Sign in to follow this  
David350

Storage near Newcastle under Lyme

Hi, just joined the forum & my first (hopefully of many) post! Seriously thinking about buying our first caravan, and one of the first concerns is where to store it. I will want to use a storage yard (somewhere near the CW3/ST5 postcode area,ie Newcastle under Lyme/) and was wondering if there were any, do they tend to have waiting lists, how much I need to budget for this, any recommendations & do they normally have caravan washing facilities? Just wanted to get my head around this and see if it is realistic before comitting to purchasing a van. Thanks David :Thankyou:

On the home page of this forum there is a link to storage sites. You can also go to the CASSOA website to find sites. The Camping and Caravanning Club and the Caravan and Motorhome Club have storage areas on some of their sites. Only way to see if there is a waiting list will be to contact a site directly.

Costs vary from around £300 to over £1000 a year depending on the location and the site facilities. Some may have washing facilities but not all. When you come to insure a caravan the better the site security the lower the premium, we were in a gold CASSOA site and moved to a none CASSOA site and the premium went up but not by as much as the storage cost reduction.

Mr Google will probably be able to assist you in identifying sites near(ish) to you

Oh and a big welcome to the forum from me.

Just remember

“There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a fool who doesn’t ask it”

We ALL had to learn when we first started out, and this forum gives access to a huge amount of experience amassed by others who are happy to share. 

Andy

:welcome:to Caravan Talk

Enjoy the forum

We're in CW3 and we used Cockshades, just in CW5 between Shavington and Wybunbury (pronounced Winbury). It's a large storage, has cleaning facilities, cost us just over £300 per year, a couple of years back. Usually has vacancies. Excellent access to the M6 J16.

Some friends still use it and are quite happy with it, having moved from a smaller storage site by the WCML just south of Madeley.

Hi David & welcome. 

We live in CW2 and have recently (1st November) returned to owning a caravan. Like you, we use storage and I really struggled to find anywhere within a 20+ mile radius that had any vacancies. I had my name on various waiting lists for over 4 months and didn’t hear back from one. The ones I have used before and can recommend are Cockshades (@£350 per annum) and The Old Hough (@£450 per annum). Both are CASSOA gold rated so do reduce your insurance costs but I have had to go elsewhere as both were full. Good luck and get your name down as soon as possible would be my advice.

4 hours ago, madasmad said:

Hi David & welcome. 

but I have had to go elsewhere as both were full. 

Do people just use storage for part of the year ? If so then maybe these sites will have vacancies as they go out of storage for the spring and summer. The storage site we use you pay for a year at a time but our last one it was every 3 months and there are refunds if leaving the site.

Edited by Paul1957

From my experience, albeit in a different part of the country, storage spaces are in short supply and high demand. 

We we got lucky, I was driving a route i don’t normally use, just 5 mins from home and saw a load of caravans in a yard. Stopped off and found out that someone had left just a couple of days earlier, so I snapped it up, even though I ended up paying for a spot for a few months before the caravan arrived.

The place has no website or advertising, but it’s secure, reasonable and local. About 30 units. I’ve since seen 3 or 4 other places nearby with similarly low profiles.  I’d suggest keeping your eyes peeled, you never know what you might see. 

Makes me really glad I can park mine alongside the house! 

One of my absolute essentials when we downsized houses was suitable storage space for the motorhome we owned at the time.  Mrs Plodd did suggest we could put it into storage if there was no suitable space. She was VERY quickly advised that scenario would never happen! 

Andy

:welcome:David350, nice to see that you're looking ahead and getting things in order before you get the 'van.  You will have lots of questions , no doubt and there are lots of folk waiting to help . good luck :)

7 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Do people just use storage for part of the year ? If so then maybe these sites will have vacancies as they go out of storage for the spring and summer. The storage site we use you pay for a year at a time but our last one it was every 3 months and there are refunds if leaving the site.

Not these ones Paul they are annual payments only I believe 

Wow, my first post on Caravan Talk and I am very pleasantly surprised at how helpful you guys all are!!! The storage facility at Cockshades sounds perfect for us, and I like the idea of onsite cleaning facilites & the CASSOA gold accreditation. I did speak with them, they are full but expect vacancies in 3 months & are happy to put me on the waiting list. Thanks to you all for your welcoming comments & help with my first quesion.