Sunbiker - a mad Belgian cycling round Europe

This mad Belgian, Ben, is cycling round Europe on an E-bike that has two long solar panels strapped to a cycle trailer.  Each morning he waits for the panels to charge up with enough to last the next day. So far he has cycled 14,000 kms from Belgium to Holland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Czeck, Austria,  Italy, Corsica, Sardinia and now Spain, trying to keep the sea on his left and following the coast.  Here he is in Tabernas with my grand sons.

IMG-20191212-WA0000.thumb.jpg.a08066674108d89c079dbc8a5af57e93.jpg

We saw him on the road travelling south towards Almeria. We gave him supper, a shower and a bed for the night.

Then in the morning we used our CNC plasma cutter to make new trailer axle supports.

He is at www.sunbiker.com and set off on April 1st this year and can travel about 100 kms a day but now in winter he is restricted by the amount of sunshine. He has no support at all so I think he is mad!. Aiming for Malaga to then fly home for Xmas on 23rd Dec. Back about 10th Jan, his plan is Spain to Portugal, north to Spain, France, Eire and then the UK.

He may do Lands End to John O'Groats so we hope to see him next Spring/Summer as he passes through Cumbria.

Anyone on the Iberian peninsular should look out for him this winter.

Sunbiker website

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

A remarkable and extremely commendable demonstration of human ability to travel without using much energy, whilst lugging a heavy load. I'm sure he's not making any particular statement and neither am I but,

if he dumped those huge solar panels and the heavy batteries beneath on the trailer (all of which consumed tons of energy and created tons of carbon and pollution to produce) he would get round in half the time. 

It reminds me of the similar British guy who has recently travelled a very long way across the USA, on foot.

Anyone know what mileage they both did?

Ern

Incidentally besides wild camping he uses a web site whereby fellow cyclists offer a bed for the night free to other cyclists it is called warm showers.

Link to Warm Showers share accommodation fir cyclists website

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion