Sign in to follow this  
Fraczish

New entry level Vs used Mid range Van

When we started looking we had done our homework and knew the layout we wanted. We looked at a couple of late used vans. First up the price differential to a new one was insignificant and secondly OH made the point that with a new one we (or she!!) knew who had used the bed and loo, who am I to argue...

Admittedly we did change to another new one after 18 months for a few minor differences to layout.

My advice is know what you want, look a forums like this and others, really look at how you want to live. If you are lucky enough like us to be able to buy new their are some really good deals to be had for really well equipped vans. To sum it up, do your homework and buy the best you can afford.

8 hours ago, Fraczish said:

Thank you for the replies.

The question of layout/weights and trying a cheap van  wasn't really what this thread was about.

We are on our second used Van of low value, we are looking to upgrade to a newer & lighter Van 

I do not have the B+E and currently don't have a need for it.

I've really enjoyed reading people's different viewpoints and is very helpful! We are going to look at a few different options in the next week or so. Hopefully I can update this in a sort while

We started off with a cheapie to see how we liked it and then entered up buying basic new.

If a choice between the two you need to workout what you need, My van has heating, hot water, a loo, shower, TV aerial and a layout that works for us a family. I don't need anymore, but we don't do anywhere near the number of nights away that others here do. Given the choice and when the kids are older, we would have a big rear washroom and double bed, but that layout wouldn't work for us right now.

I'm guessing by now you've worked out what you need, so it will be a case of do you need what is extra on the mid range model.

I know many people swear by Alde heating but I am not convinced. We were away last year in near freezing temperatures in a caravan with 5.7 m body and Alde heating and there was never any problem keeping the caravan heated. Personally unless you are looking at a big twin axle model I doubt the extra cost and weight is justified

I'd try to get nearly new on the spec you want. What I will say is we looked at a Swift Challenger (new) and a Conqueror (new). We preferred the lower spec Challenger.

Get what really suits you as changing it maybe a costly affair.

Russ

Posted (edited)

I would look at a new dealer special these normally come with all the bits you want such as  ATC, upgraded cushions and blinds, solar panels and alloys etc.    
You will also benefit from a longer warranty and the caravan will be new with no defects from the previous owner.

Edited by Damienbrown84

Posted (edited)

Personally I think before you buy a dealer special you have to look at what you actually want in the deal. Upgraded upholstery in particular often is simply a different design and has no real benefit nor do different alloys and probably not different blinds. ATC is good if it is fitted as might be an alarm but an external gas point may or may not be for you as are most of the others.

I would also see what the deal is on the standard model, as I found when getting quotes from the same dealer, I was offered more against a standard model than the dealer special. When I queried this I was told that the extras cost them, and  it was reflected in the trade in allowance.

Edited by Wildwood

Hi everyone, 

After much consideration, we have decided to take a different course. We are selling ours privately and looking to "upgrade" to a 2011-2013 Van. Then possibly make the jump to a new one in a few years time. Appreciate everyone's comments and views, they really were very helpful! 

Happy New year everyone!