Sign in to follow this  
meone

Spain campsites June 2020

Hi All

We're thinking of visiting northern Spain  and northern Portugal in June next year.  I've just checked ACSI and they don't seem to have too many sites in those areas.  

So my question is how do you all go about finding sites and would we need to book in advance.  We like small basic sites  and are not fussed about having swimming pools restaurants etc.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Meone.

Outside of the school holiday season there is never an issue with continental campsites (except around the Italian lakes where half of the Netherlands and Germany seem to migrate to in September) 

We travel out of season and never book except for one site we simply love just South of La Rochelle that is ALWAYS busy, and no I am not going to tell you which one it is.

Those that know the owner is Bernard, and his wife is called Angelique will know which site it is and not thank me for spilling the beans!

To quote the pelicans from “Finding Nemo” 

Mine, mine, mine! 

Search via Mr Google will identify a lot! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Let's hope others can come up with suggestions of actual sites, which is what the OP asked for!

• Like 1

Meone,  Your starter .....Camping El Molino de Cabuerniga, 50 km south west and inland from Santander  ferryport.

Have you used the ACSI Eurocampings search: or just the Camping Card? Camping Card shows only 9 sites in the Castille & Leon region whereas Eurocampings shows 30.

5 hours ago, WispMan said:

Let's hope others can come up with suggestions of actual sites, which is what the OP asked for!

Part of the question was whether there is a need to book. I responded to that (and drifted a bit to show that sometimes it’s advisable to book)

I am off the Northern Spain in May, I will simply take it as I find it and, as I always do,  not bother booking as I have never had a problem in the past. If a site is full there will always be another.  

Andy

hi meone, we use the ACSI website and other online guides, like CamingFrance etc, but have also used Google maps by selecting the area of interest, and zooming in to have a look, and simply typing the word camping into the search box.

This found us sites around Santander and we stayed at Playa Joyel, the cost of which was app €2 night more than the nearby ACSI sites, on one of the best beaches you will find.

I agree with the previous posts that there is no need to book at that time of year but what I would advise is not getting to hung up on ACSI. Its only a proportion of whats available and you might find the sites busier than those nearby outside the scheme . At the other end of Spain one September we turned round and left an ACSI site that was "bursting at the seams" and went just 1 mile to a nicer quiet site that cost €2 a day more.

Get a more comprehensive guide such as the one published by the Caravan and Motor home Club (not thier advance booking brochure) to compliment the ACSI Guide.

On 06/12/2019 at 16:38, meone said:

Hi All

We're thinking of visiting northern Spain  and northern Portugal in June next year.  I've just checked ACSI and they don't seem to have too many sites in those areas.  

So my question is how do you all go about finding sites and would we need to book in advance.  We like small basic sites  and are not fussed about having swimming pools restaurants etc.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Meone.

We went this year and found it beautiful place to be go. We stayed here http://www.campinglashortensias.com/ for a week its good site on the beach and a great restaurant beach side. We then went down to Baiona which south of Vigo and never wanted to come home. All i would say is book in advance and if  you got a large/twin axle van then book in advance and confirm that they can accommodate you. 

I often use Google maps. Pick your area, zoom in with map view and you will find sites, click on one and in the left hand side panel will be links to website and photos. 
We never book weeks in advance and in June you will have no problems. However if you are limited to a 2 week trip then I can understand people wanting to know where they are going and not waste time hunting for a nice site. Us retirees are lucky - I can recommend it!

Thanks All

We'll have a look at your suggestions.  Really pleased there is no reason to book as it gives us the freedom to roam where the mood takes us!  

The road toad: ........................ I totally agree, us retirees are lucky!