Sign in to follow this  
Richnz

Carver2000 failing to fire

We have a '99 Swift Verona with the Carver2000 fanmaster, it has the piezo ignition. I turn the knob, push down and the pilot light comes on. Then I wait 20 seconds and turn the knob for the heater to ignite but nothing happens and the pilot light goes out. Local caravan mechanic said to blow everything out with compressed air, which I've done but no result. Does anyone have some more ideas on what to check? 

After pilot lights, before turning the knob, check if the pilot remains lit when releasing the knob. 

If it doesn’t then it’s probably the thermocouple that’s failed

The thermocouple is a cheap bit of kit and very easy to replace BUT unfortunately it should now be done by someone registered as Gas Safe. Your choice.

9 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

After pilot lights, before turning the knob, check if the pilot remains lit when releasing the knob. 

If it doesn’t then it’s probably the thermocouple that’s failed

10 hours ago, Richnz said:

We have a '99 Swift Verona with the Carver2000 fanmaster, it has the piezo ignition. I turn the knob, push down and the pilot light comes on. Then I wait 20 seconds and turn the knob for the heater to ignite but nothing happens and the pilot light goes out. Local caravan mechanic said to blow everything out with compressed air, which I've done but no result. Does anyone have some more ideas on what to check? 

Andy

I assume everything else gas works ok on the caravan, and that any line tap for instance under the kitchen sink is ON fully. Obviously you must abide by the national regulations in NZ. You may have a caravan mechanic near you and if so I would get him to have a look as it may be simplest. However, you could have a little look if you are mechanically competent and understand basic gas safety. You can access the burner box under the heater (under the caravan floor of coarse), Simple removal of the cover may show loads of leaves and the odd resident mole, spider web etc. Also if it hasn't been used much there may be a lot of corrosion which builds up as debris. If the gas fail safe sensor isn't working you wont achieve anything. Careful removal of the crud may be all that is needed. If you haven't sorted it at this stage I would revert to plan A,  and wait until a qualified gas fitter can check it. Do not run the heater with the box cover off as this can be dangerous.

Edited by Ern

You could try waiting a lot longer than 20 seconds to give the thermocouple more time to warm up. Also check the end of the thermocouple is in the pilot light flame and that it is clean. If this does not help then likely it might need a new thermocouple. To replace it should not involve disturbing the gas side so ought to be ok for most people to be able to replace. Looking on ebay a new Carver thermocouple is about £35 but it is worth checking if other makes will fit since universal ones cost a lot less.

Some info here that might help 

Edited by Paul1957