Truma dual solar panel

Can anyone please help I have a bailey unicorn s3 caditz 2015 and just been in for service and has had a new battery charger fitted as last one stopped working.

all fine now but can someone please help how do you check if the solar panel is charging the battery there are no lights on the solar battery charger.

I have checked the cables from solar panel to charger with multimeter and seems to be charging but don't know how to test if charging battery.

With your multimeter check the voltage at the battery terminals in good daylight with the battery full, or near full.

If it shows over 13 Volts its charging!

When I had this problem it was because the aux battery voltage had dropped below 12V (following a break in the solar cable) and the solar charger had cut out (a safety precaution). Solved by "jump starting" the aux battery with a fully charged one to bring the voltage up to 12V and it kicked in with the normal flashing lights.

The supplied Truma instructions are useless. With the help of someone on this forum I tracked down the OEM user booklet - much more comprehensive and informative. I now keep a pdf copy on my laptop.

They are available on the Photonic Universe website photonicuniverse.com

31 minutes ago, CliveB said:

When I had this problem it was because the aux battery voltage had dropped below 12V (following a break in the solar cable) and the solar charger had cut out (a safety precaution). Solved by "jump starting" the aux battery with a fully charged one to bring the voltage up to 12V and it kicked in with the normal flashing lights.

The supplied Truma instructions are useless. With the help of someone on this forum I tracked down the OEM user booklet - much more comprehensive and informative. I now keep a pdf copy on my laptop.

They are available on the Photonic Universe website photonicuniverse.com

Thank you Clive I have looked on the website but can't find out on the truma can you please leave the link for the right documentation also should the green light be flashing .

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

With your multimeter check the voltage at the battery terminals in good daylight with the battery full, or near full.

If it shows over 13 Volts its charging!

Hi Stevan 

Just checked with multimeter and battery shows 12.6v and no flashing green light on solar charger.

when I put multimeter on the + and - on the solar side part of the charger I get a reading of 21.78v but on the battery 1 side I get 0.28 

20191230_113255.jpg

2 minutes ago, sarmieke said:

Hi Stevan 

Just checked with multimeter and battery shows 12.6v and no flashing green light on solar charger.

when I put multimeter on the + and - on the solar side part of the charger I get a reading of 21.78v but on the battery 1 side I get 0.28 

With the battery down at 12.6v you are either charging a very low battery or not charging at all!

Sounds very much like the controller is not working.

Exactly why not is another matter! My guess, and it is only a guess, is that with battery1 showing way less that the battery itself, there is a break in the circuit between controller and battery and the controller has simply shut down.

If the controller is suspect then it might be worth trying this for very little money.

I bought something very similar when I was tinkering with solar options, to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually worked and worked well, and you can see charging voltage etc. very simple to fit and connect.

I now keep it as a backup should my Epever mppt controller ever let me down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-LCD-Display-PWM-Auto-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger-Controller-10A/184101532894?epid=12027362812&hash=item2add4e74de:g:VPMAAOSwB0lcS~q6

Edited by Sea&Sand

Thank you all for your help have ordered a new pwm  battery charger controller will be here sometime tomorrow.

will  have another look at it then I will have to take the consumer unit out  and try and trace the wires from controller 

to battery. Could I just connect 2 wires to the battery1 on controller to my battery terminals and see if that works.

Most  installations will have a fuse on the battery side of the solar charging.  0.28V indicates NO CONNECTION to the battery

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

33 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

Most  installations will have a fuse on the battery side of the solar charging.  0.28V indicates NO CONNECTION to the battery

would this be the fuse see attached picture I have tested with my multimeter and get a sound so it looks as though the fuse is ok

20191230_145954.jpg

No, your controller will be no more than 10A, that's the main battery fuse.....

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

No, your controller will be no more than 10A, that's the main battery fuse.....

Thank you for your reply any idea where I would find the fuse 

Truma DB1024_and_DB2024_instruction_manual_v2_15_June_2015.pdf

11 hours ago, sarmieke said:

Thank you Clive I have looked on the website but can't find out on the truma can you please leave the link for the right documentation also should the green light be flashing .

Just looked on the site and it appears "Resources" section is being updated. I'll get the laptop out and see if I can attach the PDF file.

Edited by CliveB
File attached
11 hours ago, sarmieke said:

Hi Stevan 

20191230_113255.jpg

Sorry, just catching  up ..  This suggests to me that there is a break between controller and battery (there is no fuse). Voltage at battery connection should be the same as across the battery.

9 hours ago, sarmieke said:

Thank you all for your help have ordered a new pwm  battery charger controller will be here sometime tomorrow.

will  have another look at it then I will have to take the consumer unit out  and try and trace the wires from controller 

to battery. Could I just connect 2 wires to the battery1 on controller to my battery terminals and see if that works.

In my Pegasus the solar charging cable connects directly to the battery. Still sounds like a poor connection at the controller and/or battery.

