Sign in to follow this  
LM Lad

DIY Circulation pump replacement

Hi all,

I'm thinking in advance (before it burns out) to come up with a new DIY design or modification to replace the 12v pump in the header tank in my Alde heating system.

I'm just gobsmacked how much these tiny pumps cost when you can buy them for a fraction of the price.

My thought was to modify what's there, ie find a pump what's got the same spec ( rpm, volts etc) . This would be the ideal option as it's not altering the infrastructure of the system as such.

Or, stick an in-line pump at floor level with isolation taps at either side of it, one side will have a drain outlet, just in case I need it at any point . That said using a silicon tube to connect from the existing pipework to either side of  the pump and just use a tool ( which I have built already ) to squash the pipes together if you ever need to take out the pump would do.

I'm hoping someone has already thought of this and even done it if so, I really would appreciate any advice you can give. Come on chaps let's see if we can come up with a cheap alternative solution so we are all not shackled to the overinflated prices we have to pay now.😊

Thanks all

The motor looks suspiciously like the motors used for radio-controlled cars, which come in a wide variety of power ratings

You can get just the motor from here.

They work out at £50 , which is a lot cheaper than buying in the UK, but not sure if they will post to UK.

http://www.husvagn-svensson.se/shop_1/hem/443-12v-motor.html

Come on Alde what about a discount for us Brits.

Edited by Organman
Typo

Matching the pump may not be quite as simple as it looks, so you could get it wrong and waste a few quid, although with prices at £130 and more I see the motivation. 

Are you sure the existing pump is really no good? Have you tested it, and how? Have you examined it for a visible cause of failure? Are there any ancillary components to test in the pump? That would be my starting point.

Don't want to Talk too soon but our wee pump has been working away very happily for ten years AND it is on (on a low setting) all winter:D

Hi all and thanks for your inputs and sorry for the delay in getting back to you I thought I’d get an email prompt when my message was answered but I didn’t.

Have to say I hope my pump will run for 10 years too. But I can’t help but feel we are getting ripped off. Motors are cheap, or should I say you can buy decent cheap motors and was hoping someone had managed to crack this problem.

I took it out of situ after I posted my first message and although I didn’t fully take it to bits, I’m sure it’s doable, plus I stopped because I have ordered a tachometer to find out what speed under load it’s going at and I didn’t want to damage it before stripping it down. 

Maybe ( I’ve not looked yet) the link above to the motor might tell me that, but I’m going to crack either finding a replacement pump or working out how to put one inline somewhere. After all, it’s not rocket science, it’s just a motor pushing a liquid around a bendy pipe. 

When I have I’ll certainly post what I did on here. But in the meantime, thanks again, it’s appreciated.