Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Manual 4WD 2016

We were just wondering if any one has had gearbox failure with the above Hyundai Tucson model?

Luckily the wife's car is still under warranty till 2021 and currently at the dealership being repaired.

Apparently the service guy said the part that is broken is one of the gear levers?

Thank's in advance.

Signature.

I know there was a recall on the twin clutch autos, software problems. Never heard of any common manual gearbox fault though. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo
16 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I know there was a recall on the twin clutch autos, software problems. Never heard of any common manual gearbox fault though. 

Yes it is an odd one and doesn't exactly fill us with confidence at the moment.

It's a real dilemma because we now have doubts whether to buy it outright as we'd planned  do as it tows our Swift Signature very well.

Maybe it's a one off, we'll have to see what the dealership says about it now.

Thanks for your reply TD.

I'd be interested in reports on the auto version as I'm giving it serious consideration for my next change of tow car.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Well I'll certainly report back when it's all resolved.

The other thing we're not happy with is the Hyundai recovery service that's included in the warranty that we were told Hyundai customer services we'd have to use for them to order a courtesy car, but the problem was the AA couldn't come out and deal with car that was stuck on a junction for 6hours which I said was unacceptable. The wife could've been stranded in lane 3 M25 but it wouldn't of made any difference. They even told us that Thrifty car hire had ran out of hire cars! 

Luckily because as we tow a caravan we have additional recovery in Green Flag who as usual were excellent even sending a fast deployment van to see it it was something they could sort out on the roadside. The guy helped me push the car to the kerbside but couldn't tow the car being it being a 4WD model.

After a bitter complaint to Hyundai customer services a very helpful lady there organised a replacement Tucson for us to use which was delivered yesterday without anymore fuss.

The problem I have with Hyundai Tunbridge Wells is there negative reporting; the car was dropped off 6pm 23rd Dec. I called them next day to be told the part in question will have to be reported to Hyundai and may not be covered by the warranty. I asked them who pays for it if the warranty request is denied and was told it would be us. Nice eh.

Anyway since speaking with the helpful customer services lady she reported that it has been sent to warranty and all will be good. Hopefully.

We now have a 19 plate petrol Tucson with a black filler cap(why do they do this) I've pointed this out to my wife.

Thank's all for reading.

24 minutes ago, Signature said:

The problem I have with Hyundai Tunbridge Wells is there negative reporting; the car was dropped off 6pm 23rd Dec. I called them next day to be told the part in question will have to be reported to Hyundai and may not be covered by the warranty. I asked them who pays for it if the warranty request is denied and was told it would be us. Nice eh.

This is absolutely standard and a legal requirement- if the part has broken due to incorrect use they wouldn’t be covered by Hyundai and the work would be chargeable to you - you have to be made aware before work starts otherwise you could rightly claim not to pay it.

34 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

How can a part in a gearbox (lever) be subjected to incorrect use?

Who says it is?

The dealership is advising that should there be an issue to do with incorrect use the customer is liable. If there isn’t and it’s a design/ manufacture/ install issue they won’t be.

No one is saying it IS down to incorrect use!  

This is pretty standard for any vehicle warranty claims. The dealership has to notify, and then get permission from, the manufacturer BEFORE carrying out any repair. 

The reason  being that “fair wear and tear” is NOT covered under any warranty (to cover things like an incompetent driver slipping the clutch a lot and then trying to get it replaced under warranty) 

By adopting the “We need to authorise it first” across the board the manufacturers are protecting themselves. By “One of the gear levers” I would imagine they mean one of the gear selector forks, and they cannot be used “incorrectly” Sounds like a unique failure due to a manufacturing issue so will be covered without any problem.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

43 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

No one is saying it IS down to incorrect use!  

This is pretty standard for any vehicle warranty claims. The dealership has to notify, and then get permission from, the manufacturer BEFORE carrying out any repair. 

The reason  being that “fair wear and tear” is NOT covered under any warranty (to cover things like an incompetent driver slipping the clutch a lot and then trying to get it replaced under warranty) 

By adopting the “We need to authorise it first” across the board the manufacturers are protecting themselves. By “One of the gear levers” I would imagine they mean one of the gear selector forks, and they cannot be used “incorrectly” Sounds like a unique failure due to a manufacturing issue so will be covered without any problem.

Andy

Hyundai dealers, like many brands, don't need Hyundai authorisation on warranty work for certain faults - it's the more unusual faults that need prior authorisation.

Of course some dealers, from all brands, hide behind the "we must get authorisation first" even when they don't need to - it comes down to some dealers being better at customer service than others.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

35 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I’d expect a potential gearbox replacement would be an exception to ‘certain faults’

Of course it is - I was trying to counter the suggestion that ALL warranty work HAS to be approved by the manufacturer.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Posted (edited)

Well, just a quick recap: We had the Tucson delivered to Hyundai Tunbridge Wells on 23rd Dec I rang them the next day to ask if they have taken a look yet and told what part (gear lever broken) they believe had failed.

Anyway fast forward to 2nd Jan and we get phone calls both mobile and landline from the service department strangely they don't leave voice mail? We call them to be told that car is ready for collection. Great!

Proceed to dearership and notice car but unusual for Hyundai it hasn't been washed down even though their cleaning guy is in the background busy getting wet.

After a few minutes we're informed that the part a brake cable linkage had snapped and was covered by the warranty. Great again!

Then we inspect car alongside the service chap, whilst I'm making sure the towing hoop thingy has been placed back in the boot and everything else when wife suddenly says "the bonnet is scratched!"  Straight away the service guy goes into defensive mode, I then ask politely for the car to be washed down as so we can inspect everything.

After a free coffee car is ready again and the scratches on an otherwise immaculate bonnet are shown clearly which if I had to guess I'd say some one has sat on it with something sharp in their back pocket. The damage area is right opposite the wheel arch (a handy place to plant the feet)

At this point we are told to place a complaint to the service guy's manager and take it from there.

Hyundai then email later that day asking for copy of our Green flag call out docket. We make it clear that the Green flag mechanic was with us at all times and not to blame plus reiterated because the damage was so easily noticeable through the dirt it proves that it was fresh and recently done.

Luckily for us we bumped into the salesman we've previously dealt with before as we were about to leave and he said it looks recent and said not to worry we will have to get the bonnet painted. He knows we're not trying to pull a fast one and commented its in his interest too as he wants this car back later this year as it's so nice.

We'll now have to wait for them to decide but are prepared to fight it out if necessary so we'll see..

It's either one thing or the other!

Edited by Signature
Spelling

i wish you luck and patience Sir.

Thank's Rob.

All I wanted was the car repaired, clean and ready to drive away without any fuss.

Good thing is atleast the interior and centre console all un molested.