Sign in to follow this  
Steamdrivenandy

Do you really need such a big car?

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Australia has had history of massive Bush Fires but what makes this one so devastating was due to the drought. Is this a result of climate change ? I don't know... 

GAS ... :mellow:

And neither does anyone else KNOW for certain, but the drought MAY be the result of global warming which IS happening.

It’s just the REASON for it that is unclear. It’s probable that human action in emitting greenhouse gases is having an effect, but by how much is the big question. 

Mr Trump says it’s all baloney and “Fake news” and as he is a (self confessed) genius I am sure he knows better than the professional scientists with numerous  qualifications and years of experience in the subject. 

Andy

• +1 1

The suv antis change their tune when there cars get stuck in snow!

We have rescued a few caravans and a small campervan from muddy pitches!

31 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

It's no gonni happen Steamie D. Attitudes will not change' The human race are simply too selfish and too greedy and will not be happy until we have choked our very precious wee planet to the point of no return. It's simply hopeless. 

Maybe a wee bit too heavy a statement for some this time in the morning :blink: but I don't see any change  but see and hear plenty of they "Do Gooders " bluff and bluster... Enjoy your Big Car auld fruit and these mad wind turbines are not as efficient as we are led to believe. 

Here's a quick question and excuse the Fred Drift. Is Australia burning due to a climate emergency ? Australia has had history of massive Bush Fires but what makes this one so devastating was due to the drought. Is this a result of climate change ? I don't know... 

GAS ... :mellow:

The big irony of the Australian bush fires is that Australia is a major exporter of coal which is used in China, increasing the CO2 which is said to be driving climate change - those coal exports are a major part of the Australian economy, which is in bad shape overall.

13 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The big irony of the Australian bush fires is that Australia is a major exporter of coal which is used in China, increasing the CO2 which is said to be driving climate change - those coal exports are a major part of the Australian economy, which is in bad shape overall.

Yup and do not expect the most powerful country in Europe to give up its brown coal fired power stations anytime soon either!

Last time I was in northern Germany the vast open cast lignite mines were expanding!

Hard coal and lignite still produce 35.3% of Germany’s power production according to thishttps://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/coal-germany.

Coupled with Germany’s lust for big powerful cars and unrestricted speed autobahn s anything we do regarding restricting use of big private vehicles seems to be a bit pointless?

50 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Nothing to do with ‘SUV’ and everything to do with tyres and 4wd, the two don’t always go hand in hand

53 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mr Trump says it’s all baloney and “Fake news” and as he is a (self confessed) genius I am sure he knows better than the professional scientists with numerous  qualifications and years of experience in the subject. 

You could post this in numerous topics on here;

EB2BB9F9-894A-4D52-AAF0-29AEAA6C2507.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 664DaveS said:

33 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Nothing to do with ‘SUV’ and everything to do with tyres and 4wd, the two don’t always go hand in hand

Besides, it would be rather poor economic strategy to purchase a 4WD purely on the off-chance that one may, once in a blue moon, get stuck on a muddy pitch. If you have a non-4WD you will soon learn the limits of its capability and you will try to avoid pitches that are likely to get muddy.

ps: It may come as a surprise to know how many SUV's on the road are actually 2WD.

Edited by Lutz

Most of our pitches in the UK are on rallies or CLs and for us 4WD is a requirement and I would not buy a towcar without it.

I also like a SUV where you slide in sideways instead of sitting down but we don't need or want a big SUV.

• +1 1

36 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Besides, it would be rather poor economic strategy to purchase a 4WD purely on the off-chance that one may, once in a blue moon, get stuck on a muddy pitch. If you have a non-4WD you will soon learn the limits of its capability and you will try to avoid pitches that are likely to get muddy.

ps: It may come as a surprise to know how many SUV's on the road are actually 2WD.

And even more surprised to know that so many more are 2WD for 99% of the time, ie all the "smart 4wd" vehicles

Been a bit of Talk about the meaning of "SUV" . My car is called a " SAV " Thats what they say it is in the US where its assembled.  " Sports Activity Vehicle " . Well I love Sport (on TV ) I'm very active first thing in the morning (not so much by afternoon though ) and its definitely a Very nice vehicle , so it lives up to its name / description perfectly!

BMW  X4 M40i  2019.  360hp

30 minutes ago, James Donald said:

Been a bit of Talk about the meaning of "SUV" . My car is called a " SAV " Thats what they say it is in the US where its assembled.  " Sports Activity Vehicle " . Well I love Sport (on TV ) I'm very active first thing in the morning (not so much by afternoon though ) and its definitely a Very nice vehicle , so it lives up to its name / description perfectly!

BMW  X4 M40i  2019.  360hp

Thats a lot of HP in two wheel drive mode 😀

5 hours ago, ancell said:

Thats a lot of HP in two wheel drive mode 😀

But at least the correct two wheels.

8 hours ago, Lutz said:

A neighbour has a Range Rover Evoque. He has a "The best 4x4 by far" sticker in the back window.

It's a FWD model. 

I always wonder if he knows.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

The only 4 wheel car I have driven was on Ingleston race track-Audi Quattro.

Boiled the brake fluid in 2 laps much to the fury of my passenger-my teenage son😀.

Never needed 4 wheel drive.

When we were snowed in I just dug us out to the main road.

Now we are retired we just stay in till the snow plough clears the road😂.

Never needed 4 wheel drive on any site and that includes towing racing cars and boats on grass😂.

22 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

And even more surprised to know that so many more are 2WD for 99% of the time, ie all the "smart 4wd" vehicles

Both the cx-5 and Tiguan gen 5 always have drive to all four wheels.

1 to 2% for a cx-5, and 10% for a Tiguan, to the rear wheels.

6 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Both the cx-5 and Tiguan gen 5 always have drive to all four wheels.

1 to 2% for a cx-5, and 10% for a Tiguan, to the rear wheels.

Subaru's are 10-50% rear drive, Freelander 2 is 4wd when starting from rest.