Sign in to follow this  
WilliamJames

Kia Sorento KX3

.......anyone have any insight on this model circa 2012-2014?

The previous model before the latest one..... that has a full size spare wheel!

Edited by WilliamJames

We had a 2010,  2013 and now a 2017. All KX-3s and all with full spare wheels.

Brilliant tug. Have not got a single criticism and that includes the servicing and fee warranty bits of work.

• Like 1

We ran a 2014 KX2 auto. Towed several vans with it including two large TA’s. Comfortable, economical and cheap to run ( tyres lasted 50k miles with regular rotation front to rear).  Self levelling rear suspension and reversing camera made hitching a doddle. Sensible wheels and tyres gave a comfy ride and off road performance the few times we needed it on wet muddy pitches.  Tons of room in the back ( not using third row of seats). Only issue we had in 60k miles was the radio aerial. Have another in a heartbeat. Far superior to the VW that replaced it. 

• Like 1

I have 2013 kx2 manual, had clutch burn since new, kia agreed to cover under 7 yr warranty but its not failed so far, its a lovely car very comfortable drive and ride both solo and towing. I would go for auto but tax is higher.  

Depending on exactly what you want from a car, don't forget the Hyundai Santa Fe - the Sorento from 2012 uses Santa Fe underpinnings and powertrain.

We have had 4 Sorento’s.  Current 2014 kx3.  If I had to replace it tomorrow it would be a new Sorento.   Enough said I think. 

......thanks for the replies all very useful.

I believe the latest model does not have a full size spare wheel.

We have had a manual 2011, an auto 2014 and currently an auto GT line S 2019. They have all been good, the autos better and the latest one the best of the lot. All towing a 1900Kg twin axle caravan.

The latest does have a small spare though. That is to make room for the Adblue tank.

Edited by staffordshirechina

43 minutes ago, WilliamJames said:

Mine from 2016 does.

But from about 2018 there isn't space for the adblue tank and a full size spare wheel.

Mine's been fab.  That's high praise for someone who came from a Toyota Landcruiser. 

I'd recommend auto, especially for towing.

Some dealers are much better than others.

There's a decent owners forum at https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forums/

Edited by Tigger

Thanks again and that's useful info Tigger.

I currently have a 2001 2.7 Tdi long wheelbase Nissan Terrano.

Bought it new and it's done 160K miles over half of that towing.

Bit long in the tooth now but still drives and tows well.

.......at my age (72) can't justify buying a new car that will only be used for towing  5K miles / year.

....most likely going for a Sorento that's done about 50K that hasn't towed!

2015 KX3 - best towcar I have ever had, and that includes a Range Rover a good few years back.

Only issues have been engine management light coming on twice, neither affecting running. Some kind of sensor on the exhaust both times, replaced under warranty.

Came close to changing it for another Sorento earlier this year, but the lack of a full size spare put me off. Buying a full size spare and carrying it in the boot wasn’t really feasible because the caravan spare lives in there.

Edited by hp100425ev

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere before to make sure you get self levelling suspension. 
I think it was an option across the range(standard on 7 seat Santa Fe) .

I seem to recall that on previous Sorento models which had 5 or 7 seat options, only the 7 seat ones had SLS as standard, and many reported issues with the non SLS models.

The current model is only available with 7 seats so all have SLS.

I would imagine the new model due out early 2020 will be the same.

The SLS system used is not a hydraulic system like many others, it is just within the rear shock absorbers, but it does seem to work OK. 

Edited by hp100425ev

It does look like the 2019 model has space saver spare. Our 17 plate has a full size one

Also, the engine is Euro 6 without Ad Blue, not sure how that was achieved.

We had a 62 reg KX2 for 4 years, great towcar and had full sized alloy spare. Very reliable and good warranty.

We now have a 66 Santa Fe because we got a better deal than Kia  dealer offered!

It also has the full size alloy spare. Ours is a Wiggins limited edition manual. Its a premium SE with extras-lots of toys!

Latest model has the spacesaver, probably space needed for adblue tank.

Ours is Euro 6 without adblue has dpf fitted.

Edited by 664DaveS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

Ours is a Wiggins limited edition manual. Its a premium SE with extras-lots of toys!

Wiggins edition? Is that the one which has something extra under hood and goes a bit faster than the production version?

Edited by PandR

No it was made in limited numbers and colours. Ours is a metallic mid blue with black leather interior.  Its premium SE with sidesteps, graphite alloys side badges and special interior mats.

Standard 200bhp engine is great. Ours is manual but autos were available.

They are 7 seat with sls.  Very well equipped car and a big discount given plus great trade in.

Just got rid of my 2010 sorento kx3 after 2 failed rear diffs. I had read about this problem but you never think it will happen to you!

Now own a 2016 Santa Fe, far superior tug in my opinion

Edited by Ter

10 hours ago, WilliamJames said:

The latest Santa Fe only has a "space saver" whilst the previous models (ours is a 64 reg) had full size spares.

Hasn't stopped us from ordering a new one for next March though - our 3rd. 

I would have another too. Ours has only done 23000 miles so no plans to sell. Retired so its mainly our holiday car now.

2 hours ago, Ter said:

Just got rid of my 2010 sorento kx3 after 2 failed rear diffs....

Had you been rotating the wheels?

It's important that the tyres with the deepest tread are on the front.

3 minutes ago, Tigger said:

Had you been rotating the wheels?

It's important that the tyres with the deepest tread are on the front.

The back, not the front!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The back, not the front!

Why do you think that's the case?

The 2010 Sorento is front wheel drive in normal use, with torque on demand to the rear.

Edited by Tigger

Best tyres front or rear was discussed to death some years back.  Convention and safety experts have it that it is safer for a car to understeer than over steer ( rear wheels loose grip first ).  To minimise this then best tyres go on the back wheels.  This assumes both sets are ‘good’ of course. 

That aside it it is bad practice to subject the transmission to tyres with uneven wear on the same axle ( driven). Differences in rolling radius can be the case of excessive wear in the transmission.  Other factors as well but makes a good baseline. 

• Like 1