Sign in to follow this  
Steamdrivenandy

Do you really need such a big car?

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

The Twingo was a Smart with Renault badges, built on the same line.

Our smarts were the original ‘450’ not related to the Twingo.

Think there are a few things in relation to this.

For us we go to Europe a lot and the cost to hire a suitable tow car would be excessive

Also as others have said getting a suitable one at short notice may prove difficult.

We are fortunate we have a small car that I use for work so the SUV does not get driven on a daily basis

Just a couple of other thoughts

If we imposed suitable taxes on large container ships/tankers etc they would quickly start to make them more efficient and better for the environment. It is said that one super tanker produces more pollutants on one round the world trip than all the cars annually in the UK

Finally if you are thinking electric cars, take a look at the impact on the environment they have when being built and when the batteries are built and raw materials mined, then take a look at the CO2 produced by the power stations to produce the electric. Yes I know solar and wind help but they do not produce in high winds or low sun so you still need a power station

14 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It's much more about wanting rather than needing, our lives are full of 'stuff' that we want but I'd guess we don't need 90% of it.

I have big SUV because I want a big SUV, cost is irrelevant to me.

I take your point re want and need. Choice is a wonderful thing, I have to say though from my point of view I cant imagine why anyone would want or own a large suv.

13 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Personally I’d rather have a smaller car - the only big cars we’ve ever had are the current Passat and a previous Citroen C4 Picasso (which actually took up very little road space but was vast inside), I’m also not a fan of the high-up seating position much preferring to feel closer to the road.

Assuming we didn’t have a caravan, I would much rather have a roof box for the holidays which is in fact what we did - the Citroen DS4’s were a perfect size for us, okay a little cramped if going out with 5 in the car but that was the exception not the rule.

As we are quite happier with a smaller/ lighter caravan than the norm and as my confidence and experience towing continues to grow I can see my next car being 1500kg-ish but with more punch to tow a 1400kg-ish caravan, something like a Focus ST Estate or Golf mk8/ next Octavia vRS Estate.

I’m happy for others to drive trucks, simply can’t see the appeal!

Nicely put.

19 minutes ago, stattam said:

have to say though from my point of view I cant imagine why anyone would want or own a large suv.

My caravan weighs 2 tonnes, to tow it legally here in Germany at 100 Km/h on the Autobahn my towcar must have an empty weight (Kerbweight) of at least 2200 Kg. I would struggle to find a hire care with a towbar for a reasonable price.

512567296_3-tabbert-puccini-560-e-showmodel.jpg

• Like 1

We have what we have because that's  what we want, suits us ,   BMW X3  and Astra, not even thinking of Electric for either vehicle when we come to replace them,  X3 only a month old  and Diesel and the Astra is of 2014 vintage with 22 K miles and Petrol and I love driving it (the Astra) when Senora Medes lets me

You guys still seem to be taking my thoughts based on your need for a tow vehicle. Both my earlier posts on this thread made it plain that I was talking about non-towing car users, who are, by far, the majority.

And I agree that there are other, larger polluters in this world but for our grand children's sake  we need to push in the right direction. Fatalism should be trumped by hope.

One of my own pet issues is that nobody seems to cost wind turbines on the basis of the energy needed to build the facilities to make them, then to build, transport, install and maintain them. On that basis, at what point in their lives do they become a net benefit?

• Like 1

Its time people realised there are no emission free vehicles, its a government con, anyone expecting to get 0% emissions are kidding themselves. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

You guys still seem to be taking my thoughts based on your need for a tow vehicle.

You need to re-post on the new 'Don't Chat about Caravans' forum.

• Haha 2

I have a Fabia 1.2 tsi est DSG which will return 50+ mpg but can still take a 2.4m length of wood but we usually find we use our Pug 108 as it is more easier to get parked .

Dave

2 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Its time people realised there are no emission free vehicles, its a government con, anyone expecting to get 0% emissions are kidding themselves. 

Agreed - a pledge to stop breaking wind would have more effect!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

You guys still seem to be taking my thoughts based on your need for a tow vehicle. Both my earlier posts on this thread made it plain that I was talking about non-towing car users, who are, by far, the majority.

And I agree that there are other, larger polluters in this world but for our grand children's sake  we need to push in the right direction. Fatalism should be trumped by hope.

One of my own pet issues is that nobody seems to cost wind turbines on the basis of the energy needed to build the facilities to make them, then to build, transport, install and maintain them. On that basis, at what point in their lives do they become a net benefit?

If I had to give up caravanning tomorrow, I'd want to still keep the same car as I need the space for non-caravanning duty - and I like the comfort given by a larger vehicle.

• +1 3

There are some smaller cars which think they are big cars, and drive like a bigger car. I drove a friends Golf and it was a beauty, with  good ride and very nice seats. When he replaced it with another Golf he admitted that he missed the old one for the same reasons. Our aged V70 is a great ride and really comfortable and I would not expect a smaller car to be as good in that way. I would replace it tomorrow if I could find a smaller car with all the features I want and for that reason, we are keeping it hopefully for a while yet.

