouldn't allow it to dry out ..

Posted (edited)

what about some of this - it's less rigid than a wooden or even plastic duckboard so should cause local pressure cracking but will conform to the shower tray and can be easily cut to shape https://www.firstmats.co.uk/products/plastic-duckboard-matting-rolls.i guess you can get it in shorter lengths than 10m but  i dont know where from

Even more from here https://jaymart.net/duckboard.php

Edited by matelodave

48 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I NEVER level the caravan too precisely for EXACTLY the reason you have stated, arrange it so your plughole is on the “downhill” end of the shower floor.

Simples AND cost free. 

Andy

Andy! I am a stickler for a level caravan!

Sometimes much to Lizzie annoyance!

However the shower, used by both of us daily, always works perfectly!

Stuck at home at the moment , refitting the kitchen in our eldest daughters house, which we own!

Pulling out on the 26th, and have no clue when we will get home after that!

1 minute ago, PR1 said:

Andy! I am a stickler for a level caravan!

Why??  Its not THAT critical. 

Years ago the thinking was that if a caravan fridge wasn't absolutely level it wouldn’t work, but that’s not the case these days. So I level up fairly accurately, but don’t get that obsessive about it because there’s no need. That way I can be sure my shower will drain. If it doesn’t then I use a squeegee to get the remaining water down t’plug-ole It’s not as if I am in any rush to get anywhere. 

Andy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephen O said:

Hi, My Bailey Discovery has the combined shower/toilet floor which always puddles when I cannot get the van exactly level, and sometimes when I can! I came to the lightbulb moment of having a duck board in, there are many types available on ebay etc. Has anyone used or got any experience of one? weight issues? damage to the shower floor? I had 2 hairline cracks which I have filled myself. 

Thanks

Our van came with a duckboard as standard equipment, works well.

3 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

The floor gets damp and a rubber backed mat wouldn't allow it to dry out ..

So dry it before you put the mat down ;)

Hmm some food for thought, I like the idea of a squeegy but will measure the tray and see how much a duckboard would weigh and where any pressure points would be. 

Wood duck boards seem common on German vans and motorhomes

I have cut a stable rubber mat to fit odd shape of shower. I no longer need to step in. On the negative side it is heavy.