Sign in to follow this  
yorkyguy

New Commodore has arrived!

Posted (edited)

Self evident title really! We are going to view it in the next couple of days. We are optimistic about the build quality of the finished product but mindful that some buyers have rejected their van safe in the knowledge that they have financed their purchase in part. We paid a deposit on ordering by credit card. Does this constitute some form of finance rather than buying the van cash outright?   There are some worrying vlogs out there!!

Cheers

Edited by yorkyguy

Keep that glass half full yorkguy am sure it will be fine and you will have some great times with it.

Remember you only ever hear the bad and rarely the good.

We have had two new vans  a Swift and now a Elddis and apart from a few very minor niggles they have both been fault free and brilliant👍

Hi Jacko 1,

Thanks for this - we are glass half full types and, yes, the satisfied customers rarely comment! We are looking forward to the new van.

(Incidentally our three XC60s were superb!)

Bear in mind the Credit Card protection only covers up to £30,000.00 so will not cover your Commodore purchase.  Take out some finance via Black Horse or similar (a small amount will do) over several years, do not pay it off then the Finance Company has an "interest" and you should get help from them in the event of problems.

Hopefully you van will give you many years of trouble free enjoyment.

The Commodore was purchased with a sizable PX and unbeatable discount on the new van so the actual cash balance was significantly less than half the cost of the Commodore.  Actually if all goes wrong , I might be happy with £30K - does this make sense?

Posted (edited)

Deleted duplicate post

I think it's  the actual retail cost of the van the Credit Card Company will look at not how much you actually paid or the level of the px.

Edited by Vanning Man

1 minute ago, Vanning Man said:

Bear in mind the Credit Card protection only covers up to £30,000.00 so will not cover your Commodore purchase.  Take out some finance via Black Horse or similar (a small amount will do) over several years, do not pay it off then the Finance Company has an "interest" and you should get help from them in the event of problems.

Hopefully you van will give you many years of trouble free enjoyment.

Good advice.

We put a grand on Black Horse (£20/month for 5yrs) when we bought our Commodore.

3yrs in and only one silly fault now fixed under warranty (See 2017 Commodore)

The water ingress warranty through permanently sealed joints runs for 10yrs, so you also need to cultivate a good relationship with your dealer as well as having a fall back position via Section 75. (As we have all agreed many times before).

I'm sure the van will be great, we love ours and can't think of a better place to spend time.

Enjoy.

GB

Thanks for this GB,

Our PX is a 2018 Swift Challenger dealer special so we are well up to speed with the 10yr water ingress warranty. The only issue for me is the interest charges on the finance which is taken out to potentially help protect the buyer but the interest charges seem a bit of a stab in the back for something we didn't want to take out in the first place  :unsure:

19 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Thanks for this GB,

Our PX is a 2018 Swift Challenger dealer special so we are well up to speed with the 10yr water ingress warranty. The only issue for me is the interest charges on the finance which is taken out to potentially help protect the buyer but the interest charges seem a bit of a stab in the back for something we didn't want to take out in the first place  :unsure:

I take your point but what price peace of mind? The interest works out at £1 a week, so we don't miss it that badly.  If you read some of the back catalogue on here you will find folk who might have wished they'd had the additional leverage of Section 75 when things went pear shaped. Personal choice of course.

I think if it as an insurance policy which as yet we've not had to use.

Cheers

GB.

On 01/01/2020 at 18:12, yorkyguy said:

Self evident title really! We are going to view it in the next couple of days. We are optimistic about the build quality of the finished product but mindful that some buyers have rejected their van safe in the knowledge that they have financed their purchase in part. We paid a deposit on ordering by credit card. Does this constitute some form of finance rather than buying the van cash outright?   There are some worrying vlogs out there!!

