Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy2

MPG

Cant see a thread on this so I thought I'd post anyway.

Quite pleased with my mpg of 29.1 yesterday. What do others get? I think with more experience this will go up slightly too. Measured on my car computer which is quite accurate.

Audi Q5 2.0 diesel (2017) and Swift Challenger 645 (2019)

I take it this is with the van on the back, OH gets about 30mpg when towing.

I suggest people state what sort of journeys and whether towing or not.  My Skoda Yeti 2-litre diesel DSG just gets up to 50mpg on a 25-mile run to Thurso and it's a hilly road and no dual carriageway, so 60mph or less.  Not towing.  About 30mpg towing.

At similar speeds..

Solo 44mpg

Caravan (gulp) 15mpg, although I've had worse.

Bad? Yes, but the car makes up for it when solo.

12 minutes ago, joanie said:

I take it this is with the van on the back, OH gets about 30mpg when towing.

Ha, yes 'solo' the Audi does about 48mpg.

Journey was approx 85 miles terminating in a 5 mile 1000 foot climb, mix of single and dual carriageway 

Our Dacia Duster 4x4 1.6 petrol did 32 on short runs day in day out and 36mpg on a good run SOLO

Towing a 1450kg Pegasus 24mpg -all the time-v little variation.

Our New Navarra is doing 32 on short runs and 38 on a good run-no towing data as yet!

Are these tank to tank figures or the fairy-tale on the dashboard?

• +1 1

29 minutes ago, Grumpy2 said:

Cant see a thread on this so I thought I'd post anyway.

Quite pleased with my mpg of 29.1 yesterday. What do others get? I think with more experience this will go up slightly too. Measured on my car computer which is quite accurate.

Audi Q5 2.0 diesel (2017) and Swift Challenger 645 (2019)

Over what distance, what sort of road, what average speed?

My Touareg uses the same platform as the Q5 but the trip computer is about 10% optimistic.

29 minutes ago, Grumpy2 said:

Ha, yes 'solo' the Audi does about 48mpg.

Journey was approx 85 miles terminating in a 5 mile 1000 foot climb, mix of single and dual carriageway 

Hi G2, we have a 2017 2.0 Audi Q5, our second such car. We tow a Lunar Clubman SR and the best we have ever got towing is , according to the on board info, 33 MPG. This was on an all motorway trip of around 300 miles in Europe at a steady 55 ish MPH.

We usually get between 25-30 depending on conditions.

Solo the car, over some 55k miles is averaging app 37 MPG, which is the same as my previous Q5.

I am sure that some will report better figures but after my previous Audi Allroad 2.7 twin turbo petrol doing 16 MPG towing I am quite happy and looking at specs for the next one.

Edited by Allan Guest

I'm the sad sort who does keep a record of fuel used and MPG (I've got an app called Fulio on my phone) and my S-Max's fuel computer is around 2mpg optimistic.

My real average is around 45mpg when solo, keeping to speed limits  but on long motorway stints I can squeeze that up to around 48-50 (although I managed 53 on a long stint up to Ayrshire earlier this year). When towing 1550kg  it's around 33mpg.

I just checked my overall consumption over the 13k miles that I've had the car and its 38.71 calculated on actual fuel used and 39.6 on the car computer and that's probably around 25-30% towing

Edited by matelodave

26 minutes ago, SamD said:

Officer-are you not aware that these figures of which you speak are but a figment of someones imagining???

3 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I'm the sad sort who does keep a record of fuel used and MPG (I've got an app called Fulio on my phone) and my S-Max's fuel computer is around 2mpg optimistic.

Made me smile thinking of how my Dad would return to the car having filled up, Mum would get out her little book, write in the date and Dad would tell her how much fuel he had bought and what the mileage was.

I did this till I reached a position where I did not have to worry where the money for the next gallon was coming from and now just use the on board info.

Whatever it does not make you sad........................just don't mention to people that you are a caravaner!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SamD said:

Always do a tank to tank calibration with any new car as a base line. Solo the first tank did 48.8 mpg T2T and the computer said 49.1 so that accurate enough for me.

