Sign in to follow this  
David350

Hello from David

Hello, after a few years enjoying camping we have taken the decision to purchase our first caravan next year. We are at the bottom of what appears to be a very steep learning curve, but have been inspired by some amazing YouTube caravan channels  and members comments on this forum. We are visiting our first dealers tomorrow to have a look around some caravan's and I am sure this will generate more questions than answers. It's all very exciting! It seems that caravanning is a lot more complicated than camping LOL. We are looking forward to joining in with this community, and I suspect in the early days we will be asking loads of questions, but ultimately want to be able to contribute and give help/advise to others.  Hope you guys will be patient with us. Thanks David 

• Like 1

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

You will certainly get plenty of good advice from the members and I wish you well in your search for a caravan. Just take your time, ask lots of questions and above all enjoy yourselves whilst you are looking. 

Alan

and another  :welcome:from me david, enjoy the forum but most of all enjoy caravanning, hope you fall in love with a nice shiny caravan

:welcome: to Caravan Talk.

Yep, caravanning can be more complicated but you learn from experience. You can learn from us experienced lot on how to make experienced mistakes. Click HERE :rolleyes:

Hi David, and a :welcome:from me too.  I too started camping first (the old frame tents) over 35 years ago, then moved onto a trailer tent, then folding campers, and now caravans.  If it weren't for getting older, I would definitely have stayed with the camping fraternity; it was a lot more fun, I must admit.  But caravan brings comfort, which you can't beat:D.  One thing that doesn't ever change though, are the people you meet, its so much more friendlier than holidaying in hotels.  And you can't beat eating breakfast al fresco:D

Welcome David

I've never purchased a van from them but in my experience both local branches of Spinney are very good. Silverdale having serviced and repaired vans for me and been excellent.

Leisure Sales are good too, v professional.

Welcome.  It is advisable to buy a cheap second hand caravan and use for a month of 3 and then to decide exactly what you want in terms of layout and accessories.

:welcome: will you be taking your wallet with you:lol: ? a good idea maybe a notepad and pen to jot down the different pros and cons

Our first van was a simple choice-what can we afford!

First new van involved a lot more research, into weights and suitability etc, and we now don't visit shows dealers unless looking to change and looking at options.

There are plenty of people who have made decisions they regret-often at shows faced with vans that are heavily discounted-so take a step back/breath before committing.

Friends know someone who bought his dream first van and then found out his licence did not allow him to tow it!

2 hours ago, joanie said:

:welcome: will you be taking your wallet with you:lol: ? a good idea maybe a notepad and pen to jot down the different pros and cons

An even better idea is to use something like OneNote on the phone where you can take photos and write comments about each van. 

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "Just looking around" at a caravan dealers!

Better to set yourself a more realistic goal, such as "Research for a purchase in the spring". 

Keep your money in your pocket until you have looked long and hard at several vans, on several dealer's yards.

• +1 1

Some very good advice given above. We will definitely be taking our time, asking lots of questions and doing lots of research. We visited our first caravan showroom last Sunday, & funnily enough the  van layout that we thought we would like from looking online we actually didn't like, and we preferred a layout that we weren't expecting to like. Just goes to show hey!!! Have spent weekend preparing a list of the kit we expect we will need to purchase, and it's getting longer by the day. There seem to be products designed for things you didn't even think there would be a need for!!! At this stage there are definitely more questions than answers, but we want to prepare a realisitic budget & 'buy right first time' as this will save us money in the long term. Thanks again for your welcome to the forum.