Sign in to follow this  
Dobloseven

Your worst car

41 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The absence of a fuse box was another downside! My father had a dashboard fire in his, fortunately the rest of the car did not catch.

That reminds me of when I had an Imp engine fire in 1970 (caused by a loose petrol pump pipe spewing fuel all over the HT leads). The car was eveloped in flames for a few seconds.  By sheer fluke a man was walking by carrying a fire extinguisher on his way to get it serviced & it had just enough contents left & managed to put the fire out!!!  One of my 9 lives definitely  used up!

With no fuse box (didn't need one in those days?) a lot of the wiring burnt off all the insulation & became a solid mess. Undounted I spent 2 hours peeling the wires apart & wrapping them in insulating tape. To my absolute amazement it stated 1st time & got me the 5 miles home. I only ever replaced the HT leads, & then just for the look of it LOL. It lasted quite a few years after that.

That would have been a total disaster in a modern car.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

That reminds me of when I had an Imp engine fire in 1970 (caused by a loose petrol pump pipe spewing fuel all over the HT leads). The car was eveloped in flames for a few seconds.  By sheer fluke a man was walking by carrying a fire extinguisher on his way to get it serviced & it had just enough contents left & managed to put the fire out!!!  One of my 9 lives definitely  used up!

With no fuse box (didn't need one in those days?) a lot of the wiring burnt off all the insulation & became a solid mess. Undounted I spent 2 hours peeling the wires apart & wrapping them in insulating tape. To my absolute amazement it stated 1st time & got me the 5 miles home. I only ever replaced the HT leads, & then just for the look of it LOL. It lasted quite a few years after that.

That would have been a total disaster in a modern car.

Funnily enough my Hillman imp died in a similar way!

22 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Funnily enough my Hillman imp died in a similar way!

Perhaps there should be a recall of Imps! 

• Haha 1

I don't think the idea of the fuel tank in the front was a very good idea in the event of an accident ?

Saw a couple of speed boats fitted with the Coventry climax engine as it was a good power to weight .

Dave

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

My (un-tweaked bog standard) 2.2 litre diesel churns out around 180,

But it certainly doesn’t SOUND anything like as good as a V8 petrol does !! 

Andy

thats gives you about 110 bhp/ton compared to around 280bhp/ton in the Morgan.

Wouldn't fancy towing the caravan with the Morgan though.

And neither would I! 

I was simply trying to point out that an un-tweaked modern 4 cylinder 2.2 litre Diesel engine produces nearly as much power as a tweaked 1970’s 3.6 litre V8, and is vastly more fuel efficient.

But it STILL doesn’t sound as nice as V8 though!

Andy

33 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

And neither would I! 

I was simply trying to point out that an un-tweaked modern 4 cylinder 2.2 litre Diesel engine produces nearly as much power as a tweaked 1970’s 3.6 litre V8, 

Always the case when comparing forced induction with normally aspirated.

You could get 3.0 petrols in the 70's with 300PS and today modern 4.0V8 turbos with over 700PS.

Forced induction makes the difference as anyone who has driven a normally aspirated diesel well knows. I ran a 1995 E300D for a few months. 3.0D, normally aspirated. 136PS and 155lbft.   

43 minutes ago, logiclee said:

You could get 3.0 petrols in the 70's with 300PS and today modern 4.0V8 turbos with over 700PS.

Forced induction makes the difference as anyone who has driven a normally aspirated diesel well knows. I ran a 1995 E300D for a few months. 3.0D, normally aspirated. 136PS and 155lbft.   

Mercedes used to do a 200D W124 and S124 on the continent, 74bhp and 93lb/ft of torque! The 200TD wasn’t turbo, the T simply meant estate!

25 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Mercedes used to do a 200D W124 and S124 on the continent, 74bhp and 93lb/ft of torque! The 200TD wasn’t turbo, the T simply meant estate!

I don’t think the term “gutless” comes anywhere near describing that. 

I reckon my motor mover has more grunt! 

Andy

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I don't think the idea of the fuel tank in the front was a very good idea in the event of an accident ?

Dave

Agree and I think all VW Beetles had the fuel tank in front.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

It isn't many years ago that 100bhp/litre was the absolute limit for a normally aspirated petrol engine for road use, anything higher was strictly for the race track, and for diesels the limit was more like 60bhp/litre.

Then came turbo diesels in cars and they caught up with petrol. Now we have turbo or supercharged petrol engines and the limit is only what will hold together!

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

Gutless ? Our bus engines that were natural used to be 10.5 lt and produced about a 100 bhp .

Dave

20 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Even so it was quite common & frequently protected, to some extent, by the spare wheal. But then neither were the rear-tanked (much more common) such as the Vauxhall Viva unless a tow bar was fitted. The latter proved it's worth many times during the 25 years that I owned it! Never buy a dark green car I was told (but not until after I'd bought it LOL), people just don't see you coming  (or going, or stationary, or with your lights on, or parked in broad daylight, or............. you get the idea I'm sure).

Then I stupidly went & bought a dark green Astra, but managed 5 years, & collected 2 minor bumps, before some moron rear-ended me totaling it (& putting me & MOH in hospital!). I was actually stationary  this time, at a zebra crossing, in broad daylight, with my brake lights on!  (long-time habit). How the people crossing escaped injury I don't know.

Strangely enough I don't buy green cars anymore; perhaps it's just a superstition?.

Edited by micktheshed
bad grammer

Worst vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD. What a dog. So many faults at 84K it was costing me a lot in repairing the thing. The only good thing were the electrically heated seats that kept me warm whilst waiting for the tow truck. The engine cut out totally at one point but there was a handy layby near. :angry:  If it had have had happened on the motorway while towing I might not be here to type this. The design of the Jeep is complicated with 5 cylinders and don't mention changing the black encrusted glow plugs. The list could go on but I have not enough hours to spare.