I dont need to worry about where the next gallon is coming from, I just like to keep records - you should see the graphs of my electricity consumption:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I dont need to worry about where the next gallon is coming from, I just like to keep records - you should see the graphs of my electricity consumption:rolleyes:

Each to their own!

Around about 20 towing at 60mph and not slowing for hills, don’t do enough solo trips to get accurate figures but have seen 39 mpg on the dash.

All recorded in a notebook then transferred to an Excel sheet.

Ian

14 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I've got the T shirt Dave.

Spreadsheets on monthly gas and electricity plus household cashflow and water plus fuel and service repair costs on our vehicles.

I don't like being in the dark on such things. 

I can tell you our gas consumption has dropped from an average of 8.4 units a day in 2013 to 5.4 units in 2018 and that our electricity use in 2013 averaged 15 units a day and has dropped to 8 units a day in 2018 and looks like being close to 6 units a day this year. 

51 minutes ago, SamD said:

We have found our on board computer to be fairly accurate when comparing it when doing brim to brim refills.  Our previous vehicles the on board computer has been way out.  I am also one of the sad gang that keeps a spreadsheet for the Jeep.  Don't bother with spreadsheet for the other vehicle as we get an average of 40mpg solo however it is a 1997 1300cc automatic with air con and 114k on the clock.  :D

32 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Officer-are you not aware that these figures of which you speak are but a figment of someones imagining???

Made me smile thinking of how my Dad would return to the car having filled up, Mum would get out her little book, write in the date and Dad would tell her how much fuel he had bought and what the mileage was.

I did this till I reached a position where I did not have to worry where the money for the next gallon was coming from and now just use the on board info.

Whatever it does not make you sad........................just don't mention to people that you are a caravaner!

I still do the calculations although long since stopped worrying about the cost of fuel - or worrying about low mpg, my Subaru Outback used to average 18 mpg towing but was such a joy to drive.

Don’t know and don’t care. I do know my Jeep uses a lot of diesel, but that’s all I can say. 

I'm with you Fireman, I couldn't care less ,I just fill it up . I do know my180 bhp  Diesel SUV does 9.7 liters / 100 km and my petrol powered 360 HP BMW 10.1 liters /100k ? So much for diesel economy. Only know these figures because its up there in front of me.

Cars get filled when needed, the dash mpg readout is fine. Santa Fe does around 40ish running about, slightly more on long trip. Towing 24 to 28 shown.

Our recently acquired Mini (1.5 turbo petrol) indicates 40nto 42 but has not done a long trip and is nearly new.

I don't feel the need for spreadsheets etc, since retired happy to never see one again!

Edited by 664DaveS

8 hours ago, SamD said:

Having compared my dashboard computer figures alongside tank to tank fills, they are pretty much in agreement. An error of around 0.5 miles is close enough for me.

Mazda 6 Sport nav estate auto (2.2 litre euro 6 diesel) 

Solo 55-60 mpg on a run dependent on roads used (and driven gently!)

Around town and between towns in the U.K. around 40-46 

Towing 27-28 mpg when in France (little traffic so constant speed achievable) 

My previous car (identical car but manual) was about 7% better overall but I simply love the auto, especially for towing, very relaxed and stress free.

Andy

I just enjoy driving the car both towing and solo.

Car says 40+ mpg solo and 25 to 30 mpg towing (depends on hills, headwinds and speed).

23 minutes ago, James Donald said:

I'm with you Fireman, I couldn't care less ,I just fill it up . I do know my180 bhp  Diesel SUV does 9.7 liters / 100 km and my petrol powered 360 HP BMW 10.1 liters /100k ? So much for diesel economy. Only know these figures because its up there in front of me.

I'm surprised at your figures. Towing my 1800kg down to southern Spain and back my BMW X4 diesel averaged 10.1l/100km.

My figures are tank to tank calculated via excel spreadhsheet on every fill up-the Duster didn't have a stereo let along trip computer ! And our other cars are ever optimistic! Don't take much notice of them!