Sign in to follow this  
Scaramanga

Tyrepal internal sensor battery replacement??

Well my U3 is approaching 5 years old and looking to fit 4 new tyres to my Cartagena in the next couple of months. However I’m not sure what to do about the internal sensors. Can the batteries be replaced on them or do I need new sensors(£30 a corner!)? As all I can read about the sensors is that the batteries in them last the life of the tyres, which I assume is 5 years?

Edited by Scaramanga

Contact Tyrepal, I've found them very responsive.

Edited by kelper
spolling!

But OP has sensors inside the tyres....................

3 minutes ago, gmc15 said:

Easy to replace batteries, see here:-

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/faqs/

Thanks I had looked there but they only mention for the external ones and not the internal type

If you are having the tyres changed it’s well worth doing the sensor batteries at the same time as they must have a finite life.

BUT check on the cost first as I have heard it’s actually cheaper to buy the External tyrepal sensors (about £30 each) than to get the internal sensor batteries  replaced, not sure they ARE replaceable which means you have to buy the whole internal unit (Anecdotal only, no personal experience) 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Well for all those who have the same internal sensors fitted to their Bailey, I have just received a quick response via email from Tyrepal. 

The internal sensors are sealed so need replacing. They are £30 each plus £4.95 postage from Tyrepal. You can get them slightly cheaper through the Caravan Club and using their discount(10% off).

looks like new sensors it is

4 minutes ago, Scaramanga said:

The internal sensors are sealed so need replacing. 

Nah-nah, told you so !!!!

So the internal and external sensors are the same price eh? 

Well if it was me I would buy a set of external ones, at least you can replace the batteries in them easily and for a lot less than 30 quid a pop!! The Tyrepal head unit will recognise both.

Andy

I'd certainly keep the old ones as spares.  If a new one were to fail, any tyre shop could fit a spare for a few quid.  My last puncture repair was ten quid.

Edited by kelper

What did Tyrepal advise re the battery life of the fitted sensors?  

Just got rid of my first car with TPMS at 6 years old (bar a few weeks).  I've not replaced the batteries / sensors in all that time (and had it from 13 months old).  Doubt the car dealer did before selling it on (tho' he did need to fit two new tyres).

We have both.  The internal on the van and external on the car.  The vans were advertised as having a minimum life of 5 years.  So far they have done 4.5 years.  The car ones have probably had 2 -3 batteries each so the cost of the external sensors is almost certainly higher over 5 years. 

3 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

We have both.  The internal on the van and external on the car.  The vans were advertised as having a minimum life of 5 years.  So far they have done 4.5 years.  The car ones have probably had 2 -3 batteries each so the cost of the external sensors is almost certainly higher over 5 years. 

My car sensors batteries seem to last about 2.5 - 3 years! (I have had them about 6 years and the sensors  have never failed, just the batteries have gone flat) I use my car 2 or 3 times a day on average so the sensors are not sat “dormant” for long periods of time. 

I buy Panasonic batteries off eBay for a few quid a packet. 3 small batteries for about £5 the set compared to an entire internal sensor at £30

I appreciate I only got a GCSE in maths but £5 versus £30 does seem somewhat better value to me. 

Andy

My sums included the cost of the external sensor plus batteries. You doing well to get that long I’ve never managed much above 18 months using tyre pal’s own sensors.  

I went through this process with our last Barcelona in that I replaced the tyres at just under four years old (because of cracking on the sidewalls) and, since the, internal sensors have a battery life of about 5 years, thought it would be sensible to replace all the sensors at the same time as the tyres. (As stated above, they are sealed and there are no batteries to replace). It turned out that I then sold the van about six months later - so I needn't have bothered!

The new Knaus didn't have TPMS - so I fitted the external sensors with the replaceable batteries.  I was a bit concerned that with the van being longer than the Barcelona - and the wheels further back due to the longer A-frame, that they might not work.  They did - and there was no need for the additional sender unit that Tyrepal suggest may be required.

I would therefore be inclined to go for the external sensors with the ability to change the batteries cheaply and easily when required since they seem to do the job just as well as the internal ones.

• I agree completely 1

Just watch out for the valve stems as the gyroscopic action makes mine rub on the wheel . A bit of tape on the stem prevents damage but worth a look and when having valves changed go for the shortest possible stem.

Edited by Jiffy176

33 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Just watch out for the valve stems as the gyroscopic action makes mine rub on the wheel . A bit of tape on the stem prevents damage but worth a look and when having valves changed go for the shortest possible stem.

I also went for short "high pressure" stems that are a rubber sealing bonded onto a through metal [brass?] stem.

I was motivated by up till changing being dogged with rubber stem failures on a caravan with 65 psi cold setting and may be of relevance, Tyrepal cap sensors.  These were  from three different batches, so not a single duff batch and were  quite long. 

Also motivating me was the last tyre dealer {Micheldever] saying at best  standard clip in rubber valve stems are for use up to 65 psi cold, whereas the high pressure ones he supplied me were rated at 80 psi or he could get me 100 psi. He recommended I changed and after my issues I was happy to pay a small surcharge for the 80 psi ones in stock. 

• I agree completely 1

On 20/12/2019 at 15:47, Scaramanga said:

Well for all those who have the same internal sensors fitted to their Bailey, I have just received a quick response via email from Tyrepal. 

The internal sensors are sealed so need replacing. They are £30 each plus £4.95 postage from Tyrepal. You can get them slightly cheaper through the Caravan Club and using their discount(10% off).

looks like new sensors it is

The battery life of car TPMS sensors is said to be 5 years - but it does depend on usage - I have a separate set of winter wheels/tyres for the car, which have their own sensors, but as neither set is on for a full year I'd expect my sensors to last much more than 5 years.

Caravan TPMS sensors are only in use, ie moving, for a few days/year so I suggest waiting to see just how long they last rather than replacing automatically at 5 years old.

I guess it's probably easier to change them when you change the tyres - usually around 5-6 years for a caravan rather than changing tyres and then having them off again to replace the sensors a year or so later

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

I guess it's probably easier to change them when you change the tyres - usually around 5-6 years for a caravan rather than changing tyres and then having them off again to replace the sensors a year or so later

With external ones it takes less than five minutes as and when the battery goes flat.

AND it’s a simply DIY job, with internal ones you need to get the work done at a tyre depot, and they know how to charge !!

Andy

Yes you CAN do it yourself, but very few have the knowledge or the necessary equipment to take a tyre off to change an internal sensor.