Sign in to follow this  
Squash

Dartford Crossing

Just had an email from Dartford telling me that since my account has been inactive for 12 months it will be closed in a further 90 days.  If I want to keep it active I can either use the service or top up the balance! Until last year I used the crossing at least once every year - in both directions. 

Not likely to use Dartford during the coming year - will be Hull/Zeebrugge for the biggie - so maybe letting the account close the best option rather than top up with £10.00 when the account is currently £6.64 in credit.

Had a look at getting a refund. 

So far as I understand the situation I can amend a charge for £2.50 (which I don't want)  or ask for a refund.  The snag seems to be that a refund costs , wait for it,  £10.00. 

I'm not completely clear and just wondering if anyone else has faced this dilemma?

It may be that the £6.64 will remain as a balance even though they say my account has been closed?  If that's the case I may simply top up the standard £10.00 in the future to have £16.64 credit.  

Alternatively if I don't do anything for the next 90 days maybe the account will be closed permanently and the £6.64 lost.  My understanding is that this will be the case.

Of course we're not talking of a vast amount of money but I would be interested to hear if anyone else has been in this situation. 

Not in your situation and I haven't been through or over the Dartford crossing for about 4 years, but my son is also on my account and he keeps it open with 1 or 2 crossings per year. My balance at the moment is about £5. Is it possible for you to pool another Dartford user, such as family, friend, neighbour or even forum member, onto your account to keep it open. You only need someone to make one crossing before deleting them from your account. 

John.

I'd phone them up with some sob story - maybe a family illness,  and see if they can't keep your account active for another year.  Most companies hate to lose a customer.

I've had the same messages but although the account is closed/inactive it hasn't been entirely closed by them (yet).

I deposited £10 on account to attend an ex-colleagues funeral in Dartford in September 2017.  Not been across since.  Changed my car / reg details online in late November this year.  Login still works.  Still says to make a crossing or add money to reopen and I've a £6.66 balance...

There's a form to fill out to request an account closure (and refund?).  https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Content/PDF/Dart_Charge_account_closure_form.pdf I haven't seen any mention of a charge for refund (unlike TFL's refund charges for the Congestion/LEZ ).

Might be worth a call to them for clarification if you are concerned?

When I used the crossing I just bought a oneway simple ticket which cost £2.50. No need of a account.

I use the crossing regularly, put my reg on your account and I will give you the money to save losing it😂

• Like 1

I was recently informed by the Dart Crossing that my account had been inactive and would be closed if not used in the next 90 days. As I am unlikely to make as much use of it as I once did I emailed them to ask for options. The long and the short of it was that I agreed to the account being closed and they agreed to send me a cheque for the balance I had on the account. It did take a while for the cheque to arrive but it now has and been paid into the bank.  No other charges as far as I am concerned.

David

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, klyne said:

I was recently informed by the Dart Crossing that my account had been inactive and would be closed if not used in the next 90 days. As I am unlikely to make as much use of it as I once did I emailed them to ask for options. The long and the short of it was that I agreed to the account being closed and they agreed to send me a cheque for the balance I had on the account. It did take a while for the cheque to arrive but it now has and been paid into the bank.  No other charges as far as I am concerned.

David

I wonder why a company that takes payments by card needs to issue refunds by cheque? :unsure:

After the fee for account holders was increased to £2.00 I was left with an odd  28p on my credit which cannot be used. (fee was £1.67 which would round up to £10 every six crossings 'cos it was actually a 33% discount)

7 hours ago, Squash said:

Just had an email from Dartford telling me that since my account has been inactive for 12 months it will be closed in a further 90 days.  If I want to keep it active I can either use the service or top up the balance! Until last year I used the crossing at least once every year - in both directions. 

Not likely to use Dartford during the coming year - will be Hull/Zeebrugge for the biggie - so maybe letting the account close the best option rather than top up with £10.00 when the account is currently £6.64 in credit.

Alternatively if I don't do anything for the next 90 days maybe the account will be closed permanently and the £6.64 lost.  My understanding is that this will be the case.

Delaying tactic............... Change your registration number to  that of a friend/relative or  add another vehicle  which will re-activate your account.  You can remove/change it again later.

I received a similar email a couple of months ago.     I contacted them for a refund as unlikely to use it again anytime soon as using Hull-Zebrugge/Rotterdam these days.   No problem for a refund, certainly no charge and deposited back into my account.   However, I did have to chase for the refund; their explanation was that  they were incredibly busy.  

13 hours ago, beejay said:

Change your registration number to  that of a friend/relative or  add another vehicle  which will re-activate your account.  You can remove/change it again later.

Nope.  Account stays marked as closed / inactive. 

I've just changed vehicle and done exactly what you suggest. 

See my previous post above.

I don’t have any money deposited with them , they just take the money from my credit card when I use the crossing, about once every two years.

Ian

I wonder why a company that takes payments by card needs to issue refunds by cheque?

It depends on how you pay. If you add money on an ad hoc basis they won't keep records of card numbers.