Unlikely to be a break in the cable and no fuse.

Why not get some twin cable and try connecting the battery and controller directly?  If this fails to get the light flashing then this would point to a faulty controller, but it could save unwanted expense.

On 30/12/2019 at 10:03, sarmieke said:

Can anyone please help I have a bailey unicorn s3 caditz 2015 and just been in for service and has had a new battery charger fitted as last one stopped working.

all fine now but can someone please help how do you check if the solar panel is charging the battery there are no lights on the solar battery charger.

I have checked the cables from solar panel to charger with multimeter and seems to be charging but don't know how to test if charging battery.

I also have a 2015 S3 Cadiz and have a 15amp fuse next to the 30amp  Battery fuse (see attached photo). The 15amp fuse is between the Truma solar charger and the battery.  There is also an in-line connector between the 15amp fuse and the solar charger. This can easily become disconnected.  If the connector is fully plugged in and the fuse is OK, you should be able to measure the battery volts at the Solar charger output to battery  with a multimeter. If there is an open circuit between the Solar charger and the battery there will be the full PV panel volts on the Truma Solar input terminals and zero volts on the Truma battery output terminals. The LED should also be either a steady Green or flashing depending whether the battery is charged fully or not.  No lit LED if there is a blown 15amp fuse or an open circuit between Solar charger and Battery.

From what you have said in your posts your Truma Solar charger may be OK and its just a bad connection.

Good luck.

I have also attached a link to the Truma manual.

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-solar-dual-battery-charger-operating-instructions-2019-uk-en.pdf

Photo showing  the Blue 15amp Fuse and the white inline connector fully plugged in.

In my 2015 S3 Cadiz the fuses are located on the right,  under the Near Side fixed bed.

CadizFuses2.thumb.jpg.c66a6c0063e355ab9186cc566ff26a57.jpg

3 hours ago, TintentTerry said:

I also have a 2015 S3 Cadiz and have a 15amp fuse next to the 30amp  Battery fuse (see attached photo). The 15amp fuse is between the Truma solar charger and the battery.  There is also an in-line connector between the 15amp fuse and the solar charger. This can easily become disconnected.  If the connector is fully plugged in and the fuse is OK, you should be able to measure the battery volts at the Solar charger output to battery  with a multimeter. If there is an open circuit between the Solar charger and the battery there will be the full PV panel volts on the Truma Solar input terminals and zero volts on the Truma battery output terminals. The LED should also be either a steady Green or flashing depending whether the battery is charged fully or not.  No lit LED if there is a blown 15amp fuse or an open circuit between Solar charger and Battery.

From what you have said in your posts your Truma Solar charger may be OK and its just a bad connection.

Good luck.

I have also attached a link to the Truma manual.

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-solar-dual-battery-charger-operating-instructions-2019-uk-en.pdf

Photo showing  the Blue 15amp Fuse and the white inline connector fully plugged in.

In my 2015 S3 Cadiz the fuses are located on the right,  under the Near Side fixed bed.

CadizFuses2.thumb.jpg.c66a6c0063e355ab9186cc566ff26a57.jpg

Hi Terry thanks for your reply I will have another look but don't recall another wire like that next to the battery fuse

could it be at back of the consumer unit.

On 31/12/2019, sarmieke said:

Hi Terry thanks for your reply I will have another look but don't recall another wire like that next to the battery fuse

could it be at back of the consumer unit.

Happy New Year! to all  Forum readers.

Not sure why Baileys would put the fuse in a different place on an identical 2015 van, but there again Baileys work in mysterious ways. I have copied and pasted from this forum the comments from matelodave

matelodave posted  September 7, 2018 (edited)

The fuse for the solar controller is taped into the wiring loom located on the floor under the nearside rear bed adjacent to the fridge housing - you have to root about a bit to find it.

It's easy to dislodge it if you wodge stuff into the underbed locker.

It's also worth checking the connections to the solar controller - mine weren't properly tightened and worked loose.

Edited by TintentTerry
Text layout
On 30/12/2019 at 11:55, Stevan said:

With the battery down at 12.6v you are either charging a very low battery or not charging at all!

A battery showing 12.6 volts  is FULLY charged  (but the reading needs to be taken at least 30 minutes after it has been charged AND any solar panel is disconnected/in the dark):

See here

Its worth printing off the little coloured chart and keeping it for reference.

A CHARGING voltage needs to be a bit higher than 12.6 volts though.

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

A battery showing 12.6 volts  is FULLY charged  (but the reading needs to be taken at least 30 minutes after it has been charged AND any solar panel is disconnected/in the dark):

See here

Its worth printing off the little coloured chart and keeping it for reference.

A CHARGING voltage needs to be a bit higher than 12.6 volts though.

Andy

Yes, if a battery shows 12.6v it is either fully charged, and not receiving charge, or it is well down and receiving charge.

That's what I think I said!

If it is any where near full it will show well over the 12.6v that Sarmieke said if any charge is actually going in.