Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Auld Smeesh

In Car Distractions ?

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

Our Jeep has the foot "hand" brake and very effective and easy to use if you have arthritis in your hands.  Reminded me of a car that I drove way back in the sixties, Mercedes or Buick?

Any one remember the under dash handbrakes?

The foot operated parking brake works fine if the vehicle has automatic transmission, but is a hopeless device if manual !

I a certainly recall the under dash parking brake on older Mercedes. They were (and possibly still are) VERY common on American cars.

Andy

My (American) 1957 Ford has the under-dash hand operated parking brake, pull out to apply and twist to release. Seeing as it is all new and refurbished it is really affective but it isn't uncommon to find them siezed or even removed as a lot of Americans are content to just leave the transmission in Park.

56 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

My (American) 1957 Ford has the under-dash hand operated parking brake, pull out to apply and twist to release. Seeing as it is all new and refurbished it is really affective but it isn't uncommon to find them siezed or even removed as a lot of Americans are content to just leave the transmission in Park.

When I first had an automatic, an '85 Vauxhall Senator, my local workshop was surprised the handbrake worked as even then many people just put them in Park and didn't bother with the handbrake.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

The foot operated parking brake works fine if the vehicle has automatic transmission, but is a hopeless device if manual !

I a certainly recall the under dash parking brake on older Mercedes. They were (and possibly still are) VERY common on American cars.

Andy

Come to think of it, you pulled the handbrake on by hand and then used a foot lever to release it or the other way around.  Not too sure?

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I’m another hater of the electrically applied  parking brake. Give me a proper LEVER to pull, then I KNOW exactly how well the parking brake is applied rather than relying on some electric motor hidden underneath the car that I have no actual control over. 

I appreciate that just about every car manufacturer has done away with a “proper” parking brake lever, that doesn’t mean it’s an improvement though.

I am sure I will (when I have no option other than having a car with one) learn to live with the infernal things. 

Andy

My (granted limited) experience of electric hand brakes gave me three things to hate about them:
1, if used in an emergency (that's what they used to be called after all!) there is no control over the amount of application, it's either on or off.....potentially VERY dangerous!. Having had master cylinder failure some years ago I appreciate a hand brake with some 'feel' to it.
2, effective auto-application on ign. switch-off cannot be relied on, The Astra I hired some years ago, started to roll away on one occasion!  I was only just getting some confidence in it. I now know what rear wiper is really for.........a grab handle LOL.
3, having even more unnecessary complications & potential repair bills is not an advancement in my book....it's just a sales gimmick!
The only useful thing I can say about them is they make up for the incompetents who can't manage a hill start without rolling back. That always assuming the things work!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

My (granted limited) experience of electric hand brakes gave me three things to hate about them:
1, if used in an emergency (that's what they used to be called after all!) there is no control over the amount of application, it's either on or off.....potentially VERY dangerous!. Having had master cylinder failure some years ago I appreciate a hand brake with some 'feel' to it.
2, effective auto-application on ign. switch-off cannot be relied on, The Astra I hired some years ago, started to roll away on one occasion!  I was only just getting some confidence in it. I now know what rear wiper is really for.........a grab handle LOL.
3, having even more unnecessary complications & potential repair bills is not an advancement in my book....it's just a sales gimmick!
The only useful thing I can say about them is they make up for the incompetents who can't manage a hill start without rolling back. That always assuming the things work!

1. granted.

2. Not all have this feature, probably better without it.

3. Not really a distraction, more a case of progress that isn't!

"Hill holder" is often independent of handbrake, being a hold on the footbrake.

6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Ford Cortina Mk1 with the optional bench front seat, mushroom handle to the left of the steering wheel.

Standard Vanguard Mk1, lever to the right of steering wheel with a squeeze grip instead of a button.

Edited by Stevan

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I’m another hater of the electrically applied  parking brake.

Some models of Citroen's C5 have electronic handbrakes and for the DIY mechanic, the simple job of replacing rear brake pads becomes a nightmare.   The handbrake has to be deactivated using a diagnostic machine to make sure that it doesn't come on whilst doing the job.   Once the new pads are in place, the brake needs to be re-calibrated via the diagnostics.     Thank goodness I have a manual handbrake.

Sat nag keeping repeating "Due to traffic conditions your route has been changed"The route is still the same. This has happened several times on the M6 going through the road works by Stafford

5 minutes ago, g7eor said:

Sat nag keeping repeating "Due to traffic conditions your route has been changed"The route is still the same. This has happened several times on the M6 going through the road works by Stafford

It may just mean the timings have changed, not necessarily the route.

1 hour ago, g7eor said:

I was not too sure what was best to do when I got this helpful message.

FB0BE4EC-BFFD-42F6-B1E2-1318C5F1AC8E.thumb.jpeg.3a17979b15068eadca8854c09e94c6c4.jpeg

John

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

1. granted.

2. Not all have this feature, probably better without it.

3. Not really a distraction, more a case of progress that isn't!

"Hill holder" is often independent of handbrake, being a hold on the footbrake.

Ford Cortina Mk1 with the optional bench front seat, mushroom handle to the left of the steering wheel.

Standard Vanguard Mk1, lever to the right of steering wheel with a squeeze grip instead of a button.

