Hooks

Johnaldo

I’d like to put up a few hooks in the van for small objects such as keys and dog leads.

I’ve seen the stick-on type which are also removable - such as these.

The blurb says not to use on wallpaper - is that what is used in vans?

So if anyone’s used these in their van - are they really up to the job, and do they remove later without a trace?

John

23 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

I’d like to put up a few hooks in the van for small objects such as keys and dog leads.

So if anyone’s used these in their van - are they really up to the job, and do they remove later without a trace?

John

Is there wall paper in modern van? i got some of these from D.I.Y some there are handy.

17 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

John

I think you really need to look at your specific van - mine has GRP walls inside and should be fine with the Command strips, but I'd be very wary about sticking them on any of the wood effect stuff or walls that are papered even with the sort of plastic stuff that some vans are line with.

In the end even if they stick onto the surface, they are then only as strong as the adhesive that holds that surface onto the substrate so could end up pulling the coating off the wll

My wife has then stuck on melamine type surfaces and they are OK but she knows that I'd do my pieces if she stuck them on any of the emulsion painted or papered walls. 

Do not use them on the interior of the caravan as they will lift the veneer off the walls and cupboards.  We bought some proper hooks for the caravan that screw into the wall for the keys.  Although we do not have a Bailey we found that the Pegasus GT65 Robe Hooks were ideal for hanging our towels.

Standard screw on hooks from B&Q BUT I use a piece of double sided number plate adhesive plate behind them cut exactly to size as the screws alone will pull out. Been using this method on caravans for 20 years & never had one fail. Just make sure the screws aren't too long.

2019-12-14 10.54.06.jpg

I have no qualms about using the Command hooks on the fibreglass inner skin in my van but on the vinyl covered parts I would be very careful about how much weight they would be expected to carry.

• I agree completely 1

35 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Standard screw on hooks from B&Q BUT I use a piece of double sided number plate adhesive plate behind them cut exactly to size as the screws alone will pull out. Been using this method on caravans for 20 years & never had one fail. Just make sure the screws aren't too long.

2019-12-14 10.54.06.jpg

I know it's your van and you are happy with them but I wouldn't want summat like that screwed up in my van:beardy:

Unless you want to spoil the appearance of your caravan, I would not fit anything to the inside of the caravan which cannot be removed without marking. When you come to sell the caravan the plainer the caravan the better. Use a bit of ingenuity and look at each thing you want to display and chose a non marking method - a simple hook on a shelf near a door for your keys for example. Otherwise, put your stuff away tidy.

Ern

36 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I know it's your van and you are happy with them but I wouldn't want summat like that screwed up in my van:beardy:

Used them on vans for 20 years and zero comments during trade in. Providing they're fitted neatly there's no problem.

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

Just awful looking too in my opinion would look miles better if the screws looked like they belonged or even fitted  flush 

Though I am certain they are up to the job they were intended for 

• I agree completely 1

38 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Used them on vans for 20 years and zero comments during trade in. Providing they're fitted neatly there's no problem.

Perhaps so but I still think they look naff, especially when attached with oversized countersunk posizidrive screws, so I'd sort of argue your statement about neatly

I'd rather have something a bit more in keeping with a £20k van than something for 30p from B&Q - just my opinion you understand

Edited by matelodave

Thanks all, I had a closer look at some photos I took in the van and can see the seams in the ‘wallpaper’ - so sticky hooks are a no-no.
The ideal place for me is on the wall above the door - so do I need to look for a batten or are there some sort of hollow wall fixings I can use?

BOAC, thanks for the link - those look very tidy.

John

21 hours ago, joanie said:

we use the waste bin on the door  for the dog leads and put the keys on the shelf, no need to add hooks that may fall off 

We use the self for keys and the door bin for thin plastic sheeting to cover the floor t put Aquaroll, Wastemaster and Electrics on when travelling 

Les

Yes, but I haven’t got a shelf and I use the bin for it’s designated purpose ?

Has anyone had experience of screwing into a wall ?

John

15 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Yes, but I haven’t got a shelf and I use the bin for it’s designated purpose ?

Has anyone had experience of screwing into a wall ?

John

Above the door for keys sounds reasonable to me. the keys will not weigh much. You are unlikely to be tempted to hang anything else there as there isn't much space. Screws with a coarse thread (good bite) on some small hooks should be fine. the wall panel at that location is quite stiff so that's ok.

I assume we are talking about the caravan keys or the car keys , and not those huge wrought iron ones used for the jail house door. :D

Ern

We put keys in a small plastic container in some open shelving near the door.  At least I do; OH scatters his stuff everywhere and then expects me to know where it is.  ? I don’t believe in putting screw holes in a van.

Nanamel