Grumpy2

Spare wheel conundrum

So, having completed our first outing and put the 'van away for a month or two my mind is turning to 'what could go wrong next time'. 

On the subject of the tow car (Audi Q5 2017), it doesn't have a spare wheel, just an inflator and gunge. The recommended spare is a space saver.

Now I'm in three minds, do nothing and stop worrying, I've only had two flat tyres in 40 years driving. Buy a space saver just in case (about £200), buy a spare set of identical wheels and use one as a spare when towing (£500 but I could sell three to reduce the outlay)

Thoughts welcome

Gary

ps remember I'm new to this.

Fourth option, be patient and try to buy a 2nd hand, mechanically matching, but not necessarily identical wheel to keep as a spare.

Watch out though, the spare wheel well may not take a full size wheel.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We have a space saver in the boot but I would prefer a full size spare. However I cant fit one in the well. There aren't many cars about with a space deep enough for a full size spare and that I suspect includes your Audi. I wrote to Volvo UK Technical a few years ago about towing with the space-saver on the car and was advised that subject to all normal parameters, and provided the 50mph limit is observed, I can tow the caravan with the space-saver on either car axle. I believe Volvo know what their cars can do so accept this.

• +1 1

The problem may arise that you are sticking the side of a road or motorway  with the caravan in tow after a blowout that the gunge can't be used and some breakdown companies won't come out unless you have a spare .

Dave

• +1 1

6 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

....some breakdown companies won't come out unless you have a spare .

Do they come out if spare is a SpaceSaver?

I have an Audi A6 which has a spacesaver spare. 

The thing I'm dreading, if I need to use it, towing or not, is what do I do with the wheel with the flat tyre when I have changed it?

It won't fit into the spare wheel well so would have to go in the boot but I often have the dog there!

I wish manufacturers would put a little thought into things.

Cliff

• +1 1

3 minutes ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

I have an Audi A6 which has a spacesaver spare. 

The thing I'm dreading, if I need to use it, towing or not, is what do I do with the wheel with the flat tyre when I have changed it?

It won't fit into the spare wheel well so would have to go in the boot but I often have the dog there!

I wish manufacturers would put a little thought into things.

Cliff

It's an issue common to all the bigger Audi's plus VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne - the space saver is a wierd thing which increases in diameter as it's inflated so the storage well is too small for the full sized tyre just removed.

For the OP - get a single wheel of the same size, new or used, fit a tyre of the same size and store it in the boot - it will rob precious boot space though.

• +1 2

I think the Q5 requires the variable boot floor to be fitted if you have a space saver fitted but that might depend on the age of the vehicle.

My car has a full size alloy spare but this means the variable boot floor has to sit in the higher position (a price I am willing to pay as the boot is vast anyway!), our old DS4 had a space saver (which I nicked from the DS4 we had before) but for towing I got hold of a second hand scuffed alloy that sat under the bed in the caravan - okay its weight but I updated the MTPLM anyway and figured it made sense for those trips.

One advantage to doing this is there may be a cost involved but if I get a flat I can order a replacement tyre of the brand I want rather than needing to buy whatever is in stock at a fitters at whatever price they charge!

I sold the full size alloy for the same price I bought it for when the car went.

Edited by FrankBullet

Just now, FrankBullet said:

I think the Q5 requires the variable boot floor to be fitted if you have a space saver fitted but that might depend on the age of the vehicle.

My car has a full size alloy spare but this means the variable boot floor has to sit in the higher position (a price I am willing to pay as the boot is vast anyway!), our old DS4 had a space saver (which I nicked from the DS4 we had before) but for towing I got hold of a second hand scuffed alloy that sat under the bed in the caravan - okay its weight but I updated the MTPLM anyway and figured it made sense for those trips.

One advantage to doing this is there may be a cost involved but if I get a flat I can order a replacement tyre of the brand I want rather than needing to buy whatever is in stock at a fitters at whatever price they charge!

