Sign in to follow this  
Maffffster

Caravan Legs

So while recovering from knee operations, i've been looking into self leveling leg systems for caravan and was wondering if anyone has had them fitted ? 

If so, who did you use and would you recommend having a system fitted ? 

thanks 

bored of bed rest lol  

Two observations.

1. They are not lightweight items so eat into the available payload significantly. 

2. They are VERY EXPENSIVE bits of kit.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Mr Plodd, now you're just spoiling my bed rest lol 

VERY what bits of kit????

Sorry!! 

You can now start thinking of something somewhat LESS expensive for your caravan.

(Their are lots of goodies to be had) 

Andy

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

VERY what bits of kit????

Expensive bits of kit, For some reason my link wasn’t accepted, now has been

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

Hi, we had the Ep self leveling system fitted by Rosima. Agree with Mr Plodd at it being an expensive bit of kit and an extravagant purchase but for us it was worth it. Makes fitting the ALKO locks on the TA so much easier, now just unhitch raise the near side wheels of the ground fit the ALKO locks then just press the leveling button and hey presto plus It has totally eliminated floor bounceB) 

V8Vmarkie .. thats the main reason i was considering getting them. I've got T/A segovia and it a pain in the backside jacking it up. I've tried carrying a trolley jack, but thats starting to twist, i've now brought a bottle jack that only just fits and lifts it high enough 

Just now, Maffffster said:

V8Vmarkie .. thats the main reason i was considering getting them. I've got T/A segovia and it a pain in the backside jacking it up. I've tried carrying a trolley jack, but thats starting to twist, i've now brought a bottle jack that only just fits and lifts it high enough 

I would check with your insurer as to the cost increase on your premium if you were to use just ONE Alko wheel lock and something like a Nemesis on the other wheel.

I bet the combined cost of a Nemesis (or similar) and the (possible) increase in your insurance premium will be vastly less than the cost of a self levelling system.

Worth a phone call to ask them at least! 

Andy

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I would check with your insurer as to the cost increase on your premium if you were to use just ONE Alko wheel lock and something like a Nemesis on the other wheel.

I bet the combined cost of a Nemesis (or similar) and the (possible) increase in your insurance premium will be vastly less than the cost of a self levelling system.

Worth a phone call to ask them at least! 

Andy

Hi Andy, funnily enough I made that change midway through this years policy. Reason for doing so was mostly to do with how it’s stored on the drive, the near side is parked alongside a picket fence which I’ve modified  so I can remove the section where the wheels line up, I could always get the Barcelona wheels to match up and fit the locks, since changing to the Coachman it’s been nothing but a nightmare, the wheel design means it’s every other scallop the lock fits in, hence getting a Nemesis, insurance increase was peanuts :) life is so much easier now we have the leveling system fitted, the nemesis is now fitted to the rear off side wheel as a further deterrent + the self leveling system is a further security measureB) 

We have just invested in the Ma-Ve system for our campervan. WOW what a difference no more driving up ramps to level up,  doors do not swing shut , the  floor does not bounce and we can level the van without getting out into the wet ,also can work it from app on phones

There was an article covering the different self levelling systems in this months Practical Caravan Magazine. It wasn't to detailed but might be worth a look.

We have the ep system on our new Bucanneer ; so impressed; it's brilliant and makes the fitting of the alko wheel locks a doddle too-bonus. Major plus is the fact the legs are so sturdy the caravan doesn't move at all when it's set up. Never been so stable. Well worth the weight/expense.

On 30/12/2019 at 17:01, Maffffster said:

I had it fitted on our Segovia earlier this year........best piece of kit ever. Regardless of putting the wheel locks on the ease of setting up is great. Jack up one side, fit the locks, drop it down and let it level itself. All done in a matter of minutes. Yes expensive, but well worth it. I don't think I have used my 4wd mover since having it fitted :-)

If you plan on keeping the van long term its a worthy investment.

Lee

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Leemondo129 said:

I had it fitted on our Segovia earlier this year........best piece of kit ever. Regardless of putting the wheel locks on the ease of setting up is great. Jack up one side, fit the locks, drop it down and let it level itself. All done in a matter of minutes. Yes expensive, but well worth it. I don't think I have used my 4wd mover since having it fitted :-)

If you plan on keeping the van long term its a worthy investment.

Lee

HI Lee, 

Can i ask where you had this done and a rough price ? - thanks 

Have a look on the E&P website for contact details of fitters in your area.

The full system is around £4K for a caravan but for about half you could have the ‘compact’ kit which is just the jacks under the axle on each side so side to side levelling is automatic and you then adjust front to back using the  jockey wheel and existing steadies - had this kit fitted to our last caravan and was v good. Our newer Buccaneer has the full jack/steady auto system fitted from new. I have found both systems very useful and may allow some folk to continue caravanning.

• Like 1

Another fan of E&P system, we have the compact version, wel worth the investment.

• Like 1

Might wait and see if there is any offers at the NEC caravan show next month 

Posted (edited)
On 30/12/2019 at 16:46, Maffffster said:

So while recovering from knee operations

You have my sympathies Maffffster, I've had 6 Op's on my right knee, it's still not great but they are reluctant to fit me a metal one as I'm only 48. 

Whenever we go caravanning after I've had surgery I always get the Mrs to put the legs up or down (with an electric drill) or ask someone in an adjacent pitch, most folk are happy to help.

Edited by Borussia 1900

4 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You have my sympathies Maffffster, I've had 6 Op's on my right knee, it's still not great but they are reluctant to fit me a metal one as I'm only 48. 

Whenever we go caravanning after I've had surgery I always get the Mrs to put the legs up or down (with an electric drill) or ask someone in an adjacent pitch, most folk are happy to help.

I'm only 42 and had key hole on both knees, hopefully it will keep me going a bit longer. Just struggling getting the swelling down on my right knee, the left seems fine. I'm just bored of sitting around as i'm not someone that likes to sit still.

My wife would be only to happy to help put the legs down but i like the idea of the compact version to help with putting the Alko locks on and for the added stabilisation  

On 07/01/2020 at 11:34, Maffffster said:

HI Lee, 

Can i ask where you had this done and a rough price ? - thanks 

Ours was fitted by Rosmia, they are based in West Sussex. Luckily for us our dealer arranged everything including for them to come and use the  dealers facilities, this made things a lot easier for me as I dropped the van off at 8am and collected later the same day, would of been 3 days had we took it to Rosmia. Our price fully fitted not including a remote control was £3019 

Update ..... I've ordered the fully system from Rosmia ...... cant wait 

Picked up the caravan yesterday and love the system already. Very simple to use and makes putting on the twin Al-Ko locks so so so simple. Just a same im not gonna get to use the caravan at easter now