AJGalaxy2012

Decided to Sell Up

I've made the decision over the Christmas break to sell my caravan and hangup the tow ball for the last time. I've just advertised my Range Rover on Autotrader but will wait nearer the start of the season to sell my Senator Wyoming. A kind of sad decision, I will miss it but wifey doesn't seem too interested and by selling the car and the van I can finish paying my mortgage off.

If anybody wants a very nice Senator Wyoming complete with everything - awning, bedroom annex etc get in touch.

Thanks everyone for the interesting discussions that have taken place I will miss it all once the vans gone.

I'm sure we will all be sorry to see you go, but just because your selling up doesn’t mean you have to give up this site as well.   It comes to us all sooner or later. Stay in touch then we will all benefit.

Sorry to hear it AJ. All the best for the future and as said above, do continue to contribute to the forum as an experienced voice is always welcome.

I've enjoyed all your posts even when we disagree.  Thank you.  You can rediscover hotes and B&Bs!

I've read many of your informative posts - please don't go too far away.

:D:D:D

52 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I've made the decision over the Christmas break to sell my caravan and hangup the tow ball for the last time. I've just advertised my Range Rover on Autotrader but will wait nearer the start of the season to sell my Senator Wyoming. A kind of sad decision, I will miss it but wifey doesn't seem too interested and by selling the car and the van I can finish paying my mortgage off.

If anybody wants a very nice Senator Wyoming complete with everything - awning, bedroom annex etc get in touch.

Thanks everyone for the interesting discussions that have taken place I will miss it all once the vans gone.

Sorry to see you go I will miss your tech advice.

Must admit The Wife has been enthusiastic about camping then caravanning for all of our 50+ years together.

If she lost interest or overall fitness we would have to retire from caravanning.

You need a mistress!  :D

47 minutes ago, kelper said:

You need a mistress!  :D

Got any numbers LOL

1 hour ago, kelper said:

I've enjoyed all your posts even when we disagree.  Thank you.  You can rediscover hotes and B&Bs!

It's always good to have reasoned debate and we dont have to agree, different viewpoints at times and yes, I could agree with you but then, we'd both be wrong LOL

52 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

I've read many of your informative posts - please don't go too far away.

:D:D:D

I'm sure theres plenty will be glad to see the back of me LOL, thank you for your kind words.

1 hour ago, micktheshed said:

I'm sure we will all be sorry to see you go, but just because your selling up doesn’t mean you have to give up this site as well.   It comes to us all sooner or later. Stay in touch then we will all benefit.

I'll see how I feel when the vans gone. I'll be here until April time or thereabouts and of course advertise the van on here too.

• Like 1

why do you feel you have to leave the forum.  reading your profile it would seem that you answer the more technical posts, it would be a shame to loose an experienced contributor, unless you have something else to use your spare time on.  Anyway good luck in whatever you choose to do. :)

40 minutes ago, joanie said:

why do you feel you have to leave the forum.  reading your profile it would seem that you answer the more technical posts, it would be a shame to loose an experienced contributor, unless you have something else to use your spare time on.  Anyway good luck in whatever you choose to do. :)

Hi Joanie,

I think I would be envious of all of you lovely people enjoying their caravans.

I really don't want to give up my van but it's pointless it sitting there doing nothing. I only went away in it twice this year, each time for 3 days, each time alone.  So for the same cost as storage and insurance I can go to Corfu for a couple of weeks flying model aircraft in the sunshine.

• Like 2

Good luck, whatever you do John

Well Good luck, with your future!

I dread the time when we have to give up. I know one day it will come, but hopefully later rather than sooner!

• +1 1

AJG You have my sympathy.  I was very sad when we decided to sell our narrowboat, it was a bereavement of sorts.  I no longer visit narrowboat forums as it makes me sad.  Being mortgage free is a wonderful feeling - indebted to no man!

When one door closes another opens.  Will you go down to one car or get a replacement for the RR?

Awe Naw !!  Don't be too hasty auld cyber pal. I gave up but returned only after no even two years. I do understand it is a lot of "dosh " sitting doing hee haw. I downsized and bought a wee cheap belter of a two berth and only managed two trips this year as we get nearer to 2020 but it is there and ready waiting . I wish you well John...

