Sign in to follow this  
ivan leslie

Most overly expensive Car Part - Rear View Mirror

The rear view mirror for my Santa Fe came adrift a couple of days ago. I spoke to the garage today and asked them to get a new one and fit it - the guy checked and told me it would be £745 plus fitting 😱😱😱.  After I picked myself up, he said it was because the mirror had an in built compass & a couple of other things ( none of which I have ever used ) !!   We then looked for an alternative with the same bracket for connection - £35 fitted !! 
When the car was built I would have been happier for the cash for the mirror to have Ben spent on something  else 😳😳

Did you keep broken one?

If you did can these expensive bits inside be taken out and put inside the standard one now fitted?

Edited by David 38
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Did you keep broken one?

If you did can these expensive bits inside be taken out and put inside the standard one now fitted?

Waiting for the new one to arrive.  Will ask the question - good thought, thanks.

Been told the wing mirror on our Skoda Superb L&K is over £400 --- dont want to find out if its true !

3 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

The rear view mirror for my Santa Fe came adrift a couple of days ago. I spoke to the garage today and asked them to get a new one and fit it - the guy checked and told me it would be £745 plus fitting 😱😱😱.  After I picked myself up, he said it was because the mirror had an in built compass & a couple of other things ( none of which I have ever used ) !!   We then looked for an alternative with the same bracket for connection - £35 fitted !! 
When the car was built I would have been happier for the cash for the mirror to have Ben spent on something  else 😳😳

Not that surprising really. £745 retail could be a factory buying price of £80 or less. If the mirror has been produced to a Hyundai drawing it is a "captive part" which the supplier would not produce for anyone else. The mirror industry would not be interested in such a narrow market either. 900% (factory cost to retail) is quite common for such parts. I agree its still shocking though.

Edited by Ern

Having removed or had rear view mirrors fall off on previous old bangers I wondered about taking mine off my Jeep. Until I realised how much was built into it and gave up on the idea. 

I haven’t once used one in the last 20 odd years, and being tall I find it obscures my view through the screen. But I’m stuck with it. 

3 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

If the old mirror is connected up electrically but the new one is not, will that give any compatibility problems with the car and possible error messages ? Can the old one be repaired with glue  - even if it can not, I would keep it and not let the garage throw it away ?

Edited by Paul1957

My Fiat Ducato near side mirror has the GPS aerial and costs about 800 to replace the drivers side was 400 last year .

Dave

Both door mirrors on my 2014 Sorento were flagged up as needing replacement prior to handing it back, one had a broken casing the other had a broken repeater lens in it. Quote from Kia was £1400 plus VAT and fitting.  Trawling eBay no use as the mirrors from cars being broken were being snapped up for silly money as soon as they came on to the site so I bought a used nearside from the USA for £300 and a broken mirror from my local breakers which still had the repeater intact for £20 and swapped it over. The American mirror had extra functions like lane departure and overtaking vehicle warning which I didn’t need so I made one good one from the two. Unfortunately being an LHD mirror although it looked almost identical the mounting angle meant I  couldn’t adjust it to give the correct field of view, it wouldn’t turn in enough for 5’6” me or 4’11”beloved to just see the nearside of the car for reference. Fortunately the guy who collected the car was over 6 feet tall and had no difficulty with it.

When I had my furst Disco, a series 1, I had to have a cracked windscreen replaced. The rear view mirror, which had a slide fit rattled after that, and one day fell off and landed face down on the gear s tick, smashing the glass. A replacement at the local dealer was £75, "sounds cheap now after reading these posts"! I said mine was just the plastic one, not the gold plated one. The guy said they actually had one, but it was an auto dip one that someone had ordered but not collected after a year or so, and he sold it to me for £20. Seemed a very strange way of doing business.

We have the Santa Fe, that is one expensive mirror! Must take care not to damage it.

Its electrochromic or something ( dims automatically) plus has compass. No wonder they are pricey.

Anyone remember or worked on the Morris Minor 1000? The compass had a needle (Extra accessory purchased nowadays for £3.50 :D) And engine management was a hammer and / or spanners and feeler gauges. I can't help feeling that car manufacturers design car parts  to be expensive on purpose especially those vulnerable to knocks and bruises.

On 30/12/2019 at 21:33, david 1220 said:

Been told the wing mirror on our Skoda Superb L&K is over £400 --- dont want to find out if its true !

Here's hoping you never have to Dave.  

On 30/12/2019 at 19:46, David 38 said:

Did you keep broken one?

Spot on Dave. I keep all my broken bits and that has proved to be valuable in the past.

The wing mirrors on the last RR were £800 each, camera and blind spot monitor built in.

The headlamps on the current car are almost £3000 each.

Ian

4 hours ago, IanV8 said:

The wing mirrors on the last RR were £800 each, camera and blind spot monitor built in.

Ian

Just think how many pretty decent complete second hand cars are out there for £3000  (or less!) 

Richard (Dirk) Turpin is alive and well and living with JLR it would seem. 

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Just think how many pretty decent complete second hand cars are out there for £3000  (or less!) 

Richard (Dirk) Turpin is alive and well and living with JLR it would seem. 

Andy

My £745 for a rear view mirror was for a Hyundai, so Richard must have relations spread around the world 😀

On 01/01/2020 at 12:10, IanV8 said:

Ian

Same on my XF,

JLR quoted £325 for just the glass.  Electrochromatic, heated and blind spot.

You worried me with that one as I have a problem with one of my mirrors.

I do remember a problem with one car a Sunbeam Stiletto for those who remember that far back. The axcelerator bracket was fastened to one of the twin carberetors but when I asked about buying a new bracket I was told it only came with the carberetor as well. Found a similar bracket in Woolworths for about £1.50.

Some of these parts prices possibly explains why my new Galaxy with all its fancy gizmos is so much more expensive to insure than the previous one.

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

Some of these parts prices possibly explains why my new Galaxy with all its fancy gizmos is so much more expensive to insure than the previous one.

That does not seem right since the most they will pay to you is the market value of the car unless that has gone up by a lot . Even then, market value does not seem to affect premiums much since a 12 year old car can cost similar to a far newer car from our experience.

I find that a visit to the local car breakers can save hundreds of £’s.!

• +1 1

It’s not the cost of repair damage to your car that influences an insurance premium, it’s the potential cost of a third parties claim. That’s why those in the entertainment industry have to pay enormous amounts. Just consider the claim if you were say a singer, and were driving someone like Ed Sherren across town and you had a prang because you did something daft. How much would the insurers have to pay out if he was injured and couldn’t sing any more??

So insurers base their premiums on all sorts of factors such as what sort of car it is (what’s the “normal” driver of such a car) is it a hot hatch! If so it’s likely to be driven a bit more enthusiastically than a Toyota Yaris, is the driver single and in their 20’s if so they are less experienced, but likely to drive a bit faster/take more chances than a married person in their 40’s and so the list goes on. 

Insurance companies have very clever and complex complex algorithms to work out the risk factor for just about anyone. The problem is that they will always err on the side of caution for them, so we the drivers, get penalised for the muppets.

Andy