Their website says :-

Enjoy 5 Years Warranty, 3 Years Servicing & 5 Years Roadside Assistance.

Yeah ! Right. If their pile of crepe is anything like mine was the above should read 5 years Roadside and breakdown Assistance.

Oh ! I did ENJOY my last rant of the year.:D

Best reliable car is my Santa Fe. Nough said. :Thankyou: Hyundai.

7 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Gutless ? Our bus engines that were natural used to be 10.5 lt and produced about a 100 bhp .

Dave

The wonders of gearing!

16 hours ago, BOAC said:

Worst vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD. What a dog. So many faults at 84K it was costing me a lot in repairing the thing. The only good thing were the electrically heated seats that kept me warm whilst waiting for the tow truck. The engine cut out totally at one point but there was a handy layby near. :angry:  If it had have had happened on the motorway while towing I might not be here to type this. The design of the Jeep is complicated with 5 cylinders and don't mention changing the black encrusted glow plugs. The list could go on but I have not enough hours to spare.

Their website says :-

Enjoy 5 Years Warranty, 3 Years Servicing & 5 Years Roadside Assistance.

Yeah ! Right. If their pile of crepe is anything like mine was the above should read 5 years Roadside and breakdown Assistance.

Oh ! I did ENJOY my last rant of the year.:D

Best reliable car is my Santa Fe. Nough said. :Thankyou: Hyundai.

What year was the Jeep as the 2.7l was a bit of a dog.  We purchased our first 2005 Jeep GC CRD 3.0L and we found it extremely reliable.  We now have a 2012 CRD 3.0l and also find it very comfortable, economical for its size and reliable.  It also has air suspension which makes a big difference to towing.  Both were bought second hand with full service history.

It was a Jeep Grand Cherokee WG 2003 2.7 CRD.

Poorly designed in my opinion. For instance, when a rear wheel bearing failed the procedure was to remove the rear half  shaft which when extracted had an inner bearing and the wheel bearing still on it. I was told that they had to be removed by breaking them both off and renewed. The Jeep agents told me that. Surely they could have just heated them and drift them off. However, that's what they did. 

On the Santa Fe the procedure is basically to remove the castellated nut - remove brake drum - drift off the bearing and replace. Cheaper - easier all round.

Our Jeep agents are now no more which perhaps reflects Jeep owners opinion of Jeeps. 

I bought the Santa Fe because any car manufacturer that has a 5 year warranty on a vehicle must have confidence in the reliability of the vehicle and so far that surmisation has been proved right.

1 hour ago, BOAC said:

It was a Jeep Grand Cherokee WG 2003 2.7 CRD.

Poorly designed in my opinion.

Agreed as that model of Jeep nearly bankrupted the company it had so many issues.  The Jeep Wagoneer previous to that Grand Cherokee was a very strong and rugged vehicle.  The newer GC CRD 3.0 WK was a good vehicle and had a Merc engine and platform.

Somewhere on here I read of somebody with a green car, and how dangerous it was.

I had a Dark green Marina 1.8. SEW 617 K.

i nearly got hit on country lanes by people not seeing me as it blended into the hedges, that I drove everywhere with the head lamps on.

Forerunner of daylight running lights I suppose!

Sold that car for a lot more than I paid for it!

On the guts v gutless front, how times change.

Bit of a tongue in cheek comment really but back in the early 70's I had a 1275cc Cooper S and the engine looked like the one in the first pic at circa 75bhp, seemed a nippy motor then.

My wife has one of the current 2 litre Cooper S's which is like the one in the second pic, heavier car I know but knocks out circa 175bhp.

20200102_092821.thumb.png.640eaf6cbd4c290851131e25dceddb36.png

20200102_100627.png.bf0ae940eec7bb2dd6536a4cdfbbdf81.png

• Like 1

We have a 2019 Mini Cooper. It has the 1.5, 3 cylinder turbo motor. 135 bhp. It goes really well.

The Cooper S has 4 cyl turbo 2.0, just be really quick!  The John Cooper works even more!

I have had 3 of the old Minis in the past, they were fun but very firm suspension.

Simple to maintain and fix, but prone to the rustbug!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Griff said:

On the guts v gutless front, how times change.

Bit of a tongue in cheek comment really but back in the early 70's I had a 1275cc Cooper S and the engine looked like the one in the first pic at circa 75bhp, seemed a nippy motor then.

My wife has one of the current 2 litre Cooper S's which is like the one in the second pic, heavier car I know but knocks out circa 175bhp.

Think yourself lucky you had the Cooper S. My standard 1275GT only had 57bhp !

I certainly remember Morris and Austin Minis , 1100s, 1800's etc. I remember Morris Marina's but not Austin ones ? Am I right or wrong my Caravan friends !

Posted (edited)

The old BMC ‘A” series engine would take a reasonable amount of tuning, but you could only take it so far before it would self destruct (the three main bearing crank was a bit “suspect” once the output was raised any appreciable amount)  It was basically the same 850cc engine as started off in the Morris Minor

There was only so much you could skim the head before the valves and  piston crowns became VERY close and (too) intimate friends! (Been there, tried it, wrecked an engine!) 

It also  lagged waaaay behind the (Coventry Climax) engine in the Imp, that could be tuned to give utterly ludicrous power outputs AND they didn’t self destruct so often as the A series (unless you went REALLY mad that is!)

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

There was only Morris Marina Cars, however, in the van version you could order either Austin or Morris models. Not sure what the difference was though.

Edited by CPDavis