GAS...B)

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

I'm with Kelper - we sold our sailing boat when we moved to Fenland. We had her for eighteen years and I was pretty upset but we've kept caravanning which has sort of replaced it so it'll be a wrench but hopefully there'll be plenty to keep you busy and with any luck you'll be coming back to caravanning in the future.

Looking forward to still seeing you on the forum

• +1 1

It’s a shame but if you aren’t really getting out then that would be frustrating to have a van sat there.

43 minutes ago, kelper said:

AJG You have my sympathy.  I was very sad when we decided to sell our narrowboat, it was a bereavement of sorts.  I no longer visit narrowboat forums as it makes me sad.  Being mortgage free is a wonderful feeling - indebted to no man!

When one door closes another opens.  Will you go down to one car or get a replacement for the RR?

When one door closes another slams in my face LOL

Range Rover is going and I'm considering a BMW I3 electric car with the range extender.  Not a good looking car but seems quite well thought out and practcal. We have a Mitsubishi PHEV which is impressive in all aspects, I really like the electric driving so that will be a bit of a bonus no road tax, cheaper insurance and negligible fuel cost.

I was seriously interested in a Narrowboat and may explore that in the future.

Currently selling loads of stuff to get that mortgage to zero, it is within reach now, just need a bit of effort to get there.

Thank you for your kind words.

J

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Good luck, whatever you do John

Thanks BG, everything downsizing (except my waistline  LOL), a bit to go yet.

Life seems to run like chapters in a book.  I do believe that we have to move on.  I hope you find a new hobby.

26 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Awe Naw !!  Don't be too hasty auld cyber pal. I gave up but returned only after no even two years. I do understand it is a lot of "dosh " sitting doing hee haw. I downsized and bought a wee cheap belter of a two berth and only managed two trips this year as we get nearer to 2020 but it is there and ready waiting . I wish you well John...

GAS...B)

I remember your departure GAS and your return, maybe I'll get a divorce and wifey No. 2 will be a caravan lover!

Take care fella, see you around.

23 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I'm with Kelper - we sold our sailing boat when we moved to Fenland. We had her for eighteen years and I was pretty upset but we've kept caravanning which has sort of replaced it so it'll be a wrench but hopefully there'll be plenty to keep you busy and with any luck you'll be coming back to caravanning in the future.

Looking forward to still seeing you on the forum

Thanks Matelodave, I'm sure SWMBO will keep me busy.

20 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

It’s a shame but if you aren’t really getting out then that would be frustrating to have a van sat there.

Aye, it needs to Frank, someone somewhere will make good use of it, whilst it's not new, it's dry and very well equipped.

3 minutes ago, kelper said:

Life seems to run like chapters in a book.  I do believe that we have to move on.  I hope you find a new hobby.

That is soooooo true. 

I have lots of things to do, building and flying model aircraft, (own design) and cut with my laser. Playing the organ, much more practise needed and the novelty of driving around at almost zero cost.

We may have had our differences but your posts were very informative(most times) LOL.  Take care and don't abandon us as I am sure you still have a wealth of information that you can share with us.

I have always been keen on flying model aircraft but could not bring myself to taking it up as a hobby in case I misjudged, crashed and lost a couple of hundred quid like my cousin.  :D 

He had a brand new model aircraft and no issue taking off and flying it, but it went all wrong when he came in to land on a grass field.  The plane ended up in pieces.  He had done quite a bit of flying previously and knew how to handle a model aircraft.

When I came back from the Falklands  I was cash rich and decided to learn to fly.  It was great but I couldn't afford to keep it up.  But I still love my memories of flying solo and doing a spin recovery!  So, go and do something incredible.  A trial flying lesson is quite cheap and you will actually do the take off yourself.

Edited by kelper

16 minutes ago, kelper said:

When I came back from the Falklands  I was cash rich and decided to learn to fly.  It was great but I couldn't afford to keep it up.  But I still love my memories of flying solo and doing a spin recovery!  So, go and do something incredible.  A trial flying lesson is quite cheap and you will actually do the take off yourself.

