Sign in to follow this  
George&Ade

Awning 12v pump or manual hand pump?

Have decided to purchase an air awning in the spring(probably the Kampa Rally Pro 390)

Just wondering if any "more mature" caravanners here use an electric pump or manage with a manual pump.

Im 61 now and apart from a full knee replacement in April,I would class myself as reasonably fit.

Your thoughts please.

I have a Kampa fiesta pro  and find it doesn't take as long to blow it up manually than using a 12v pump and the kampa pump will not over inflate the tubes.There are probably better 12v pumps out there than i used but the i couldn't justify the cost.

BTW i am also 61 and getting less fit by the day :lol:

We have kampa 390pro. With the kampa gale pump. 
As I have back troubles, using the hand pump is a do a bit, rest a bit procedure. 
using the electric pump is a connect up, switch on and wait procedure 

The pumps are a bit noisy, and the power cables are not mega long, so you have to get car near. 
for me it’s electric every time

I use a Kampa gale pump with a 12 volt extension lead that plugs into the car so I don't need the car very close.

I bought a Kampa Gale pump used for £20. A great bit of kit. Takes about 5 mins to inflate our 260 awning. It is a bit noisy but I put it on a rubber mat to help quieten it down a little.

Do your research fully before buying any awning. There have been more than a few reports on here about Kampa’s  tendency to leak, especially around the zip area. (I had one that tended to “seep” through the roof. It wasn’t condensation,) 

(About 30 minutes) before purchasing the replacement for YOUR caravan we looked at all of the awnings at the NEC show. We came to the conclusion that those offered by Sunncamp offered the best compromise between cost and quality. The material used in the Airvolution range is mush thicker than that used by Kampa (closer to Dorema weight) and the design features were very well thought out. Ring me if you would like more info! 

I use a 12v pump for mine. It takes 6 minutes to fully inflate a 3.9m awning. I also have the hand pump (just in case) but have never used it. (I’m a fit 65 yr old) 

Andy

Does anyone know what current these inflators draw?  Having tried to inflate a caravan tyre with a high pressure pump which blew the 10A aux fuse in the caravan I am now a little wary (although I do notice that most appear use the car socket which seems less convenient).

Not sure if this is any solution for anyone but it worked well for me when we had our Kampa Air.

I used this along with a Sevylor Pump, connected straight to the caravan battery, very heavy duty adaptor and away it went.

Obviously, only of use if you can get at the caravan battery easily, which I could. A true 5 minute job!:)

No faffing with extension leads, getting the car near enough to reach the battery / 12v sockets, no blown fuses.

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 09.58.16.png

I use an electric pump, the Kampa yellow one, to blow up our air ace 400, takes less than 2 minutes.

I used to plug it into the car’s 13 pin socket but then bought a 12v alarm battery, about £10 from the bay,  which fits in the carrying bag and will inflate the awning about 5 times on one charge.

Ian

Lets nothing get into yet ANOTHER poled V Air awning debate eh? 

Andy

Hand pump for me quicker than an electric one, and I find it very little effort, although I’m still in pretty decent nick health wise. 

When we bought our awning we asked about an electric pump the dealer said get one if you want  but you won't need it. He was right the awning pumps up quicker with the manual pump. I'm a fit ish 67 year old 

6 hours ago, CliveB said:

Does anyone know what current these inflators draw?  Having tried to inflate a caravan tyre with a high pressure pump which blew the 10A aux fuse in the caravan I am now a little wary (although I do notice that most appear use the car socket which seems less convenient).

As the 12V outlet in the van is restricted to 4A and will obviously draw power from the van battery, I always use the car socket and keep the engine running whilst it's pumping.

I have both manual and electric pumps and nowadays always use the electric one, but it probably takes longer, even for a small awning, and is noisy. It frees me up to do other things whilst it's pumping.

I run my pump from the 12v power outlet inside the caravan WITHOUT the car being hitched up, let alone with the engine running.

Works just fine, hasn’t blown a fuse either. 

Andy

Electric pump without a doubt.  You are on holiday so why exhaust yourself before you even start?  LOL!

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

Maybe I will start with a manual pump and see how I get on.(Or even get the other half to do it..lol)

Mr Plodd.

