AJGalaxy2012

Decided to Sell Up

Sorry you're leaving caravanning AJ, but don't leave the forum.  I know you say that you'll feel envious of us, but just think of the wealth of experience you have, it would be a shame not to share it! I haven't caravanned since May this year, (heart attack and bypass surgery), but I'm already looking forward to next year! Good luck with whatever hobbies you take up, but keep posting on here.

Mike.

1 minute ago, GB1309 said:

Oooh memories. As a radio mech (fairy) supporting the radar research flying unit at Pershore in the 1970s I had the unenviable task of removing heavy V/UHF sets from the belly hatch....balanced on my head was the only way. It hurt.

I expect your model is a little less complex. Enjoy.

The model has it's moment, miniature gas turbine, 160,000 rpm on ceramic bearings controlled by a homebrew FADEC add into that 3 axis gyro stabilisation with the associated electronics and it is quite a machine from a technology point of view. I'm sure not as complex as the real thing though. 

1 minute ago, Townie said:

Sorry you're leaving caravanning AJ, but don't leave the forum.  I know you say that you'll feel envious of us, but just think of the wealth of experience you have, it would be a shame not to share it! I haven't caravanned since May this year, (heart attack and bypass surgery), but I'm already looking forward to next year! Good luck with whatever hobbies you take up, but keep posting on here.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I hope your recovery is going well. My dad had a heart attack and came back from it stronger for sure, he lived on for another 18 years fully active.

Not much point in having a caravan and something to tow it with for six days a year. We use ours a lot more than that but I refuse to work out how much each night actually costs, taking all expenses into account, because it'd upset me. Regarding paying mortgage off, when we finished ours, we bought a new caravan, with part of it on finance, the rest of coming from sale of our old one, because the repayments worked out the same. Anyway hang on in here, because not having a caravan never stopped anyone from coming on Caravan Talk! 

Don't do it , try to find a site that has storage facilities , the site we use in Kent takes your caravan out of storage and puts it on a pitch we only have to lower the jockey wheel and it's included in the storage fees , take the hassle out of touring which is probably what your wife doesn't like , Pete 

This is a real shock AJG don't leave us, a sad end to 2019

9 hours ago, dustypete said:

Don't do it , try to find a site that has storage facilities , the site we use in Kent takes your caravan out of storage and puts it on a pitch we only have to lower the jockey wheel and it's included in the storage fees , take the hassle out of touring which is probably what your wife doesn't like , Pete 

Maybe it's a thought. Thank you

9 hours ago, Les Medes said:

This is a real shock AJG don't leave us, a sad end to 2019

Thanks Les, it wont be immediate, I'm going to sell at the start of the season late march / early April time. I'll have to see how I feel when the deed is done.

Michelle and I have had the same discussion.

Been looking this morning at booking February's holiday, it's going to be in a house not costing that much more than using the caravan, and in one case exactly the same, so why bother with the hassle?

If it wasnt for the seasonal pitch I'd sell up too.

14 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

When I was instructing I did teach spins and the all important recovery. I also used to set students up for shock that they never predicted. At a safe height in a take off configuration, left turn during a steep full power climb, pull the nose a little higher and let the speed decay and much to their amazement it would spin the the right. Because theye weren't ready for it they kind of froze, long enough for them to hit the ground on a true take off.  By doing the correct action when it started to enter the spin (incipient) stage the aircraft could be recovered before spin entry. Definitely an interesting maneuver on full power. 

In USA they dont teach spins and recovery because all of the general aviation aircraft are highly unlikely ever to get into a spin. The other thing I used to teach was side slipping in the event of a flap failure etc, the danger with that of course is spinning with the crossed controls etc.

A very distant acquaintance used to fly a Pitt Special and it was fantastic watching him doing the impossible with the Pitt at air shows.  He was the SA champion and went by the name of "Scully Levin". 

23 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I've made the decision over the Christmas break to sell my caravan and hangup the tow ball for the last time. I've just advertised my Range Rover on Autotrader but will wait nearer the start of the season to sell my Senator Wyoming. A kind of sad decision, I will miss it but wifey doesn't seem too interested and by selling the car and the van I can finish paying my mortgage off.

If anybody wants a very nice Senator Wyoming complete with everything - awning, bedroom annex etc get in touch.

Thanks everyone for the interesting discussions that have taken place I will miss it all once the vans gone.

Selling the outfit is one thing, and much respect to you for reaching that decision.

However, the idea of you departing the forum cannot be tolerated, even if it won't be until the Spring.  With that in mind, I urge you to reconsider in order to avoid the issue of an injunction preventing your departure with an order attached requiring your continued contributions!

