Flat_at

Direct line insurance

Hi all, not a caravan insurance question so Mods etc.etc. I need to change my renewal date and my current insurer is not being helpful. Has anyone got any experience of Direct line for car insurance? I am thinking of what happens at renewal, does the price dramatically increase?  Thanks in advance for your help.

I used to be insured through DL (probably up until 10 years ago?), but they put up premiums about then and results from comparison sites are always better, I go back to DL and check every couple of years, but always considerably more costly for me...

• Thanks 1

Direct Line isn't always competitive premium-wise.

However, my experience has been very good especially with customer service and claims handling -  and that's when insurance is most valuable.

Shop around and make comparisons.   I'd be looking for an insurer with a good track record for claims management and customer service.    

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flat_at said:

Hi all, not a caravan insurance question so Mods etc.etc. I need to change my renewal date and my current insurer is not being helpful. Has anyone got any experience of Direct line for car insurance? I am thinking of what happens at renewal, does the price dramatically increase?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Many :Thankyou: for the replies. I have been happy with my present insurer, it is just this problem which is making it difficult to stay with them. I used to check the Meerkats and Gino's site, however I have received a very good quote from DL hence the request for opinions. Thanks again.

We have been with Direct Line for some time for cars and house insurance. Also had a couple of claims on the cars and they were handled well. I have found they give competitive prices on their website but when renewals come round they will drift the price up if set for automatic renewal and they have said so when phoned. So each year I still do comparison checks as well as on Direct Lines own website and then phone them to find they let you have the same insurance at their website price or even lower. Using their website you can also adjust mileages and excess amounts to see how it alters the premium.

As an example, our daughter's car renewal was about £590, up £30 from the last year. On their website it was about £560 but by cutting the mileage slightly and upping the excess it was about £504. When phoned they let her have it for about £490, so a few minutes effort saved £100, the policy was the same but mileage reduced from 11k to 10k miles and the excess increased to £200 from £50 for damage or £150 for theft/fire.

Edited by Paul1957
  • Thanks 1

The OP should try LV= who took over Frizzell (who did the Red Pennant insurance) some years back. They are consistently reviewed as one of the best to deal with and in this years Which? review they came out second only to Saga (and if you can afford Saga......). I've been with them for car and house insurance for some years and have no complaints. Being Bournemouth based they even speak proper English!

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

Both cars been with Direct Line for around 5 years now but never have automatic renewal.

Same procedure every year - receive renewal quotes and then ring them and ask them for their best price which usually results in reductions between £20-£30 on each one.

Compare the reduced quotes to others and Direct Line always lowest.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Thanks 1

I had a smack in a new Skoda Fabia in 2006.  Car was with DL, and they insisted we use their "recommended" body shop (Ford dealer).  When the car was serviced just after repair we had the poor quality of the job pointed out to us, and that the quality would void the bodywork warranty  unless rectified immediately...  That was an uphill struggle beyond belief...

• Thanks 1

We had a claim on a car insured with esure and it went to their bodyshop for a new front corner. When we got it back I gave it a good check over and found parts missing, paint missing, the bonnet would not close again after opening and other things. I had taken photos of it before repair and printed out parts diagrams to show them  so they could get it right second time. They were not happy when I pointed out where they had gone wrong and the excuse was a different person put it back together than the one who took it apart. I think they also had underestimated their costs to esure since they broke the windscreen and had to replace that and it needed a Citroen dealer diagnostic to programme the new abs pump needed. They had the car a month and to make it worse the other party in the crash tried to make a second claim saying the car was involved in another crash with them whilst it was in bits. In both these cases they were making injury claims for the same child - first time for whiplash and the second for a back injury so we think they were scammers.

Edited by Paul1957
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

We had a claim on a car insured with esure and it went to their bodyshop for a new front corner. When we got it back I gave it a good check over and found parts missing, paint missing, the bonnet would not close again after opening and other things. I had taken photos of it before repair and printed out parts diagrams to show them  so they could get it right second time. They were not happy when I pointed out where they had gone wrong and the excuse was a different person put it back together than the one who took it apart. I think they also had underestimated their costs to esure since they broke the windscreen and had to replace that and it needed a Citroen dealer diagnostic to programme the new abs pump needed. They had the car a month and to make it worse the other party in the crash tried to make a second claim saying the car was involved in another crash with them whilst it was in bits. In both these cases they were making injury claims for the same child - first time for whiplash and the second for a back injury so we think they were scammers.

Need to correct this, the claim was with Direct Line, we had just changed to them from esure a few months earlier.

• Thanks 1

OP sorry can't understand the question of changing renewal date.  

Anyway just take out a new policy on the date you want.  I guess that what you are thinking in asking about DL.

