Flat_at

Direct line insurance

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Something wrong with your maths!! 

10 x £30.06 is £300.60 

The annual premium is £328.16

“Must try harder” springs to mind? 

Andy

Yes so CHEAPER on monthly, but you said "Just done a quick quote for car on DL website. 10% more expensive on monthlies! "

25 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Something wrong with your maths!! 

10 x £30.06 is £300.60 

The annual premium is £328.16

“Must try harder” springs to mind? 

Andy

There is the first payment, by card, then 10 payments plus interest at 10%! My quote would be £25 more were I to pay monhly. :o

Edited by Flat_at
Doh, again

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Yes so CHEAPER on monthly, but you said "Just done a quick quote for car on DL website. 10% more expensive on monthlies! "

Get a grip man.

No-one is going to offer it CHEAPER on monthlies because of the extra work involved 

Just to prove you wrong see the below quotes for monthly premium, it IS more than paying annually. 

1C28FD3B-353B-473C-9690-2092530E1141.png

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Looks like you only pay 10 months.

+ The initial payment + interest at 10%

Edited by Flat_at
I thought this post had disapeared

22 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Most insurers won't quote more than a month in advance - I have seen somewhere that 21 days before renewal is the optimum time.

I worked in the insurance Industry as a Director for 30+ years. the closer you get to renewal then the premium grows. Always Talk to any insurer as they will not want to lose your business, sometimes even if it costs them as if they are a plc then the number of clients is a measure of the value of the share price.  

Do not rely on money supermarket etc as the computer algorithms are poor and often you will get quoted incorrectly. A friend  of mine is the commercial Director there.

11 minutes ago, colin h said:

I worked in the insurance Industry as a Director for 30+ years. the closer you get to renewal then the premium grows. Always Talk to any insurer as they will not want to lose your business, sometimes even if it costs them as if they are a plc then the number of clients is a measure of the value of the share price.  

Do not rely on money supermarket etc as the computer algorithms are poor and often you will get quoted incorrectly. A friend  of mine is the commercial Director there.

Money Saving Expert, aka Martin Lewis, analysed 18 million quotes and concluded that three weeks before renewal was optimum https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/07/revealed-the-best-day-to-buy-car-insurance-to-slash-costs-by-100s/  I'm not sure what happens in the time between 30 and 21 days.

Many people use the comparison sites and buy their insurance at the quoted rate.

They do get it at the quoted rate. However it does not always give you options as an example. My daughter who is at UNI has a flat but lives between there and home. Nowhere does it allow you to stipulate how many days in each place. When we worked out the days and spoke to someone it worked out 200 quid cheaper as her home address is significantly lower risk than flat address. The money supermarket type sites rely on numbers as they make a very small commission. By having a broad brush approach you get sucked into buying, thats how they work.  

This is true with some companies. The explanation comes down to the companies regarding those who leave it to the last minute as desperate or just careless. Both mean a higher premium.

I was with Hastings Direct for several years, the cheapest on the comparison web sites. I had to claim on a  3 month old Skoda Octavia bumped by persons unknown(I know but they denied it and had no witnesses). I know there will be lots who have had issues with Hastings but in my case I had no problem, other than the excess which was £350. I checked at renewal and got zero excess for the same price (voluntary excess)

No problem in going with another repairer, only they would not supply a loan car. 

I looked at a VW/Skoda approved workshop and it was a Toyata dealership. No problem with the claim and they supplied me with a loan car straight away as mine was illegal as the wing had been slightly pushed in so the top of the wheel was exposed. It needed new door,wing and the sill repaired. 

On 29/12/2019 at 11:35, Black Grouse said:

Money Saving Expert, aka Martin Lewis, analysed 18 million quotes and concluded that three weeks before renewal was optimum https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/07/revealed-the-best-day-to-buy-car-insurance-to-slash-costs-by-100s/  I'm not sure what happens in the time between 30 and 21 days.

Many people use the comparison sites and buy their insurance at the quoted rate.

I like Money saving expert, but they are owned by MoneySupermarket and surprisingly say go to them first for a quote. I had problems with spam calls and emails after using MSupermarket years ago so wont use them now.

Also be careful and try different comparison sites , as I used to use Compare the market, but then checked with  Go Compare and the same insurance was £50 cheaper. 

On 28/12/2019 at 13:05, Black Grouse said:

Most insurers won't quote more than a month in advance - I have seen somewhere that 21 days before renewal is the optimum time.

This is true. If you leave it late, insurers think you are either desperate or careless, and either way you pay more.

On 18/12/2019 at 14:16, Flat_at said:

I am trying to spread my expenses a little and don't want to go down the monthly direct debit route, DL have given a VERY competitive quote and, having read some reviews on the interweb, I was trying to find what other contributors on here thought of them. Thanks again for the replies. :)

Well, the deal with DL has been done! I gave my previous insurer 1 more chance, rang them and asked again if they would change my renewal date, again the answer was "no, sorry" so I asked for a quote starting today and was told £641 :o (last years renewal was £291) so, as said, DL has a new customer.   

Many :Thankyou: to all who replied. :)

My car is due fr insurance renewal on 1st Feb, had the renewal notice and the premium has increase by £97 over last year with LV=, no change also with Multi-Car and Boundless (CSMA) membership, been with them for over 20 years, called them and they offered a derisory £20, so told them where to stick it, politely  

LV have been taken over by Alliance so there may be a lot of change there.

No idea who Alliance are do they own other names we would know to give an idea how they go about things.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, David 38 said:

No idea who Alliance are do they own other names we would know to give an idea how they go about things.

There's Alliance and Allianz

Edited by Black Grouse

Thanks no experience of those names coming up on comparison quotes.

even if you go direct to an insurance company  for a quote it's still worth going on comparison sites looking at the same insurance company as sometimes you will find it's cheaper as the comparison site have their offers. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Sorry not sure how I got spelling wrong. It is Allianz, they are a very large German insurer.