Cheers

It is the value of the goods purchased that counts and not the balance.  You cannot use S75 of the Consumer Credit Act as the total amount for the caravan exceeds £30k.  Best to have some finance on HP as it will be a good insurance policy as Black Horse have a lot of clout.  We have the T shirt!  ;)  

We now have another 2018 Buccaneer and are very happy with it as it has only had a few minor niggles.  :D

On 01/01/2020 at 20:03, Vanning Man said:

I think it's  the actual retail cost of the van the Credit Card Company will look at not how much you actually paid or the level of the px.

The figure is the invoiced cost of the goods, so as long as the invoice shows a total cost of less that £30k they Section 75 applies.

If the invoice is greater than £30k then providing you take out finance on a HP or PCP agreement then the finance company is jointly (with the dealer) and severally responsible or the goods as each of those agreements are tripartite.

Any other agreements such as Personal Loan, Conditional Sale Agreements etc are not covered under a tripartite agreement.

On 01/01/2020 at 18:12, yorkyguy said:

Cheers

Yes, you get the same protection as if you bought it on finance. Hope you find it perfect.

19 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Yes, you get the same protection as if you bought it on finance. Hope you find it perfect.

The above only applies if the invoice price is £30k or less!

If bought on HP/PCP then you get the protection of the finance company regardless of cost, provided the purchase is by a "Consumer", making the agreement Regulated under the CCA)!

An agreement covered by the Act is called a regulated agreement. An agreement will be regulated if the borrower is an individual borrowing for mainly personal use rather than business use.

Posted (edited)

Purchased my 2017 Commodore three years ago next week.

Thank goodness I read about taking a small amount of the purchase on finance. Just like GB1309 took out at his purchase. 

At our three year service carried out in November damp was found in two places.

Erwin Hymer have asked for photographs of the stained panels before deciding if the warranty claim will be allowed even though we have had it serviced annually by the selling dealer within the servicing scheduled dates.

If our dealers claim to Erwin Hymer for the warranty work required is not approved under the 10 years water ingress guarantee then Black Horse will be asked to intervene and the finance may well prove to be a good investment.

Edited by Ian McH

I am on my third Buccaneer and touch wood only silly little faults, had our Commodore just over a year now and only thing hats it has been back to the dealers for is a leak on the heating system, turned out to be a damaged rubber pipe at the drain for the heating system. I spotted the anti-freeze on the back nearside corner steady pad. 

Good luck with your new van you will love the underfloor heating.

Gordon

9 hours ago, Ian McH said:

Thank goodness I read about taking a small amount of the purchase on finance. Just like GB1309 took out at his purchase. 

Erwin Hymer have asked for photographs of the stained panels before deciding if the warranty claim will be allowed even though we have had it serviced annually by the selling dealer within the servicing scheduled dates.

If our dealers claim to Erwin Hymer for the warranty work required is not approved under the 10 years water ingress guarantee then Black Horse will be asked to intervene and the finance may well prove to be a good investment.

If you read the owner's manual the 10 year damp ingress warranty only applied to sealed joints so chances of sealed joints getting damp is extremely remote.  The warranty does not cover leaks around windows, doors, lockers etc.  This type of 10 year warranty is not unique to Elddis and other manufacturers have the same sort of restrictions.  Good news is that IMHO the CRA 2015 should cover it anyway as the damp could have been caused by poor design or an issue in the manufacturing process.

On 03/01/2020 at 23:25, Ian McH said:

Oh dear. Sorry to hear this Ian. I hope yours is resolved as effectively as ours was, although ours was relatively straightforward.  You don't say exactly which panels were affected or whether a supposedly permanently sealed joint might be responsible. 

Graham.

1 hour ago, GB1309 said:

Oh dear. Sorry to hear this Ian. I hope yours is resolved as effectively as ours was, although ours was relatively straightforward.  You don't say exactly which panels were affected or whether a supposedly permanently sealed joint might be responsible. 

Graham.

I posted it up on the 2017 Commodore thread page 33.  Here's hoping it's just a one off.