Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
James Donald

Tow bar down load.

Recommended Posts

Hi I know other people have asked before so sorry but I get a bit confused ?  My Pegasus says on the stick on plate beside the door ,

               MTPLM :                                 1472 kg

                Mass in running order :   1314 kg

My nose weight loaded except a few things going in the fridge on Friday when we leave is   107 kg.

Is this near enough please ?   I read somewhere 10%,   and else where 7% ? And is it a % of which figure please ?

 

             Happy new year to you all, its 27o here and 30 o tomorrow and we are of for a trip South on Friday.

                                                      JD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at your cars specifications for towing nose weight my car is 79 kg I think most popular family cars will be around this figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a minefield - most UK-built caravans have a hitch limit of 100 kg and the limit on many European cars is 100 kg or less - this leads UK caravan clubs to "recommend" a 4-7% limit - Australia and North America prefer 10% minimum as it gives better stability.

 

I've always worked on the basis of - as high as possible without exceeding any of the limits imposed by car, towbar or caravan hitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As Black Grouse says check the limit on your tow bar, there should be a sticker confirming the maximum load your bar will take, use this in conjunction with your car's stated max noseweight .

107 Kg seems a bit on the high side to me

Edited by Les Medes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

It's a minefield - most UK-built caravans have a hitch limit of 100 kg and the limit on many European cars is 100 kg or less - this leads UK caravan clubs to "recommend" a 4-7% limit - Australia and North America prefer 10% minimum as it gives better stability.

 

I've always worked on the basis of - as high as possible without exceeding any of the limits imposed by car, towbar or caravan hitch.

 

As said UK manufacturers use 4-7% and US use 10% but are usually heavier designs .

 

 

Dave

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, James Donald said:

Hi I know other people have asked before so sorry but I get a bit confused ?  My Pegasus says on the stick on plate beside the door ,

               MTPLM :                                 1472 kg

                Mass in running order :   1314 kg

My nose weight loaded except a few things going in the fridge on Friday when we leave is   107 kg.

Is this near enough please ?   I read somewhere 10%,   and else where 7% ? And is it a % of which figure please ?

 

             Happy new year to you all, its 27o here and 30 o tomorrow and we are of for a trip South on Friday.

                                                      JD.

It is 4% to 7% of the MTPLM, around 58kg to103kg in your case.

However, you need to identify the three maximum permitted static download weights which apply to your towing combination and make sure you do not exceed whichever is the lowest - the car tow bar, the caravan hitch and the caravan manufacturers plate (by the door).

The tow bar limit will be on a plate attached to it. As previously said, the caravan hitch maximum is almost certainly 100kg. The plate by the door may say the same or lower.

So, for example, If the tow bar maximum is shown as 85kg and both hitch and caravan plate 100kg, the nose weight must not exceed 85kg.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

It is 4% to 7% of the MTPLM, around 58kg to103kg in your case.

However, you need to identify the three maximum permitted static download weights which apply to your towing combination and make sure you do not exceed whichever is the lowest - the car tow bar, the caravan hitch and the caravan manufacturers plate (by the door).

The tow bar limit will be on a plate attached to it. As previously said, the caravan hitch maximum is almost certainly 100kg. The plate by the door may say the same or lower.

So, for example, If the tow bar maximum is shown as 85kg and both hitch and caravan plate 100kg, the nose weight must not exceed 85kg.

Seldom do I have to disagree with you but in this instance I have to! There is often a fourth limit actually lower than the other three. That being the noseweight limit for the car, often to only be found in the handbook. The plate on my towbar shows 150Kg, but the handbook clearly states 80Kg!

 

The figure on the towbar is higher because the same towbar is also fitted to the USA and Aussie versions of the car which has a higher limit, presumably because those cars have a stronger rear end.

