Babstreefern

Manchester Show - January 2020

Just got my CMC magazine which gives me a voucher to get in at the Manchester Caravan show for £7.00 instead of £8.50 going on the first day, 16 January.  I'll go here as I'm only 20 minutes on the motorway or an hour and a half on the bus which really, really goes around the houses to the Trafford Centre, then make my way to Barton Square, and onto Event City.  Better than going to the NEC, as I've been plenty of times

we're thinking of going as its not too far away for a day out. Heard its mainly new caravan dealers though and we're more interested in 'bits and bobs'. May well do the NEC too though.

They do "bits & bobs" at this venue.  Its usually dealers that show the new caravans, not the manufacturers.  So Glossops, Campbells and probably Leisure Sales (although not sure on this one).

Having gone south for the NEC in October and purchasing our new Swift Celebrate Super QEB had better stay away from the Manchester show as may be to tempted to a new awning!

• Like 1

Anyone found any discounted tickets?

Been.  Don't even bother going.  Its absolutely terrible, even for "bits & bobs".  Absolutely nothing.  If you are new to caravanning, and wish to buy a new caravan, don't go to this show.  You may as well visit a caravan dealership near where you live.  Out of all the caravans, there were only two caravans that were priced roughly in the £18,000.  Everything else, you are talking about £23,000+ price range.  The only dealerships there for caravans (didn't bother looking at motorhomes), there was Campbells, Glossops and Lowndhams.  If you are interested in converting the roof of your conservatory, then please, visit.  There are at least two stalls that deal with this issue.  It took me 3 hours by bus there and back.  I spent more time on the buses than I did at the show.  I even had a quick look around the Destinations event next door, which is free to enter if you wish to look at holidays around the world.

• +1 1

I would tend to agree with Babstreefern. We went last year, hoping to pick out a particular layout of van, but there was so little to see it was hopeless. Also, as said, the accessories area was rubbish. I wouldn’t go again even though it’s only 40 minutes away and the parking is free!

Their flyer lists things to see and do, such as towing experience, manoeuvring a motorhome,  meet the experts, a food stage, ego scooter experience, worldwide travel, and how to hitch up a caravan … … great, but no mention of the vans to see or accessories to buy which I would guess the majority of people go for!

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Perhaps Johnaldo and Babstreefern may not be aware that unlike say, Birmingham, this show is for the Dealers, not the manufacturers, so they obviously will bring and display what they wish to sell or perhaps what they sell most of. As stated there are no mainstream caravan manufacturers taking stand space here, just the dealers. So for others interested in attending perhaps to see a broader spectrum of what the industry is making, other shows may perhaps be better suited for that purpose. I visited today and found it  comfortabe ie not too busy, but had done my homework beforehand to see or enquire of those companies who were there. (PS I am not associated in any way with the industry or Clarion, the show managers)

Edited by Fleetline
grammar

If it is for dealers why were

Swift

Adria

Truma

Whale

and a few other manufacturers present on their own stands?

But I would agree with Babs. We went to the show when it was at G-Mex a decade or two ago and that was worthwhile. This? Well put it like this, the M60 (plus the bottom of the M61) was queued from J15 to J10 this morning. We went the other way round and didn't meet any queue until two islands before the turn into the road to the car park then didn't move for 10 minutes. We turned round and parked in the Trafford Centre park and (like many many others) walked across. We were in there almost exactly two hours and when we cam out the traffic queue of the car park was <still> round the islands just as it had been when we arrived!

We did go today and although it wasn't as good as we hoped it was interesting. We were trying to see small light weight 2 berth vans and there were not many. I asked 1 dealer if 2 berths are no longer popular he said they were very popular and then said they only brought popular sizes!!!! but no 2 berths!! Mad..... The stand also had a Swift 'man' there who said it was a dealers show and they were there supporting their dealers!! 

Accessories I only found 1 big stall which was in the Travel exhibition  side and it was a bit poor to say the least.

We  asked another dealer (from lake district) who was helpful and we even sat down and asked for a price on a van we were interested in. I was quite surprised when he quoted £1000 lower (van list inc del £18000) than list and included a motor mover and a Westfield Air awning in the deal (retail about £1500). That was without any asking at all. We are not really ready to buy yet but was interesting as we want a motor mover and an awning would be a good addition to a small 2 berth.  He also quoted on a few bits and bobs and prices were reasonable although I would guess  with a bit of haggling some of the xtras we wanted would be included. Plus they had a van coming next week or maybe that was a bit of 'salesmanship'!!!

If we had been ready I think we could have a good deal with a relatively local dealer.

It wasn't too busy in the afternoon so fairly pleasant to walk round and easy to access the vans without too many people.

Hi Woodentop,

I was going to reply in  more detail but I see that Ched has already covered the dealer only aspect.

Page 14 of the show guide shows that Swift are a Partner & Supporter of the show, not just an exhibitor and the guide lists no other mainstream manufacturer, with Swift themselves saying in their information panel in the guide that they are showing their lodge and holiday home ranges and there is just one line at the bottom that says they will show a selection of their vans and motorhomes. As regards Truma (which was only their mover unit) and Whale, they are not a mainstream manufacturer, are they? So with the exception of Adria then, where were Bailey, Coachman, Elddis & Lunar therefore if it was a show for caravan manufacturers?