The Q5/Q7 has a space-saver that isn't skinny but reduced diameter

Just now, Black Grouse said:

The Q5/Q7 has a space-saver that isn't skinny but reduced diameter

Yes, it’s the same as the spare on my A2, it has s a collapsible spare that needs inflating. I think the height of the thing (when under the floor) is quite large hence the need for the variable floor.

for peace of mind I would get a space saver for now and when you change your car you can then get one more suited to towing i.e. one with a proper spare wheel

Just now, joanie said:

for peace of mind I would get a space saver for now and when you change your car you can then get one more suited to towing i.e. one with a proper spare wheel

As time goes on, fewer and fewer cars have a proper spare wheel, even as an optional extra or aftermarket purchase.

Run flats are an option if you are getting close to needing new tyres.  I had them on BMW and no probs towing with a puncture.  Would not have known about it had the system not told me.  Got it repaired a couple of days later.

Just now, Black Grouse said:

As time goes on, fewer and fewer cars have a proper spare wheel, even as an optional extra or aftermarket purchase.

you're right, we had a jag with a space saver back in 2005, however the last 2 cars have been  a Kuga, it's a good tow car for the money.

I have a 2009 Ford S-Max. They don't come with any type of spare, just the tyre sealant. A lot of garages won't repair a tyre if the sealant has been used, plus it only works on a very small leak. A space saver is is only legal if your car has been 'type approved' to use one and mine hasn't. I carry a full size, genuine S max wheel bought from a breakers. I takes up a bit of room in the back but is securely strapped in place. There's still room in the back for my large, crash tested dog crate for my German Shepherd, but not much for anything else.

I bought a set of 4, for about £150.00.

Sold three of them on for £90.00 each! 
Result!

Mine had a space saver, which you are not supposed to tow with. I bought an alloy and cheap tyre as spare and a sheet of 30mm polestyrene. Cut a hole in the sheet to fit over the wheel well and spare, then replaced the carpet. Most people don't even know it is there. I have used the spare once in 8 years :(

24 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

I have used the spare once in 8 years :(

That's the trouble, isn't it. I can't remember the last time I had a puncture, it was some time ago. The thought of not having a spare for the first time in my life worries me. I also managed for years without a mobile phone, but now panic a bit if I go out and forget to take it. I'm a believer in sod's law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joanie said:

Easier said than done!

If anyone is thinking of getting a space saver spare, please check that your car is type approved to use one. Some aren't. If not type approved it's possible your insurance could be invalid if the worst thing were to happen.

1 minute ago, johntog said:

If anyone is thinking of getting a space saver spare, please check that your car is type approved to use one. Some aren't. If not type approved it's possible your insurance could be invalid if the worst thing were to happen.

Came with car as standard equipment so can't see the problem.

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Came with car as standard equipment so can't see the problem.

If your car came with a space saver from the factory obviously of course it will be type approved. Cars that came without a spare of any kind , maybe a pump with some sealant, may not be approved. These are the people I was aiming at.

• Like 3

After having 5 punctures in the last 18 months I can tell you that not having a spare or even a space saver (BMW 530d F11) is an issue especially when one was in Austria on a recent holiday (not towing). I have run flats which are ok but you do have to watch the tyre temperature when driving as this climbs rapidly in my experience. I have now bought a full sized wheel & tyre to put in the boot when towing or solo on long distance trips. Not ideal but no real other answer sadly.

9 minutes ago, johntog said:

If your car came with a space saver from the factory obviously of course it will be type approved. Cars that came without a spare of any kind , maybe a pump with some sealant, may not be approved. These are the people I was aiming at.

So you think they only type approve certain cars on the production line to be used with a space saver?

I think it more likely that all the cars are type approved for a full spare, a space saver or sealant, and the choice is down to the purchaser which one they  want, that was definitely the case with my E-Pace, it was a tick box on the online ordering system to choose one of them as an option.

• Like 1

A full size spare (matching alloy) was one of the factors that influenced my choice of a Kia Sorento, along with the SLS.

I have never towed without having a full size spare available, and wouldn’t really want to. I don’t want to be messing around having to source a tyre when on holiday, especially if I have a long tow after a wheel change.

With the two previous Honda CRV’s, I bought a full size spare, which could be accommodated in the boot welli with a little adaptation to the boot base covering.

The latest update of the Kia has a spacesaver now, due to an adblue container being fitted and preventing a full size spare fitting underneath the boot, so not sure where I will go to next for a towcar.