Edited by Stevan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought just going by car spec. as in my post was the way, certainly simple and not complicated as others have made it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks all, and David I did try hard to find the cars ?recommendation on nose weight but could only find the towing weight at 2400 kg. I will have a better look on the towbar tomorrow. It is a new (July) BMW with a BMW towbar so should be able to find out. That aside I really don't know where I could get rid of any weight from up front anyway ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Seldom do I have to disagree with you but in this instance I have to! There is often a fourth limit actually lower than the other three. That being the noseweight limit for the car, often to only be found in the handbook. The plate on my towbar shows 150Kg, but the handbook clearly states 80Kg!

 

The figure on the towbar is higher because the same towbar is also fitted to the USA and Aussie versions of the car which has a higher limit, presumably because those cars have a stronger rear end.

Not really a disagreement but the inclusion of a detail I overlooked. However, in my defence, I wasn't thinking of anything like an Antara being used in this case!😉

1 minute ago, James Donald said:

Many thanks all, and David I did try hard to find the cars ?recommendation on nose weight but could only find the towing weight at 2400 kg. I will have a better look on the towbar tomorrow. It is a new (July) BMW with a BMW towbar so should be able to find out. That aside I really don't know where I could get rid of any weight from up front anyway ?

Experiment with the loading to get it down then either be ruthless and reduce what you take or move some of the load to the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James as you are in New Zealand your vehicle may have a different specification for the tongue weight as opposed to the same UK vehicle.  The recommended nose weight of the the caravan is approximately 7% as per Swift and probably some other organisations.  This puts the nose weight of the caravan at about 103kg however as you have an imported UK Bailey the limit of the ALKO hitch is 100kg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

It is 4% to 7% of the MTPLM, around 58kg to103kg in your case.

However, you need to identify the three maximum permitted static download weights which apply to your towing combination and make sure you do not exceed whichever is the lowest - the car tow bar, the caravan hitch and the caravan manufacturers plate (by the door).

The tow bar limit will be on a plate attached to it. As previously said, the caravan hitch maximum is almost certainly 100kg. The plate by the door may say the same or lower.

So, for example, If the tow bar maximum is shown as 85kg and both hitch and caravan plate 100kg, the nose weight must not exceed 85kg.

 

4% is a legal minimum in Europe - the 7% isn't really a recommendation, it's just the maximum a 100 kg hitch limit will permit for most caravans.

 

A figure of more than 7% will give better stability but few UK outfits can achieve that because of limitations.

Edited by Black Grouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi , finally found it in the Owners Handbook !!! In amongst the 405 pages. It is 100 kg max ( as the legal man mentioned ) and  25 kg min. Funny though been towing Caravans since my Honey Moon in 1968 and never measured or tested any weight , just looked at the back of the towcar and if it had gone down to far then just moved a few things back in the Caravan ?  Never had a moment to worry about towing at all! All new to me now days. Ha Ha .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, James Donald said:

Hi , finally found it in the Owners Handbook !!! In amongst the 405 pages. It is 100 kg max ( as the legal man mentioned ) and  25 kg min. Funny though been towing Caravans since my Honey Moon in 1968 and never measured or tested any weight , just looked at the back of the towcar and if it had gone down to far then just moved a few things back in the Caravan ?  Never had a moment to worry about towing at all! All new to me now days. Ha Ha .

A great many, perhaps the majority, set the noseweight that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James. As your nose weight is only 7Kg over the limit,  just move something about 5kg like a wheel ramp or a couple wooden blocks from the front to the back of the caravan. Personally, if it isn't riding nose heavy (pitching) then I would stay with the 107Kg. A nice steady drive with very good stability (especially with that tow car).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

 

4% is a legal minimum in Europe - the 7% isn't really a recommendation, it's just the maximum a 100 kg hitch limit will permit for most caravans.

 

A figure of more than 7% will give better stability but few UK outfits can achieve that because of limitations.

 

4% is the minimum that the manufacturer must provide. It is not the minimum that must be maintained in service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a Peugeot 508 (saloon), and its towball limit was 75kg.  I now have a Ford Kuga which has a weight limit of 100kg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...