I will certainly have a look at your suggestion about the Sunncamp..thank you.(cant wait to get to the caravan to start looking for goodies etc...):)

Hi. We got a Kampa Gale electric pump.  Fantastic. May or may not be quicker than a manual pump but by Jove it is easier. Long lead so plugged it into the 12v TV point just inside  the van door ( Remember to plug it in before dragging the awning through the rail).  Plug in to awning and wait.

Then after 8 years of sterling service ( including 6 weeks seasonal stretches) the Kampa went Pop.   Replaced it with a Vango only because we could get a Vango in a size that didn’t cross a window.  No issues with the Vango but the Kampa Gale pump won’t fit it and can’t find  any adaptors.  

If anyone has come across an adaptor, shout up please.

nanamel

I have been using for 2 years a 5.2 L double action hand pump from Decathlon, it has a longer body and higher capacity cylinder. To be honest the main reason was the taller pump meant I stopped pulling the end of the Kampa pump. This also means I dont have to stand with back bent to use it.

I have just purchased a rechargeable battery (no cables, so no distance restriction) inflater as we have inflation tow behind toys for the jetski and I very impressed with it so will try it on the air awning and may use this. Its rate of inflation is WAY more than I can manage with the pump, no getting tired as well.....lol - this rechargable pump was £18 posted from eBay.

Posted (edited)
On 30/12/2019 at 16:57, Nanamel said:

Hi. We got a Kampa Gale electric pump.  Fantastic. May or may not be quicker than a manual pump but by Jove it is easier. Long lead so plugged it into the 12v TV point just inside  the van door ( Remember to plug it in before dragging the awning through the rail).  Plug in to awning and wait.

Then after 8 years of sterling service ( including 6 weeks seasonal stretches) the Kampa went Pop.   Replaced it with a Vango only because we could get a Vango in a size that didn’t cross a window.  No issues with the Vango but the Kampa Gale pump won’t fit it and can’t find  any adaptors.  

If anyone has come across an adaptor, shout up please.

nanamel

I got one of these of fleebay, it has adaptors for the vango kalari

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quattro-Valve-Air-Awning-Tent-4-Way-Adapter-Inflator-Kit-Pump-Leisurewize/392271994058?epid=1575108671&hash=item5b553b9cca:g:bWgAAOSwgs5cpz8d

Edited by Organman
typo

Am reasonable fit for a fat 60 year old but am lazy😜 so Kampa Gale electric pump for me, plugged into 12v inside van to inflate our vango awning.

As has been said remember to plug the pump in before running the awning round the rail else it’s a bit of a struggle and fight to get to the socket.

Used the handpump for our Ventura Trinus 4 x 3.5m awning. Seemed to take an age to inflate and a lot of huffing and puffing. Bought a Kampa Gale off ebay £45. One of the attachments fitted the Ventura. Set it to the required inflation 8psi and after a couple of minutes job done! Brilliant!

4 hours ago, Organman said:

Thank you.  I will compare to our Vango pump fitting.

4 hours ago, TonyandKaren said:

Used the handpump for our Ventura Trinus 4 x 3.5m awning. Seemed to take an age to inflate and a lot of huffing and puffing. Bought a Kampa Gale off ebay £45. One of the attachments fitted the Ventura. Set it to the required inflation 8psi and after a couple of minutes job done! Brilliant!

Thanks. Which attachment fitted the Ventura?  Tried them all on ours, but maybe doing it wrong?  We have previous on doing stuff wrong.

nanamel

We have a Kampa Ace Air Pro All Seasons 400. We use the standard Gale pump on its own 12v lead plugged into the entertainment hatch 12 socket. Up in a trice  and we have NEVER had any problems with leakage/bursts/zips. Pump up to 9 PSI and that's it. We negotiated the pump as a freebie (with other stuff - rear poles, carpet etc) and, yes, its heavy but really substantial.

I use a Hand Pump, I  was offered an Electric one FOC but declined as the model I was offered had some problems, a friend of mine had his awning literally blow up twice despite setting the pump to the correct pressure.

how many times a day are we inflating these awnings?  I am a relatively fit 64 year old and I inflate ours just once at the start of a trip and have never felt the need to electrify the process.

We have the Vango Varkala and I can inflate it in less time than it would take me to get an electric pump out of the boot and plug the thing in.   For me they are in the same category as electric leg winders and screw in pegs.

Ok by all means use them if you can't manage a manual pump but if you are so unfit should you really be dragging about a heavy air awning!!

• Like 1