Sign in to follow this  
ancell

Travel insurance Red Pennant

Took out Red Pennant travel insurance for my 94 year old relative with vascular dementia.

She went to France for 6 weeks got a virus spent a week or two in hospital.

The bill came to £1500.

Put in a claim two weeks ago got a direct payment for £1500.

Compare with last year went down the EHIC route for her medical treatment £900 got £300.

Ignore all comments about medical treatment in France being free-its not.

Might I ask how much the Red Pennant cost? Am actually slightly surprised they offered cover under the age and circumstances.

I think the thing about EHIC is that you pay what the locals would.

I had a trip to hospital in an ambulance in Spain, X Rays, saw A and E consultant and didn't pay a penny. They just wanted to see my passport and EHIC.

Edited by PandR

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

2 hours ago, PandR said:

Might I ask how much the Red Pennant cost? Am actually slightly surprised they offered cover under the age and circumstances.

I had a trip to hospital in an ambulance in Spain, X Rays, saw A and E consultant and didn't pay a penny. They just wanted to see my passport and EHIC.

The only medical questions asked are

1 are you waiting the outcome of medical tests

2 are you waiting for an operation

3 do you medicate using heart regulating drugs-forgotten the name.

4 are you medicating with opiate based drugs.

You must list your pre existing conditions-my relative uses blood thinning drugs and stroke control drugs.

Insurance cost £327 for 52 days.

2 hours ago, PandR said:

My relative had a flat in Puerto De La Cruz spent every winter there for two decades plus.

Had a stroke-went private-did not rate the public hospital-3 weeks in hospital - bill came to €8000+ payable before you are allowed to leave.

Did not get vital physio-seriously compromised his recovery-left him wheelchair bound.

We used my EHIC in Spain when I was taken ill. First the ambulance didn't want to come out with our assurance that we would pay. Eventually they did come out but didn't want to take me to hospital. Eventually took me there. Hospital were reasonable at first but because we wouldn't give our private insurance details, wouldn't keep me in over night and we had to get a taxi back to campsite at 3am. We were told by the locals that we should have given our health insurance details immediately so that we would get good treatment. We were also told by brits who had experienced the same, that if we hadn't given our EHIC first, the Spanish hospital would have billed it all to the private insurer (via us paying up front)  and nothing to EHIC. This would result in our insurer rejecting our claim as its the wrong procedure. The Spanish hospital know this but only want to deal with your private insurer. 

Ern

39 minutes ago, Ern said:

We used my EHIC in Spain when I was taken ill. First the ambulance didn't want to come out with our assurance that we would pay. Eventually they did come out but didn't want to take me to hospital. Eventually took me there. Hospital were reasonable at first but because we wouldn't give our private insurance details, wouldn't keep me in over night and we had to get a taxi back to campsite at 3am. We were told by the locals that we should have given our health insurance details immediately so that we would get good treatment. We were also told by brits who had experienced the same, that if we hadn't given our EHIC first, the Spanish hospital would have billed it all to the private insurer (via us paying up front)  and nothing to EHIC. This would result in our insurer rejecting our claim as its the wrong procedure. The Spanish hospital know this but only want to deal with your private insurer. 

Yes last year in France the above relative was insured Red Pennant her hospital bill physio doctors xrays etc came to £900.

Unfortunately I went down the EHIC route.

UK govt pays out an average 30% guess what I got £300😀.

This year one French hospital claimed several hundred € direct from Red Pennant and were paid out immediately-caused havoc as the bill was also paid by the 94 year old.

I don't understand.  Why, if there is travel insurance, would anyone go down the EHIC route? 

If using the  EHIC  it's better  to try starting a claim in the country concerned rather than  after returning to the UK.  In France the   Caisse Primaire Assurance Maladie (CPAM) of the region will initiate the claim using the documents issued by the provider. Perhaps not always convenient at the time but definitely more effective at recovering the maximum amount due.

Some insurance companies insist that you have a EHIC card - and use it as first port of call. My Husband, Les, was admitted to hospital in Austria 2 years ago with pneumonia and we used the card there. We just had to pay a nightly fee to the hospital (billed to us when we got home) and the final pharmacy bill - all came to approx. £50 - less than the excess on the insurance. We did use the insurance when we got home though - to cancel a package holiday planned for the following month, as Les was unfit to travel.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

35 minutes ago, beejay said:

I don't understand.  Why, if there is travel insurance, would anyone go down the EHIC route? 

If using the  EHIC  it's better  to try starting a claim in the country concerned rather than  after returning to the UK.  In France the   Caisse Primaire Assurance Maladie (CPAM) of the region will initiate the claim using the documents issued by the provider. Perhaps not always convenient at the time but definitely more effective at recovering the maximum amount due.

I was under pressure dealing with my 94 year old relative I thought the EHIC route was more straightforward than the Red Pennant claim form-it is but it still wasted two days of my time collecting all the bunff and filling it in and of course left her down £600.

I should have claimed the £600 from Red Pennant but the strain of dealing with my demented relative left me exhausted just could not summon up the energy for more Bunff antics.

This year fortunately someone with a lot more energy than me filled in the Red Pennant claim form-result😂😂.

20 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

Some insurance companies insist that you have a EHIC card - and use it as first port of call. My Husband, Les, was admitted to hospital in Austria 2 years ago with pneumonia and we used the card there. We just had to pay a nightly fee to the hospital (billed to us when we got home) and the final pharmacy bill - all came to approx. £50 - less than the excess on the insurance. We did use the insurance when we got home though - to cancel a package holiday planned for the following month, as Les was unfit to travel.

