Sign in to follow this  
Bulko1

Caravan Sold With Old Tyres

Hi I am a new member and also new to caravanning. I would like to hear  the members thoughts on the following issue that I have: I purchased a 2008 Avondale Avocet from a dealer two months ago. So far I am pleased with the caravan and the dealers response to fixing any issues that I have encountered. However, after reading some of the blogs on this forum I decided to check the dates on my tyres, even though the treads and condition are good. To my dismay I found that they are all older than eight years. To my knowledge there is no law that says that you are not allowed to drive around with tyres older than eight years, Just good common sense and the safety of yourself and others. I have a six month warranty on the caravan and I was wondering what are my rights to ask the dealer to change tyres under the warranty. Like I said at the beginning its your thoughts that maybe useful to me when I go back to the dealer with the request to change the tyres. Ultimately, the tyres will be changed even if I do it out of my own pocket as safety to me is paramount.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I don't think tyres are covered by warranty.  As you say, they are still legal.  If they show no signs of cracking they may have been out of direct sun most of their lives.

It's worth a try with the dealer but don't hold your breath!

You could argue under the CRA that it is not "fit for purpose", but no guarantee of success.

Have you actually raised this issue with the dealer yet?? I cannot see any mention of you having done so in your original post.

Therefore MY advice would be to speak (very nicely) to the dealer, you may find they are happy to change them!

If you don’t ask the question you will never know the answer. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Consider the possibility of the dealer offering only a contribution to the cost of new tyres - and be prepared to accept!

• Like 2

As said you have no legal argument as the tyres are legal . When you change them check the new ones are not more than 6 months old maximum as tyres should be changed as recommended between 5-7 years .

Caravan tyres need to be checked regularly as they can sit for months not used and dry out and crack .

Dave

Worth mentioning to the dealer. They might just swop them for those of another van that is newer.

Probably worth while mentioning but personally I would just get a couple of tyres put on myself, the tyres that I wanted.

Does grate a bit though, my service bloke rang me to say a couple of my tyres were 5 years old, cracking a bit and needed replacing on my previous caravan.

To start with I couldn't understand why one of his tyres had been put on with the date to the outside, 7 months old, and the other put on with the date on the inside but assumed both probably similar ages. :unsure:

When the inside dater was removed due to a puncture and I managed a squint at it, you probably guessed it, it was 28 months old when he put it on. :angry:

Had hung up his damp meter by the time I twigged it.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I am tempted to do what Griff advised and get tyres fitted to my preference. However, in the new year when all gets back to normal, I will approach the dealer and see if they are forthcoming with tyre replacement or a contribution. I will let you know how I get on. 

The purchase is subject to the Consumer Protection Act which says the goods must be fit for purpose. The problem is does this mean things like tyres should be in good condition or should they be within the generally accepted lifespan, as far as I know there has been no test case to cover this. I would take it up with the dealer but if they say no I can see no answer to the legal question.

21 hours ago, Stevan said:

It's worth a try with the dealer but don't hold your breath!

You could argue under the CRA that it is not "fit for purpose", but no guarantee of success.

The term "not fit for purpose" is so widely misused. It has only one meaning - if something is not fit for it's intended purpose it must be just that, completely unusable/unsuitable for the whole purpose it was made and/or intended for.

The OP describes the tyre treads and condition as good. With the only concern being the age, it would seem the tyres are in fact very fit for purpose.

TyreSafe state there is no known technical data that supports a specific age when a tyre should be removed from service but tyre and vehicle manufacturers, as well as trade organisations, may give age recommendations. The time periods can vary considerably.

If invoking the Consumer Rights Act, the line of approach to try, under the circumstances described by the OP, would be to argue the tyres are not of satisfactory quality in that the caravan industry recommendation is to change tyres at 5 years old.

First though, do as Mr Plodd suggests and just ask the dealer nicely.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 1

As promised I can now provide you with the response I received from the dealer reference the old tyres. I am delighted to report that the dealer is more than happy to replace the tyres and the caravan has been booked in for the work to be done. 

Thank you all again for all your thoughts and advice.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Bulko1 said:

As promised I can now provide you with the response I received from the dealer reference the old tyres. I am delighted to report that the dealer is more than happy to replace the tyres and the caravan has been booked in for the work to be done. 

Great outcome! Always Good to hear of a dealer willing to go the extra mile in the name of customer service.

On 30/12/2019 at 16:48, Mr Plodd said:

Have you actually raised this issue with the dealer yet?? I cannot see any mention of you having done so in your original post.

