Sign in to follow this  
Scaramanga

TV aerial mast clamps for awning channel?

As the title says, is there such a product out there where you can slide the brackets into the awning channel and the clamp a tv mast to them. I know there are clamps for the jockey wheel to do this but I’m not after on of those. Cheers

I have never seen anything like that and think it might be a bad idea as the awning channel would not be strong enough to take the stresses produced by winds etc.

Question has been asked before and answered on the forum   

https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/multi-mast.html

The top bracket fixes in the awning rail but lower support needs fixing to side wall.

You need at least two support brackets to cope with the wind loading stresses.

https://www.maxview.co.uk/mobile-accessories do the unimax clamps that fix to the caravan walls.

Personally I'd be a bit wary about sticking a mast into a screw on awning channel. Assumming that the channel is part of the caravan structure (like Baileys Alutec) then I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

As pointed out you need a lower mounting as well, but using a bit of ingenuity  you could possibly use two awning rail brackets on the vertical runs at the back and front of the van. It's not difficult to make up a couple of slugs to fit inside the awning rail (you can buy stops for porch awnings) or even sail track slugs to secure a pole to.

look here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiamma-Awning-End-Stop-Pawls/dp/B005VB463U

Try using slugs, a couple of 15mm pipe clips and a length of 15mm water pipe. Even better if you've got a 3d printer, you can make bespoke items

Hi matelodave

yes mines a bailey alutec so I don’t think I have any security issues there. I am however swaying to find a suitable Neat and secure  suction mount method.  I’ve seen some suction lifters that are very strong and shouldn’t hurt the caravan sidewall at its made of GRP. Just looking for other possibilities as I really don’t want anything permanent fixing on the caravan wall

4 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Question has been asked before and answered on the forum   

https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/multi-mast.html

The top bracket fixes in the awning rail but lower support needs fixing to side wall.

You need at least two support brackets to cope with the wind loading stresses.

https://www.maxview.co.uk/mobile-accessories do the unimax clamps that fix to the caravan walls.

I had the Vision Plus version many years ago and it worked a treat, yes, you have to drill and fit the bracket onto the side wall of the van, I had no issues with the awning rail coming loose

This is how my WiFi antenna fits - a couple of nylon slugs in the rail with 3mm screws onto my homemad 3d printed mounting plate (the slugs are short lengths of nylon rod about 5mm dia by about 12-15mm long (I could have used anything really with holes in the right place).  It just slides into the awning entry and up to the top of the van (even the thumbwheels are 3d printed). It takes 30 secs to fit and 30 secs to remove. No permanent holes.

I actually tried it out with a couple of IKEA flat pack wooden furniture dowels for the slugs and it worked ok

406973510_P1030458(2).thumb.JPG.bb046fb64c57bac1208bcffdccb40215.JPG

Edited by matelodave
  • Thanks 1

That is a very neat solution. Thank you

Umm 3d printer......  New toy needed!!

12 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Umm 3d printer......  New toy needed!!

oh yes - great fun, I've had one for nearly three years and it's amazing the sort of stuff you can produce, as well as toys and things. I know at least half a dozen people who've got them and some of the units that are now avaialable for under £200 are quite good (in fact some are excellent). There is a bit of a learning curve to get them set up and running properly but once sorted they are a doddle.

My wife will ask for summat and I can quite often have it drawn and printed the same day.

Have a look at this one Geeetech A10M - it does dual colour printing, the print quality is really very good and my mate got one for £186 all the way from China. There you go, even cheaper https://www.geeetech.com/geeetech-a10m-mixcolor-3d-printer-p-1115.html. They cost more from Amazon

Edited by matelodave

We've got the awning rail bracket that the aerial fits in, you also have the pole attached which has a pointy thing on the bottom that pushes into the ground to help secure it. 

I made myself a satellite TV aerial mast bracket out of 2mm aluminium plate, suitably bent to shape, that clamps on the caravan corner handles using couple of coach bolts and wing nuts. The handles are fairly sturdy and have taken the full brunt of gale force winds acting on the 60cm dish.

Unfortunately the caravan is in storage at the moment so I can't take a photo of the arrangement, but that might be an alternative for you.