I have 1300 hrs flying gliders including a trip up to 28,000' and a Private Pilots license with 1100 hrs on it including a flight across the Atlantic from Gander to Shannon single engined and single crew ! I collected a brand new Cessna 182RG from the Cessna Factory in Pittsburgh and flew it back to the UK, something I would never, ever do again.  I think I'll skip the trial flight LOL. I did spend a couple of years as a flying instructor and parachute dropping. Flying is incredible and the lonliest place you can be when you're flying solo, nobody can get you back down, only yourself.

26 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We may have had our differences but your posts were very informative(most times) LOL.  Take care and don't abandon us as I am sure you still have a wealth of information that you can share with us.

I have always been keen on flying model aircraft but could not bring myself to taking it up as a hobby in case I misjudged, crashed and lost a couple of hundred quid like my cousin.  :D 

He had a brand new model aircraft and no issue taking off and flying it, but it went all wrong when he came in to land on a grass field.  The plane ended up in pieces.  He had done quite a bit of flying previously and knew how to handle a model aircraft.

Hi Durbanite,

It would be a very boring place if we all agreed, nothing better than a reasoned debate on any subject! I have certainly learned a lot on this forum and others, good to hear different viewpoints and certainly food for thought.

If you ever get near to the east midlands, give me a call, I'll give you a model flying lesson no problem, dual controls so youre not in any danger of crashing anything.

567.JPG.c7d6ed72d3d1e4b75a5af898e8818afc.JPG

My Bucanneer

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

I tried parachuting but that did not work out!  On my third jump the wind dropped and I landed flying forwards, misjudged the height and shattered my ankle.  But hospital was almost fun.

when you were FI were you still doing spins with your students?  I heard it was removed from the final exams.

Edited by kelper

23 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I have 1300 hrs flying gliders including a trip up to 28,000' and a Private Pilots license with 1100 hrs on it including a flight across the Atlantic from Gander to Shannon single engined and single crew ! I collected a brand new Cessna 182RG from the Cessna Factory in Pittsburgh and flew it back to the UK, something I would never, ever do again.  I think I'll skip the trial flight LOL. I did spend a couple of years as a flying instructor and parachute dropping. Flying is incredible and the lonliest place you can be when you're flying solo, nobody can get you back down, only yourself.

Hi Durbanite,

It would be a very boring place if we all agreed, nothing better than a reasoned debate on any subject! I have certainly learned a lot on this forum and others, good to hear different viewpoints and certainly food for thought.

If you ever get near to the east midlands, give me a call, I'll give you a model flying lesson no problem, dual controls so youre not in any danger of crashing anything.

567.JPG.c7d6ed72d3d1e4b75a5af898e8818afc.JPG

My Bucanneer

Oooh memories. As a radio mech (fairy) supporting the radar research flying unit at Pershore in the 1970s I had the unenviable task of removing heavy V/UHF sets from the belly hatch....balanced on my head was the only way. It hurt.

I expect your model is a little less complex. Enjoy.

11 minutes ago, kelper said:

I tried parachuting but that did not work out!  On my third jump the wind dropped and I landed flying forwards, misjudged the height and shattered my ankle.  But hospital was almost fun.

when you were FI were you still doing spins with your students?  I heard it was removed from the final exams.

When I was instructing I did teach spins and the all important recovery. I also used to set students up for shock that they never predicted. At a safe height in a take off configuration, left turn during a steep full power climb, pull the nose a little higher and let the speed decay and much to their amazement it would spin the the right. Because theye weren't ready for it they kind of froze, long enough for them to hit the ground on a true take off.  By doing the correct action when it started to enter the spin (incipient) stage the aircraft could be recovered before spin entry. Definitely an interesting maneuver on full power. 

In USA they dont teach spins and recovery because all of the general aviation aircraft are highly unlikely ever to get into a spin. The other thing I used to teach was side slipping in the event of a flap failure etc, the danger with that of course is spinning with the crossed controls etc.