Edited by Fleetline
grammar

Manchester has only ever dealt in dealerships.  There are other dealers in the NW, but they weren't here.  Leisure Sales is one, but you visit them and others as well, and they usually give you the same deal as if they were at the show.  NEC is manufacturers only (as far as I can remember anyway).

I believe the NEC show is supported by the manufacturers but as they do not sell direct to the public they use dealerships to support them on the stands. Last time I went to the NEC Lunar factory staff were there but so were sales staff from Campbells and another Lunar dealer. I think other manufacturers will be the same as if you intend buying at the show you need to negotiate with a dealer not the manufacturer.

Just called in Campbells and asked what current position is with Lunar automotive as there is no sign of any activity at the premises they are supposed to be moving to and the old Lunar website now seems to have disappeared, and one of the staff said that there were 2020 model Lunar vans at the Manchester show, and that Campbells sales team there had sold a few new models.

Can anyone who has been to the show confirm the presence of 2020 Lunar vans?

Yes, I can confirm that there are 2020 Lunar Automotive vans on the Campbells stand, but we only looked inside the CK Clubman to see what changes there are from our 2019 van, We spoke to Vicky their sales manager who was on their stand about them and obtained the 2020 brochure.

Edited by Fleetline
grammar

51 minutes ago, Fleetline said:

Yes, I can confirm that there are 2020 Lunar Automotive vans on the Campbells stand, but we only looked inside the CK Clubman to see what changes there are from our 2019 van, We spoke to Vicky their sales manager who was on their stand about them and obtained the 2020 brochure.

What did you think, compared to your 2019 model?

Hi

Different trim across the high level cupboards, a darker tone to the work surface, both of the wardrobe doors split into two sections and the table storage area now has more drawers below the work top, with the table storage moved into the nearside wardrobe with the Alde tank, which reduces its usability. Nothing else spotted inside apart from a change to the fabrics. It did not appeal to SWMBO and the Clubman graphics are now of the ultra modern all lower case, which also did not please her. After reviewing the brochure and price list while having a coffee (thanks to Spinney's !) we saw items now on the extra's list that we had fitted as standard (Solar Panel and we think ATC) We were unable to ascertain if the Alko locks and the alarm were still standard fit however. But broadly all was more or less the same - pricing excepted.

Thanks for the info.

I will pop into Campbells when they are back from the show and see if they have brought any brochures back with them.

Edited by hp100425ev

Good at least to see Lunar back and making a presence; very worried about them as although they have been taken over and are moving factory, they have missed the best bit of the selling season. Hope the new buyers can afford it!

Hi Jezerb

Lunar (A) are moving into the old Dick Kerr building on Strand Road, Preston, where trams were built for many towns in the UK and they were famous for one of the very first Ladies Football teams - Dick Kerr Ladies.

The Building was later to become English Electric where many diesel locomotives for both Commonwealth and British Railways were built, with the world leading prototype Deltic being constructed there.

A photograph of the building features strongly in the 2020 brochure. I just  hope that that its historical background bodes well for the future. 

Edited by Fleetline
spacing
  • Like 1

Thank you; lovely to hear the history and I agree, let's hope that the tradition of engineering on the new site bodes for a very successful return. Often looked at Lunars and the Alaria as they seem pretty caravans and can be light and well equipped compared to competitors, but we have never had one as there was always a 'but'!

On 19/01/2020 at 10:30, Fleetline said:

Hi Jezerb

Lunar (A) are moving into the old Dick Kerr building on Strand Road, Preston, where trams were built for many towns in the UK and they were famous for one of the very first Ladies Football teams - Dick Kerr Ladies.

The Building was later to become English Electric where many diesel locomotives for both Commonwealth and British Railways were built, with the world leading prototype Deltic being constructed there.

A photograph of the building features strongly in the 2020 brochure. I just  hope that that its historical background bodes well for the future. 

Some photoshop expertise in that factory photo - the big Lunar Automotive sign in there doesn’t exist!

There are still ‘to let’ signs all over the building.

Yes,

and I think that is what is worrying customers who have bought 2020 models

(there are other posts about Lunar (A) delivery times, either on here, I think, or on the PC forum)

they might well be 2021 models before they get them maybe ?

Hi All,

Just an update to my own post of 17th January.

I was in my dealers (Campbells) yesterday and asked about the new Lunar vans.

However I have learned that the Lunar (A) vans on the stand at Manchester are not

necessarily what 2020 vans will be. (But have been used for the pictures in the 2020 brochure)

It appears that the old Lunar, built a number of vans at the end of their 2019 run with

what could be described as, with dealer feedback modifications for approval/consideration

- so whoops, I was not strictly accurate. Unless and until Lunar (A) start manufacture,

the pictures in the 2020 brochure therefore may/may not be exactly the same.

• Like 2