Front Locker Water Accumulation

I am new to this forum but I’d like to ask if anyone else has the same issue I am having. I have a 2017 Compass Capiro 530. I have noticed the front locker door gathers water between the two panels. So much so that the door will not stay up on the gas struts due to the weight of the water within. I have to prop the door up with a brush handle until all the water has drained out at the corners of the door (where the hinges are). Not only is this concerning but must surely add to the nose weight. Is this a design fault or do I have a faulty door. I would be interested to know if anyone else has this problem. The van has its servicing in Feb with the dealer I bought it from, so I will be asking the same question then.

Probably a simple case that the hinges weren’t sealed or a couple of drain holes have been missed during manufacture. As you’re  under warranty let the dealer take care of it. 

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

. As you’re  under warranty let the dealer take care of it. 

Sound advice.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Contact the dealer as soon as possible and do it in writing stating you are willing to wait until the caravan has its first service.  Moral is never trust a dealer most of whom will try and squirm out of their obligations using the flimsiest of excuses.

Where you are draining the water out could be where it is getting in. Whilst waiting for the dealer to sort it you could see if you could cover/plug the holes but without doing any damage. If full of water there is a possibility it could freeze and cause more damage to the door so as already suggested, I would contact the dealer soon and not wait until February.

I would check your warranty to see what dates are used for the various parts which can range from 1 to 10 years. There are also time ranges in which to have the annual services, some might allow plus/minus a few weeks of the anniversary of the original purchase date but some years could be less and it is easy to get caught out and lose the warranty.

There should not be water between the panels so it is faulty. You are entitled to a repair under the terms of the Consumer Protection Act, whatever they say about the warranty. If you want it repaired by the dealer make it clear to the dealer you will not be fobbed off although as Paul says if the water can be drained out there is a fair chance it gets in there. It depends where the dealer is, but if you can reseal the holes it might be cheaper than towing to the dealer.

You may be covered by warranty, you certainly seem to have a case under CRA.

If these fail, or are going to be too stressful, (a contested CRA claim can be very stressful) a DIY fix should be fairly easy, to seal the holes where the water comes in (most likely where you let it out), and drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom corners.

Worth a look at a similar van in a dealers to see how it normally is.

Guys, thank you all very much for the sound advice, in particular the issue regarding potential to freeze and cause further damage.  I have had the van serviced in accordance with manufacturers timescales so expect no issues regarding warranty. I shall be contacting my dealer first thing in the morning and follow up with an email in order to address this issue. To be fair, my dealer has been first class with all warranty repairs to date. Unfortunately my dealer is 120 miles away so in the meantime I’ll investigate the area where I drain the water out and apply a temporary fix in order to prevent water ingress and possible freezing between now and next service in February.  Once again everyone, many thanks and Happy New Year.

• 3 weeks later...

No surprise, the dealer has come back saying it’s not covered under the warranty. They ordered a new door but that was declined. I’ve told them they need to look at it before ordering a new door as I believe this is a simple fix. They have said though that non of their other caravans collect water in the front locker door. Be interesting what they say next month when it goes in for servicing and they have the opportunity to investigate

The dealer should be told that the door is faulty and under the terms of The Consumer Protection Act they are responsible for putting it right. If this is not done then you will be raising a small claims action for the costs you incur.