Zephyr/Zodiac had the same arrangement. Could never come to terms with the column gear change.

9 hours ago, robloasby said:

Zephyr/Zodiac had the same arrangement. Could never come to terms with the column gear change.

I had the Wyvern version - didn’t like the column change but loved the front bench seat . Served many a purpose 😀😀

13 hours ago, micktheshed said:

The Tiguans EHB  can be used to stop the car in an emergency, but it operates on  all four brakes and uses the ABS, you need to hold the switch up and keep it there.

I've only had EHB for four years and had zero problems, i prefer them to a normal handbrake which needs adjustment every year.

Position 1.15 on this video.

23 hours ago, Durbanite said:

As said most touch screens are probably voice activated so no need to fiddle with them.  Our current Jeep has all the controls on the one stalk.

Aye true Durby but many still "fidget a futer" just cos its there to be futered with...

20 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Our Jeep has the foot "hand" brake and very effective and easy to use if you have arthritis in your hands.  Reminded me of a car that I drove way back in the sixties, Mercedes or Buick?

Aye ma Merc has the foot brake /hand brake. Being a automatic I tend to forget its there to my cost when it went for its MOT as it had to be serviced due to lack of use. use it all the time now... 

GAS ...:)

A switch VERY  rarely goes wrong, and is cheap to replace. 

A touch screen is a “bit” more expensive!!

Andy

Did anyone drive the old Citroen DS?  The left pedal was a brake that could be held on by a dashboard knob.  The middle was a button that did not remove, it responded to pressure and operated hydraulic brakes - (not assist).  As the car had a 'manual' gear change, but an automatic clutch, people not used to hit would move off and go for the clutch - coming to a sudden halt!

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, micktheshed said:

They all have an emergency application procedure that’s easy to follow if you read the manual, as for whether it’s applied or not, cable handbrakes can also let go so I always park my car in gear and as for maintenance it’s just a motor and switch, do you insist on keep-fit windows and have central locking removed for the same reason?

Have a 2019 Audi A6 Avant courtesy car today and this is where touchscreens do let you down - as I am driving I want to change radio station, which is a ball-ache exercise of epic proportions (the old MMI click wheel was superb). Also surprised to find out it doesn’t have radar cruise control which my 5 year old Passat does! Oh, and it’s a mercilessly boring, not especially comfortable and definitely not how I would squander £40k + on a car!

3 hours ago, xtrailman said:

I've only had EHB for four years and had zero problems, i prefer them to a normal handbrake which needs adjustment every year.

A normal hand brake should not need adjusting every year, only if it has been set up wrong in the first place. Its cable should be slightly slack with the hand brake off so that the brake auto adjusters can work properly.

15 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

A normal hand brake should not need adjusting every year, only if it has been set up wrong in the first place. Its cable should be slightly slack with the hand brake off so that the brake auto adjusters can work properly.

in my experience the cable will always stretch and will not always hold on a hill.

It was only when Mazda fitted the EHB to a cx-5 that it won its segment tow car test in 2015, previous versions had failed the tow car hill start test...

A few years ago I flew in to Berlin and picked up my fly/drive-a newish Smart.

Curiously the attendant came with me to the multi storey car park?

He started the car after showing me how to operate it.

Off I went to the countryside to have dinner at a lovely windmill/restaurant.

Came out after a lovely meal-could not start the car!

Restaurant phoned the local Merc garage and a couple of mechanics appeared.

They all had a good laugh at the Englishman’s (Scottish) expense.

They failed to get the car started!

Luckily for me a granny in the village had a Smart car and started it in seconds much to the bafflement of the “mechanics”😂😂.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

A switch VERY  rarely goes wrong, and is cheap to replace. 

A touch screen is a “bit” more expensive!!

Andy

I've only had a few switch failures but never a screen failure, so i'm not sure your statement is true.

1 hour ago, xtrailman said:

I've only had a few switch failures but never a screen failure, so i'm not sure your statement is true.

Never had a screen failure?

Both my Citroen Picasso Grand 2 litre diesels screens would fail to boot up at the most inappropriate moments eg in a rush to get to the airport!

Black screen!!!

Of course eventually I would get them to work.

Much prefer all the “ancient” rotary switches in my 2017 Seat Alhambra.

NIL faults in almost 40000 miles carries 7  5 adults+2 teens and tows 2200 K max kerb weight 1845K.

20 hours ago, Stevan said:

I am sure that the Riley police cars used to have the handbrake on the right side of the driver's seat.

I have driven a lorry although can't remember what is was that the hand brake was like a railway signal box leaver and to apply you had to pull it back and forth two or three times to get it to bite, then to release there was a button on top which you had to bang with the palm of your hand whilst pulling back the lever.

12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I am sure that the Riley police cars used to have the handbrake on the right side of the driver's seat.

It was common practice on BMC cars for many years to do exactly that! It enabled the fitting of bench seats or very wide singles that were, in effect still bench seats. (Austin A60 Morris Oxford Wolseley 16/60 type vehicles) 

I think the location was moved to the centre as a safety measure because in the event of an emergency the front seat passenger could also access the handbrake. Not now necessary with the inception some years ago of (compulsory) dual circuit hydraulic brakes.

Andy