Surely it is a good idea to get advice or at least opinions on this sort of matter beforehand? That is partly what forums like this are for.

Dont forget to check the spare if the caravan tyres are due to be be changed .

Dave

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

Surely it is a good idea to get advice or at least opinions on this sort of matter beforehand? That is partly what forums like this are for.

Yeah but no, but yeah, but......

My first course of action is always to try and sort things out as amicably as possible at the earliest opportunity.

In this particular case that would have resulted in Bulco1 getting his tyres replaced at the earliest opportunity. As it is all sorts of people have suggested all sorts of (as it transpires totally unnecessary) “remedies” such as threatening legal action, invoking the CRA etc when all that was actually NEEDED  was a quick word with the dealer who, as it turns out, is acting in an entirely reasonable manner. 

Had the dealer NOT acted reasonably that is the time to investigate more robust courses of action. You could argue that it is advantageous to have all the information to hand first, but on many occasions that can induce unnecessary worry and stress. 

I’m all for keeping things simple and amicable at the outset, it’s always possible to INCREASE the anti but never possible to DECREASE it, hence my original suggestion of speaking with the dealer first.

Seems my advice was spot on doesn’t it??

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bulko1 said:

A good result from what looks like a decent dealer.

Following the advice given HERE under  TYRES - Crazing on tyres  and visually checking my 8 year old tyres every so often I wonder if the caravan industry recommendation to change tyres at 5 years old is too rigid and should not be taken as the gospel truth. 

To me the tyres are a vital safety item and you should not take chances with them. Once they are 5 years old they need careful monitoring as they can start to degrade but a lot depends on storage conditions.

Our old Coachman had the same tyres on for 10 years before we sold it and we had no problem but it was stored in a sheltered spot and out of the sun. Our Avondale was found to have cracks in the tyres after six years, but that was stored on storage sites more open to the weather.

I do not know if the storage conditions were relevant or they were different makes and quality of tyres though.

2 hours ago, Wildwood said:

To me the tyres are a vital safety item and you should not take chances with them. Once they are 5 years old they need careful monitoring as they can start to degrade but a lot depends on storage conditions.

Our old Coachman had the same tyres on for 10 years before we sold it and we had no problem but it was stored in a sheltered spot and out of the sun. Our Avondale was found to have cracks in the tyres after six years, but that was stored on storage sites more open to the weather.

I do not know if the storage conditions were relevant or they were different makes and quality of tyres though.

I suspect that the safety aspect of caravan tyres is often overstated. Yes, a tyre failure can be inconvenient and generally expensive, but is there any evidence of tyre failure on a caravan actually causing a serious (death or serious injury) accident?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We saw a very nasty moment as a caravan tyre burst on an outfit coming the other way-the caravan was all over the place and smoke everywhere-luckily  car driver was going slowly and pulled over safely but it could have been far worse. Scarey to see. Tyres to me area  safety item and always better safe than sorry0if in doubt change them! Well done BTW-sounds a great dealer and I would reward them with my custom eg for servicing etc as much as possible with that sort of treatment!

As someone who investigated the claims for a major insurer I can assure you defective tyres can blow suddenly and that can certainly result in serious accidents. Older tyres need careful examination and should be replaced if you have any suspicion of a problem. 

You can get new ones fitted for a little over £100 in most cases, so why risk a car and caravan worth thousands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

Bulko1:
Since you live just down the road from me (& where I was actually born LOL) I would be very interested to know the name of the dealer. Especially since our local main dealer used to be Pedlys of Bedworth -who are no more.
He deserves a mention just for his excellent response!

19 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We saw a very nasty moment as a caravan tyre burst on an outfit coming the other way-the caravan was all over the place and smoke everywhere-luckily  car driver was going slowly and pulled over safely but it could have been far worse. Scarey to see. Tyres to me area  safety item and always better safe than sorry0if in doubt change them! Well done BTW-sounds a great dealer and I would reward them with my custom eg for servicing etc as much as possible with that sort of treatment!

I find that rather strange because when I experienced a blowout at motorway speeds I wouldn't have noticed that I had one except for the big bang and seeing bits of rubber flying through the air in my rear view mirror. The outfit behaved absolutely impeccably although  I was towing at 100% weight ratio and I even needed to negotiate a bend in a slip road before being able to come to a halt.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Friends father towing a small single axle with a medium sized car ran over a piece of debris on a motorway, instant deflation and his whole outfit swerved from lane 1 to lane 3 facing approaching traffic.

For every success story there can be a failure.

PS. Just to add it was a caravan tyre which deflated.

Edited by Griff
PS added.