All I know is they have more adverts on TV than anyone else.  They boast of not being on comparison sites so you get quotes from their website and quickly realise why as they are more expensive than the majority on the comparison site.

• Thanks 1

I have not used Direct line for 15 years. I was with them for many years and they were, then, excellent. Times change. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, David 38 said:

OP sorry can't understand the question of changing renewal date.  

Anyway just take out a new policy on the date you want.  I guess that what you are thinking in asking about DL.

All I know is they have more adverts on TV than anyone else.  They boast of not being on comparison sites so you get quotes from their website and quickly realise why as they are more expensive than the majority on the comparison site.

I am trying to spread my expenses a little and don't want to go down the monthly direct debit route, DL have given a VERY competitive quote and, having read some reviews on the interweb, I was trying to find what other contributors on here thought of them. Thanks again for the replies. :)

No company is the best for everyone so do get a number of quotes. At the same time I would not take the cheapest quote because that is what it is, you still get what you pay for in most cases. The very cheapest often cut costs by having poor service because of poor staffing levels, taking a harder line on claims and generally being difficult.

My car is with GA, which is part of Aviva but was not the cheapest quote, but the best one with a company that was acceptable for me. There is a good number of companies that are good but there is no best for everyone and the best can even change from day to day as they revise there quotes.

Direct Line do have a reputation for excellent service but like most might need negotiating with at renewal and the business moving if they will not give you a figure that satisfies you.  If you have a quote from Churchill they are the same firm.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Wife`s car is insured with DL, they were the cheapest last year and come auto renewal time this year the premium had been reduced (no change to our NCD as we have been on 9+ years for many, many years), so didn`t even bother shopping around.

As for using their `approved` repairers, you can specify (within reason) who repairs your car, so stand firm.

Whilst it is possible to specify a repairer, it would not be easy deciding who to use unless you have a recommendation or have used somebody before. The insurer does not give the same warranty on the repairs, using their approved repairer gets the time you keep the car whereas somewhere you choose is likely to depend on what the repairer offers. Using an approved repairer is also easy, they collect the car, repair it and bring it back without you having to do anything apart from checking it when it is returned. Similarly the courtesy car is delivered to/from your house.

The insurer uses recommended garages to cut costs and it allows them to give a guarantee on the work. These garages are either owned by the insurer or give a discount so costs are better controlled. If a garage has lots of genuine complaints then it is delisted so quality should be good.

The insurer will allow you to use a garage of your choice in most cases but if the repair costs more than their repairer would have charged then you will be expected to pay the difference, unless you have a very good reason for your choice. The only one I have seen that worked was "I own a large company that has all its insurance with you, and will remove if I do not get my way".

We needed the bonnet on the previous Jeep resprayed plus an accident claim.  We went to a recommended dealer franchise (not Jeep) garage who wanted £800 plus just for the bonnet.  The second recommended independent quoted us £350 for the bonnet.  Also their quote for the accident repair was cheaper by nearly £400!  They did an excellent job.  Both were in Gloucester.

I know I have said this many times before but whenever any insurance is due for renewal shop around! 

As for paying for car insurance monthly well thats that’s just plain stupid. I ALWAYS pay it as a lump sum as its much cheaper.

Just done a quick quote for car on DL website. 10% more expensive on monthlies! 

Andy

A7EB630E-29A4-4AE4-B40E-283A9CB1535E.png

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

I know I have said this many times before but whenever any insurance is due for renewal shop around! 

As for paying for car insurance monthly well thats that’s just plain stupid. I ALWAYS pay it as a lump sum as its much cheaper.

Paying car insurance monthly certainly costs more - but some high-risk drivers cannot afford to do it any other way if their annual premium is into the £1,000s

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

Paying car insurance monthly certainly costs more - but some high-risk drivers cannot afford to do it any other way if their annual premium is into the £1,000s

I wouldn't think there are too many on this forum who fall into that category would you??

Andy

Always get your new quote at least 1 month in advance. The closer to renewal date you go the more expensive it becomes. Also delete all cookies when you revisit.

22 minutes ago, colin h said:

Always get your new quote at least 1 month in advance. The closer to renewal date you go the more expensive it becomes. Also delete all cookies when you revisit.

Most insurers won't quote more than a month in advance - I have seen somewhere that 21 days before renewal is the optimum time.

49 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Just done a quick quote for car on DL website. 10% more expensive on monthlies! 

Andy

A7EB630E-29A4-4AE4-B40E-283A9CB1535E.png

Looks like you only pay 10 months.

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Looks like you only pay 10 months.

Something wrong with your maths!! 

10 x £30.06 is £300.60 

The annual premium is £328.16

“Must try harder” springs to mind? 

Andy