Sign in to follow this  
tkimages

Caravan sites near Roses, Costa Brava.

We are starting to plan next years holiday in Spain and have decided on the area around Roses, Costa Brava.  We will be going late August and staying until late September, travelling with a 7.4m (shipping length) caravan.  Any recommendations for suitable camp sites in the area would be most appreciated.

What sort of sites do you like?  Most in that area are large sites, with 'full-on-facilities' and entertainment etc.  We liked L'Amfora which is south of Roses, at St Pere Pescador.  Very high quality site, with excellent sanitary facilities, including some pitches with their own private facilities.  The newest block is really state of the art...

There is a long (somewhat windy - but it's a windy area) beach directly from the site, a few bars and restaurants in walking distance, and the site has good bars and restaurants, and also a well-stocked well priced supermarket.  Some pitches in the centre may be rather tight but pitches on the periphery of the site (never that far from facilities because it's an almost square site) tend to be bigger and the private facilities pitches are bigger still.

Would agree with Val that L'Amfora is a very nice site. When we visited they were using some temporary facility buildings that were immaculately clean with staff permanently there cleaning .

The beach was so windy that we only visited it once, we stuck it out for about half an hour and then gave up, and used the pool.

Just been looking at ACSI website an see that it is again a member and takes ACSI card from 31/8 to 26/9

We've been caravanning in the Bay of Roses for over 20 years, all of the following are great but google them to see which you like best as some are huge commercial sites with full on entertainment and others are a little more relaxed,

Camping Laguna

L'amfora

Las Dunas

El Delfin Verde

La Ballena Allegre

Nautica Almata

Aquarius

A little further down the coast is another favourite of ours, Camping Cala Go-Go

One thing no-one has mentioned is that you WILL need to book, the area IS very popular!

There is a land train that runs off the seafront, It looks expensive, but it goes right up into the hills above the town and takes several hours. It’s well worth the money! 

I have stayed at Laguna, pretty decent site if a bit crowded and some of the pitches are a bit “tight” (another good reason to book) It’s an easy walk into town and the sea front.

Andy

FWIW .....

Without any specified wants or needs stated by OP  - we stayed 5 peaceful nights at Aquarius in late March 2019. Pleasant large but well organised site we found, nice beach in front. It is away from the more commercial areas around the main towns. Vet at St Pere for pets or kids if needed.

Highly recommend a run out over the mountain to Cadaques in your car for a very pleasant coffee or romantic lunch on the seafront albeit August may be chaotic.

Cautionary tales about marauding youths on mtb's & car break ins at the historic ruins at L'Escala.

M

39 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

One thing no-one has mentioned is that you WILL need to book, the area IS very popular!

The OP is going at the end of August and many German/Dutch summer holidays are earlier next year. The schools here in North Rhine Westfalia are on summer holidays 26th June until 12th August.

Might get away without booking at the end of August.

25 minutes ago, montesa said:

Highly recommend a run out over the mountain to Cadaques in your car for a very pleasant coffee or romantic lunch on the seafront albeit August may be chaotic

I cycle up and over the mountain to Cadaques and back, blowing like a steam train :D

4 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The OP is going at the end of August and many German/Dutch summer holidays are earlier next year. The schools here in North Rhine Westfalia are on summer holidays 26th June until 12th August.

Might get away without booking at the end of August.

I cycle up and over the mountain to Cadaques and back, blowing like a steam train :D

To Cadaques Cycling Borussia, now I know you are mad   :blink:, but I do agree with L'Amfora and Camping Nautica both great sites

Thanks to all who have replied so far.  We prefer quietish sites, though we realise it's a busy area as we have visited the area once before when staying at Estartit one Easter.  We know how windy it can get, but we really liked the area around Roses, Cadaques and Cap de Creus, hence our desire to return.

We have used this site several time  Camping Las Palmeras and I think it would pass for quieter (than the huge sites along the bay) .We went there initially when we turned up at Aquarius  nearby and found it bursting at the seems in September, principally due to the C&CC holding a rally there .  Turned around and moved a mile to Palmeras and at €2 a day more much nicer

18 hours ago, Les Medes said:

To Cadaques Cycling Borussia, now I know you are mad   :blink:, but I do agree with L'Amfora and Camping Nautica both great sites

I also cycle from Laguna to El Delfin Verde and back, about 60 miles but it’s 95% flat, just a few hills around L‘Escala

6 hours ago, David in Cheshire said:

We have used this site several time  Camping Las Palmeras and I think it would pass for quieter (than the huge sites along the bay) .We went there initially when we turned up at Aquarius  nearby and found it bursting at the seems in September, principally due to the C&CC holding a rally there .  Turned around and moved a mile to Palmeras and at €2 a day more much nicer

Thanks D in C . Good choice. I looked at the website photos for that site and actually saw trees, flowers and grass. 

12 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I also cycle from Laguna to El Delfin Verde and back, about 60 miles but it’s 95% flat, just a few hills around L‘Escala

Know the area well, love it there, can't wait to get back in 2020

HI 

We have been there many times,

L`Amfora is a very good site but on September 1st the site pool goes very cold,apart from that the site is faultless.

Site normally closes last Friday of September, we used to go across the road to the German site Aquarius the the Camp n Caravan club hold a rally.

The last 2 time we were on Aquarius we were flooded within 4 hours the water rose to 30cm,the site never did anything at all they closed the site entrance gate so you could not leave, my wife said she will never go back.

Since that experience we went to Salata in Roses a short walk to the sea front. its an ACSI site but if you stay for more than 2 weeks its cheaper with the site, its not as good as L`Amfora  but as the nights draw in it is nice to walk along the very well lit sea front.

One downside is the showers, they work well plenty of hot water and clean but are a little tired.