The Court will adjourn pending your deliberations over the coming months.👨‍⚖

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

A very distant acquaintance used to fly a Pitt Special and it was fantastic watching him doing the impossible with the Pitt at air shows.  He was the SA champion and went by the name of "Scully Levin". 

I had a flight in a Pitts S2 (2 seater version), the pilot challenged me to use full aileron. Oh my, I thought it would be easy and when I went for it, the roll was so violent I hit my head on the fuselage. Colossal G forces too, from memory we did -2.5 to + 5g, I was unconscious momentarily due to the G forces, incredible aircraft with an immense ability to bite and bite very hard. An experience to have and never to be repeated, it's not a pleasant aircraft to fly, youre on your toes all of the time.

2 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Selling the outfit is one thing, and much respect to you for reaching that decision.

However, the idea of you departing the forum cannot be tolerated, even if it won't be until the Spring.  With that in mind, I urge you to reconsider in order to avoid the issue of an injunction preventing your departure with an order attached requiring your continued contributions!

The Court will adjourn pending your deliberations over the coming months.👨‍⚖

Oh LE You made oy larf you did :D

If I could request the courts leniency in this difficult time m'lud.

AJG

On 29/12/2019 at 16:38, kelper said:

AJG You have my sympathy.  I was very sad when we decided to sell our narrowboat, it was a bereavement of sorts.  I no longer visit narrowboat forums as it makes me sad.  Being mortgage free is a wonderful feeling - indebted to no man!

When one door closes another opens.  Will you go down to one car or get a replacement for the RR?

Fortunately you can charter boats😀.

Did the Llangollen canal in October in 6 berth narrow boat £800 for a week-would just cover the slipping costs if we owned it.

Off on the Caledonian Canal in June for 7 days in Leboats Magnifique £3500.

Would just cover marina fees for a season in the local marina for a year for the above-https://www.leboat.co.uk/boats/magnifique

14.5x£200=£2900 on pontoon+storage fee 14.5x£100=£1450 total £3350

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

A fascinating link 👍

But where can you tie-up on the Caledonian?  I hear a lot of it is private land and 'no mooring'.

3 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I had a flight in a Pitts S2 (2 seater version), the pilot challenged me to use full aileron. Oh my, I thought it would be easy and when I went for it, the roll was so violent I hit my head on the fuselage. Colossal G forces too, from memory we did -2.5 to + 5g, I was unconscious momentarily due to the G forces, incredible aircraft with an immense ability to bite and bite very hard. An experience to have and never to be repeated, it's not a pleasant aircraft to fly, youre on your toes all of the time.

Oh LE You made oy larf you did :D

If I could request the courts leniency in this difficult time m'lud.

AJG

Reminds me of my instructor when I was learning to fly my Cirrus 5 B hang glider on the Tinto hill.

”If you hit a downdraft just fly through it-they do nt go down to ground level anyway”.

Took off on a rare stunning summers day only to hit a downdraft all the way to the ground😂😂.

An express elevator to Hxxl!

I reckon what saved me was the air pressure under the wing just before I hit.

7 minutes ago, kelper said:

But where can you tie-up on the Caledonian?  I hear a lot of it is private land and 'no mooring'.

Plenty of places to moor see skippers Guide https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/activities/boating/skippers-guides/.

This will be our 4th trip but this time we are taking 7 days instead of our usual frantic 4.

The only dodgy bit is Loch Ness 26 miles long 2.4 miles wide and only 1 safe overnight berth at Urquart Castle.

Before we bought our first caravan we used to hire a caravan or sometimes a Motorhome every summer for 3 weeks, that could be an option if you don’t want the hassle of ownership anymore.

1 hour ago, ancell said:

A fascinating link 👍

Have a look at one of my clients John Askew, disabled and competed at the highest levels in aerobatic flying. Just watching him get into the aircraft is a very humbling experience.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Before we bought our first caravan we used to hire a caravan or sometimes a Motorhome every summer for 3 weeks, that could be an option if you don’t want the hassle of ownership anymore.

Rented a McRent motorhome for a week in June next year going to the Utter Hebrides via Caledonian McBrayne hopscotch fare.

The Wife got hooked this year on our 1 day trip on Orkney.

St Kilda beckons!

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Thats an idea I'll keep in mind, thank you.

9 minutes ago, ancell said:

Rented a McRent motorhome for a week in June next year going to the Utter Hebrides via Caledonian McBrayne hopscotch fare.

The Wife got hooked this year on our 1 day trip on Orkney.

St Kilda beckons!

Since the introduction of Road Equivalent Tariff (RET) fares, I thought that Hopscotch fares had been withdrawn - or at least offered no saving over normal fare.