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

You guys still seem to be taking my thoughts based on your need for a tow vehicle

No, I have a large 4x4 because I like large 4x4's, if I didn't have a caravan I'd still have a large 4x4.

Having said that it can sit on my drive for days/weeks on end because I cycle everywhere, someone who owns an electric car and charges it from electricity generated in a dirty power station will be emitting more emissions than me on my bicycle.

• Like 2

I could say I need a large 4x4 as I live in a rural area and it would be important if it snowed but once it snows over about 20 mm the country grinds to a halt and nothing or anybody carries on and I am told not to venture out so a 4x4 is pointless .

Dave

Has anyone mentioned the scams that some hire companies do? There are stories of them claiming thousands off clients for minor scratches and dents which must already have been present.

I have hired a transit van a few times and you spend half the day flaffing around with paperwork and to-ing and fro-ing to their depot. Maybe they'd drop it off but at extra charge as I am far out in the sticks. In any case I am often filling my very large 4x4 : last week it was a bed and mattress to the dump, also recently there were fence posts from the builders merchants, my daughter's fridge, and some 3m lengths of copper pipe (I can just get those inside). I don't know how most people manage with tiny cars unless they lead a very metropolitan* lifestyle.

* In a small rented flat, no garden, eating out or take-aways, not keeping anything for more than 2 years, white van man to do every job, never leaves the city, spends all their time on the smart phone virtue signalling. Oops, I just described a "modern" person - maybe everyone wil be like that soon when world population has soon re-doubled a couple more times as there will be neither room nor resources for anything else.

I drive a big 4x4 for several reasons ...

We only have one car...it has to tow a big caravan around Europe and do the shopping at Tesco.

I can afford to drive a big car....because I only have one set of insurance, tax, mot, repairs and renewables.

No matter how much we contort ourselves, abolishing  SUVs with ICEs will have little impact on the environment compared to commercial traffic.  Amazon Prime is doing far more damage.

But more importantly...

After a major head on crash in europe my wife is now very nervous in traffic. (The main impact was on her side)

The Discovery sent out by Red Pennant to recover us  gave her that extra elevation and the perceived slower traffic speed, which was enough to reassure her on the drive home. She has never felt confident to drive herself since the accident and residual back problems make it more difficult getting out of normal height cars. So we still drive a Discovery.

I'm not sure if an S Max qualifies as a 'big car', it's certainly a heavy lump. I bought mine for 2 reasons, towing the caravan as my 1.8 Mondeo was feeling underpowered, but also, because it's a higher vehicle, it's easier to get in and out of and more comfortable for me with my arthritis. As we're both retired now we don't do many miles.

• +1 1

I have done my bit, I went from a 4.4 full size RR to a 3.0 Velar.

Ian

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, IanV8 said:

I have done my bit, I went from a 4.4 full size RR to a 3.0 Velar.

Ian

I like the look of those Ian are they any good? You don't happen to know if the Kerbweight is more than 2200 Kg?

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

There’s plenty of information out there, it depends on location/ size etc but within a year they’ve typically fully paid back the embedded carbon of procurement and construction and the ongoing maintenance has a paltry carbon footprint.

1 hour ago, Bolingbroke said:

* In a small rented flat, no garden, eating out or take-aways, not keeping anything for more than 2 years, white van man to do every job, never leaves the city, spends all their time on the smart phone virtue signalling. Oops, I just described a "modern" person - maybe everyone wil be like that soon when world population has soon re-doubled a couple more times as there will be neither room nor resources for anything else.

Until my son was 2 our family car was my Audi A2, which is narrow and takes up barely any road space.

Using it was easy because it’s actually a decent size inside, plus I have roof bars on it which meant that anything that needed taking to the tip or transferring from builders merchants that didn’t fit inside would go on the roof; we used the roof box for holidays (whilst he was still in a buggy), never wanted or needed a larger car - however, our second car at the time was dying so we needed a replacement and set on a C4 Picasso because;

1) we weren’t sure if the Stupidity Gene would kick in and we would decide to have another child

2) If we did non identical twins are all over my wife’s family

3) The C4 Picasso has a massive inside but not on the road, a rear facing child seat could be positioned behind me driving - at 6’4” that’s rare and I wasn’t willing to compromise by punching the dashboard every time I went to change gear or tickling my ears with my knees

It went once we had decided the stupidity gene would not be kicking in, to be replaced by a superb DS4.

I'd like a Dodge RAM

• Haha 1

I like a car with plenty of metal round me and family, currently a BMW 5GT. I find some small cars quite scary when you see how close the rear head rests are to the rear window, and the narrower ones have negligible space between occupants and doors in the event of side impact

We mainly use a Corolla for around town.  Did a round trip of 200 miles in it once and never again.  It is an auto and gets about 40mpg even though it is 23 years old with 114k on the clock.  I don't see any point in upgrading it.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I'd like a Dodge RAM

My ideal runaround would be a V8 Mack Superliner, an Aussie import so still rhd, but I’d settle for a Ford F-250 as being marginally more practical. Until then my Grand Cherokee will have to do. 

I do like a big truck.