Sign in to follow this  
Gedgemeister

Buccaneer Cruiser TV Aerial

Hi,

just returned from Moreton in Marsh site. TV reception wasn't bad to start but kept getting interrupted and needed re-tuning. I bought a co-axial lead since I'd seen others plug into the main bollard where the power is located on the site. I have a couple of questions. Does everyone plug their co-axial into the back of the TV or is there somewhere else that you plug it into? Inside one of the cabinets is an c0-axial lead connection and I wondered if you connect up to that, and that re-routes from the aerial or if it is only for a TV in the awning. 

As an aside we noticed that during weak signal if I turned off all the power, the picture came back and was good. Put it back on again, picture goes? So questions are;

a) Does coax lead need to go straight into back of TV or is there somewhere else, external that it connected to there and TV connected to the internal connection point a whole circuit is made receiving from the site bollard. This is as I assume satellite works. Connect, dish to connection external (battery box), connect satellite box in caravan to satellite connection internally, connect TV to satellite box?

b) Why would power affect.

Cheers

TV signals have been badly affected by the weather conditions recently

Moreton in Marsh is notorious for poor signal.  Do you have the status aerial or the "twig" type aerial?  Twig was on 2015 and earlier Buccaneers.  When on Moreton site we plugged the coaxial lead straight into the TV running cable through window which was on night latch.  Our TV is on the front chest of drawers.  If I recall correctly over the Christmas there was another Buccaneer caravan on site?

If you found an unused cable end inside the van then there must be a matching connector somewhere outside. With Bailey it will either be in the battery box possibly under the blue socket, or in the mains outlet box - be that a hinged slot type or one of the more modern (awful) flaps.

Cable is not directional. The termination of the cable might be the giveaway. If it is a conventional (Belling-Lee) TV connector (push-fit) then it rather indicates it is intended for either feeding in an external aerial or signal from the power pillar; if it is an F-type connector (threaded) then the intention would more likely be for satellite. Belling-Lee is not suitable for satellite as the cable carries power to the LNB (the bit on the end of the arm of a satellite dish) and a good solid power connection cannot be certain. F-type is and was designed for use on satellite connections but it will work equally well on a TV signal feed with the appropriate connectors or connection adapters.

In our Seville the F-type socket in the mains outlet case is presented next to the aerial amp. It can either be connected to the amp input to feed all outputs, or it can connect directly to the amp output cable that feeds the socket near the TV. Note that the aerial amp will only handle FM, DAB, and TV signals - it will not pass satellite or satellite control signals.

You don't mention the age of your van? If the TV aerial socket is on the same (grey or black) plate as the 12V power plug outlet and/or the connections on the aerial amp are all F-type then modern coax has been used: if the TV socket is a flat plate - possibly shared with a 2-pin d.c. outlet -  then you have an older van with the old type coax. This older coax doesn't have the copper foil screening under the outer braid of more modern cable and so will pick up signals directly from the transmitter or by reflection as you move around inside the van causing pixelation. The poor screening can also allow the cable to pick up electrical interference from such as you heating fan, the microwave, or the water pump. If it is the latter cable then it would be a good idea to replace it with more modern cable such as PF100 or similar. You can buy such cable in a selection of lengths and connectors in bags of 10 inexpensively from Toolstation or Screwfix. There is plenty of on-line help on how to make the connectors up properly.

Finally, in my opinion many of the statements in the CMC handbook about any given site having poor TV reception go back to pre 2010 and analogue TV. DIgital TV is a very different ball game. I have just done some tech checks and I find that Lark Stoke TV transmitter is only 6.5m from M-i-M site and almost due north using vertical polarisation. The signal path has only one very slight path obstruction (what in the trade is known as a 'grazing path') which should be insufficient to cause reception failure of the nature you describe. We were at River Beamish earlier this year which showed as 'poor reception' but in fact the signal (from Chatton) was so strong I had to fit an attenuator so that Red Button would work quickly and reliably! The direction and polarisation of aerials one sees on arrival at a site really does make me wonder sometimes!!

BTW there is another thread which states that Freeview reception had been poor all across the UK so probably no issue with your caravan's equipment!

Read about TV reception issues in the newspaper this morning concerning Freeview. Atmospheric high pressure conditions, West of England and Midlands.:unsure: If you have not experienced problems before then it was probably that.

When I wrote my screed above I looked at your header which says you have a Bailey Cartagena. Maybe it should be updated if you have changed to a Buccaneer?