Red Pennant do not insist you use the EHIC card.

The French health service appeared to have been more on the ball this year at

1 getting her insurance company’s details

2 and billing direct

I've had Red Pennant insurance several times but fortunately never had to use it in anger, but a few years back we were in France, near Clermont Ferrand, and I developed an abscess in my throat.  I didn't know at the time what it was, other than it was painful and it was getting difficult to swallow.  I went in to the local small town, on a Saturday morning, and saw the local doctor.  She sent me straight to the hospital in Clermont, explaining that my throat was in danger of closing.

When I got to the hospital I showed them my EHIC card but they weren't particularly interested, but took my address etc.  I was treated, kept in one night and given intravenous antibiotics, and given a prescription that I collected from a local pharmacy.  I was fine and we finished our holiday without any problem - other than I couldn't drink any wine due to the antibiotics!

A few weeks after we got home I got a bill in the post from the hospital for around 1600 Euros for my treatment and overnight stay.  I sent them a letter with a photocopy of my EHIC card and eventually got a revised bill for about 160 Euros.  I sent this to my travel insurance (not RP) and never heard any more.  I wasn't asked to pay any excess, but assumed that was because I had paid something like 40 Euros for the prescription.  

More recently we were in Spain, playing golf, when my wife tripped and badly sprained her ankle.  Initially thought it was broken, but went to the local hospital where she was x-rayed and had her ankle strapped up.  Showed her passport and EHIC and no payment required.  So in both cases the EHIC card seemed to work pretty well for us.  Not likely to be quite so straightforward in a couple of years time?

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

I've had Red Pennant insurance several times but fortunately never had to use it in anger, but a few years back we were in France, near Clermont Ferrand, and I developed an abscess in my throat.  I didn't know at the time what it was, other than it was painful and it was getting difficult to swallow.  I went in to the local small town, on a Saturday morning, and saw the local doctor.  She sent me straight to the hospital in Clermont, explaining that my throat was in danger of closing.

When I got to the hospital I showed them my EHIC card but they weren't particularly interested, but took my address etc.  I was treated, kept in one night and given intravenous antibiotics, and given a prescription that I collected from a local pharmacy.  I was fine and we finished our holiday without any problem - other than I couldn't drink any wine due to the antibiotics!

A few weeks after we got home I got a bill in the post from the hospital for around 1600 Euros for my treatment and overnight stay.  I sent them a letter with a photocopy of my EHIC card and eventually got a revised bill for about 160 Euros.  I sent this to my travel insurance (not RP) and never heard any more.  I wasn't asked to pay any excess, but assumed that was because I had paid something like 40 Euros for the prescription.  

More recently we were in Spain, playing golf, when my wife tripped and badly sprained her ankle.  Initially thought it was broken, but went to the local hospital where she was x-rayed and had her ankle strapped up.  Showed her passport and EHIC and no payment required.  So in both cases the EHIC card seemed to work pretty well for us.  Not likely to be quite so straightforward in a couple of years time?

The aged relative was visiting her expat daughter living in France for a decade plus and unlike most UK expats fluent in French.

Her partner has lived in France for 30 years again fluent in French spoken and written.

It appears it’s a postcode lottery regarding health charges in the EU.

I agree it’s going to get worse fairly soon-January 2020?

Are we talking here of using the EHIC Card or EHIC Plus, which is totally different ?

Les

When in Spain needing medical help we took advice from Tour Rep. which was use the card at their NHS to get better treatment, and not to mention we had insurance.

We got first rate attention wish it was as good here, and that was before present state of our NHS.

By the way if you use the local NHS with card our insurer does not deduction the excess from payment for other items which are chargeable.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

3 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Are we talking here of using the EHIC Card or EHIC Plus, which is totally different ?

Bog standard EHIC card

18 hours ago, ancell said:

The only medical questions asked are

1 are you waiting the outcome of medical tests

2 are you waiting for an operation

3 do you medicate using heart regulating drugs-forgotten the name.

4 are you medicating with opiate based drugs.

You must list your pre existing conditions-my relative uses blood thinning drugs and stroke control drugs.

Insurance cost £327 for 52 days.

Regarding the cost that must have been some time ago. There was a lot of comment earlier this year on the CMC website as to how the cost for over 80 year olds had rocketed. I believe one person was quoted something like £700.

Having said that I wouldn't go abroad without Red Pennant, not so much for the medical cover which you can get elsewhere but for the fact that if anything happens to the driver they will arrange to bring your outfit back to the UK.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

£327 for 52 days bought in March 2019 for French visit this summer.

Just now, ancell said:

£327 for 52 days bought in March 2019 for French visit this summer.

Travel only being 94 then her tow car days were long gone😂

I suppose it is because she wasn't driving but this is the link to the CMC website and thread about the increased cost.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/overseas-sites-touring/red-pennant-loading-premium-for-over-70s/?p=3

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

1 hour ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Quote:  we were informed, the underwriters did not like to insure members aged over 70.

Unless the underwriters are new, that statement just isn't true because I have been over 70 for the last 20 years and they've had no problem in providing me with a Red Pennant 122 day Motoring & Personal policy for less than £300 for every one of those 20 years.   That is until a year ago when it shot up to £750.    

Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

When I queried the CMC quote it was because of being over 80, apparently lots and lots of over 80's claiming.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Just done red pennant fora 4 week trip to France next year. 2 of us with medical cover.

£250 ish from memory.

Nanamel