On 29/12/2019 at 17:26, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Range Rover is going and I'm considering a BMW I3 electric car with the range extender.  Not a good looking car but seems quite well thought out and practcal. We have a Mitsubishi PHEV which is impressive in all aspects, I really like the electric driving so that will be a bit of a bonus no road tax, cheaper insurance and negligible fuel cost.

These chaps get a good write up. You may not get a BRAND NEW car but from what I've heard, most are.

Only a month commitment. Insurance included. 1000 miles per month. 

www.evezy.co.uk

Might be a decent stopgap before lashing out mortgage money on a new car purchase.

On 29/12/2019 at 17:26, AJGalaxy2012 said:

.... Range Rover is going and I'm considering a BMW I3 electric car with the range extender.....

Our 'in-laws' have an I3-RE, we often go out in it with them '4 up' a very interesting car, the RE bit is very clever and allows virtually unlimited range if you top up the petrol in the RE tank, shame the tank is so small. To be honest I would say that RE is a better technology that hybrid. 

The 'suicide' rear door arrangement works very well,  quite possibly better than a 4 door saloon. 

The 'in-laws' are both retired and very comfortable, the I3 is one of 4 vehicles they own between the two of them, although there is an undoubted low running 'per mile' cost the overall running cost (purchase,depreciation etc) is high for the type of car it is. I think the in-laws are typical of many EV owners in that it is  a second vehicle which they can easily afford and they justify it (not that that is necessary) on the basis of low fuel cost.  I like cars that are different, I like the I3, though could never afford one myself. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Since the introduction of Road Equivalent Tariff (RET) fares, I thought that Hopscotch fares had been withdrawn - or at least offered no saving over normal fare.

I checked the fares in summer but hopscotch still appears to be available here https://www.calmac.co.uk/hopscotch-8-barra-uist-harris-lewis

44 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

These chaps get a good write up. You may not get a BRAND NEW car but from what I've heard, most are.

Only a month commitment. Insurance included. 1000 miles per month. 

www.evezy.co.uk

Might be a decent stopgap before lashing out mortgage money on a new car purchase.

I'll have a look, thank you.

41 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

Our 'in-laws' have an I3-RE, we often go out in it with them '4 up' a very interesting car, the RE bit is very clever and allows virtually unlimited range if you top up the petrol in the RE tank, shame the tank is so small. To be honest I would say that RE is a better technology that hybrid. 

The 'suicide' rear door arrangement works very well,  quite possibly better than a 4 door saloon. 

The 'in-laws' are both retired and very comfortable, the I3 is one of 4 vehicles they own between the two of them, although there is an undoubted low running 'per mile' cost the overall running cost (purchase,depreciation etc) is high for the type of car it is. I think the in-laws are typical of many EV owners in that it is  a second vehicle which they can easily afford and they justify it (not that that is necessary) on the basis of low fuel cost.  I like cars that are different, I like the I3, though could never afford one myself. 

I wouldnt be getting a new one, 2015 with 48,000 on the clock £12k which seems ok.

13 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Thats an idea I'll keep in mind, thank you.

The alternative is using AirBnB sites around the country and the world.  We have never had an issue at any of them where we have stayed.

On 29/12/2019 at 12:12, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Thanks everyone for the interesting discussions that have taken place I will miss it all once the vans gone.

Right. As if I believe that AJ. There are those of us that rely on your good advice and common sense discussions so you won't let your public down by deserting the forum. :rolleyes:

The OH and I stayed in a cottage in Wales over the Christmas period near to the Talyllyn preserved steam railway and our new plan in life is to become part of the volunteer workforce.

Talyllyn Railway

Just out of interest, the cottage was £300 from the 23rd to the 27th. Dec., and the fees for the campsite are £12 PN including EHU during the open season. It was a nice peaceful change from the usual Christmas.

We stayed HERE 

See you around AJ  ;)

5 hours ago, BOAC said:

Right. As if I believe that AJ. There are those of us that rely on your good advice and common sense discussions so you won't let your public down by deserting the forum. :rolleyes:

The OH and I stayed in a cottage in Wales over the Christmas period near to the Talyllyn preserved steam railway and our new plan in life is to become part of the volunteer workforce.

Talyllyn Railway

Just out of interest, the cottage was £300 from the 23rd to the 27th. Dec., and the fees for the campsite are £12 PN including EHU during the open season. It was a nice peaceful change from the usual Christmas.

We stayed HERE 

See you around AJ  ;)

Thanks BOAC, Im sure our paths will cross at sometime, next time I'm down your way surveying a windturbine I will definitely be in touch.

• Like 1