Kewsea

Sky Q?

I currently have a Sky HD box permanently residing in my static as I watch a lot of sports. Sky are offering me a great deal on Sky Q but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no as to whether I could get this to work in my van. 

I think it's a case of having a Sky Q LNB attached to the dish and then having to take the main sky Q box with me each time I visit the van. 

Has anyone else managed to do it successfully and can shed any light on what I would need to do?

Thank you.

For Sky Q you will require a new dish and LNB on the static.  What advantages will you have with Sky Q anyway that are really advantageous to you?

1 hour ago, Kewsea said:

I currently have a Sky HD box permanently residing in my static as I watch a lot of sports. Sky are offering me a great deal on Sky Q but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no as to whether I could get this to work in my van. 

I think it's a case of having a Sky Q LNB attached to the dish and then having to take the main sky Q box with me each time I visit the van. 

Has anyone else managed to do it successfully and can shed any light on what I would need to do?

Thank you.

I have found this bit of info from the Caravan Club Forum that might help you. Have a read HERE. Hope this helps.

Edited by Doosan

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

For Sky Q you will require a new dish and LNB on the static.  What advantages will you have with Sky Q anyway that are really advantageous to you?

Only LNB will need changing for a 2-output Q type OR a 6-output hybrid type that will auto-work with standard sat receivers or Q types.

But AIUI Q needs internet connection for a fair bit of stuff - including pushed programmes/trailers/adverts, that are auto recorded - and could eat data/be slow on a site wi-fi (may even breach T&Cs in some places, hogging bandwidth).

Investigate what taking the card from Q box to a HD box will do.  AIUI it's possible to re-pair the card to the other box type to access the premium channels.  Other fora are perhaps better suited to this question - digitalspy and avforums being two I know have covered this aspect.

Then no changes need be done at the static at all.

Edited by Rodders53

As said the Sky Q would need a internet connection to get it's full benefits . I don't see much benefit myself in upgrading to Sky Q over a HD box unless you want 4k but you need a good download speed .

Dave

On 14/12/2019 at 13:43, Satgear said:

If you decide to upgrade, here's a few SkyQ travel kit options and if you just want the LNB we can also help.  Just sayin' ;)

Happy to advise if you want to call.

Cheers,

Darren.

Hi Darren,

I've just ordered sky Q myself currently using a Satgear  easy find system with my HD box is there an easy find system for Sky Q? It is so easy to use but worried I will struggle with out it!

I was always of the understanding that if you use any premium Sky channels - i.e. sport or movies - then you must contractually have a landline connection to it. If that means you have a landline at the static then presumably you can have a broadband connection but at what cost considering it may only be used for part of the year? You do need broadband for Sky Q, and once you have got it (a) there is no going back as Sky have stopped making conventional boxes and (b) since you have a Q box you will likely be one of the first to loose your satellite service when Sky move over to broadband only feed - albeit that may be some years away.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it would be my view.

"I was always of the understanding that if you use any premium Sky channels - i.e. sport or movies - then you must contractually have a landline connection to it." - the landline connection was originally required for any new installations in the UK, as part of the discount scheme where Sky did not charge you for the sky box. This requirement was for the first year of your contract only. This connection was used for the callback to make sure the box was at the correct registered address...

These terms were updated for multiroom boxes, to make sure that the discounted boxes and subscription were being used in the correct locations.

Now these have been phased out, as boxes are now required to be connected to your internet network, as the HD boxes do not have internal modems.

The above, this was for ANY subscription, not just sports or movies.

SkyQ will work fine for live TV without internet access. Obvs on demand content requires internet connection.  Unlike other Sky boxes, the SkyQ box remains property of Sky.  I know of a few SkyQ boxes been used here in Spain for the last few years that have never been connected to the internet and are working fine...

Having a hybrid LNB fitted to your dish instead of the standard one for Q will allow you to keep using your old Sky HD box as well as your Q box, so if you have a lot of recordings on your old HD box you can still watch them.

• Like 1

As my old system has a easy find lnb and a freesat box I'm thinking of selling it and buying a new system. I like the look of the Maxview Q dish but they are quite expensive. Not really worried about unwatched stuff on my HD box.  There is a dish and Tripod for Q with a hybrid lnb which is quite cheap on ebay not sure which one to go for! I've also got to feed a second cable to my TV in the caravan that could be fun. 

Just take your sky Q card with yo u and pair it to your hd box in the caravan. You just pair it again when you get home. I’ve been doing this for years 👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham_The_Baker said:

Just take your sky Q card with yo u and pair it to your hd box in the caravan. You just pair it again when you get home. I’ve been doing this for years 👍

A few people have said this does not work will try it when I get Q installed!! 

It does work as long as you have internet to your hd box (iPhone tethering will do). Trust me I’ve done it loads of times 

Edited by Graham_The_Baker

So could I swap cards before going away even though the HD box would not have a dish connected? I do like the idea of taking the q box away as it would be able to do all the recordings my easy find dish can only have 1 cable so I have to keep cancelling recordings when in the caravan. 

No not really, only if you have a hybrid lnb at home.

The best way to do it is:

set your dish and hd box up at the van. Tether you’re phone to the box first in settings.

Go to a sky sports channel and you will get a message saying ”this card is not paired to this box, Pair it now”? Select yes and after a few seconds it will pair.

in your return home put your card back in your q box and pair it. 

• Thanks 1

Sky Q offers no real advantage so probably better to stick with Sky+HD.

50 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Sky Q offers no real advantage so probably better to stick with Sky+HD.

Well I was not sure but I like the idea that it can record more channels at the same time and for sport I want the uhd and also it will work out cheaper as I will also have Netflix. 

UHD ? Don't you need a fast internet connection ? 50 mbs is usually recommended .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

24 minutes ago, nsp24 said:

Well I was not sure but I like the idea that it can record more channels at the same time and for sport I want the uhd and also it will work out cheaper as I will also have Netflix. 

Yes you can record more channels at the same time however you then need to find the time to watch the 4 hours of recording done in 1 hour.  LOL!  We find we are okay with only being able to record two channels.  We have standard Sky subscription (no movie channels)  but also have Nexflix and Amazon Prime.

14 hours ago, nsp24 said:

So could I swap cards before going away even though the HD box would not have a dish connected? I do like the idea of taking the q box away as it would be able to do all the recordings my easy find dish can only have 1 cable so I have to keep cancelling recordings when in the caravan. 

You will need a new 2-cable LNB for Q (and maybe a new dish?).  Or a 6-output hybrid lnb that will do either Q or normal $ky (and other) receivers.

A new (quad) lnb would work with the HD box two cable to help with recording channels.

25 minutes ago, nsp24 said:

Other than a couple of demo UHD channels ALL UHD stuff is delvered via the internet and some $ky stuff need very very fast connections.  Netflix say >20Mbit/s for UHD ... some $ky sports has been circa 40Mbit./s I've read!

That could be difficult impossible to achieve on many caravan sites!

5 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

UHD ? Don't you need a fast internet connection ? 50 mbs is usually recommended .

5 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Other than a couple of demo UHD channels ALL UHD stuff is delvered via the internet and some $ky stuff need very very fast connections.  Netflix say >20Mbit/s for UHD ... some $ky sports has been circa 40Mbit./s I've read!

That could be difficult impossible to achieve on many caravan sites!

Not for live TV in UHD via SkyQ (used for Sky Sports, Sky Movies and Sky One, and other odd content if and when it is available - sometime Eurosport this past year, for example) , that comes from the satellite, from their two UHD channels (on 11758 H and 12324 V) and not via the internet, so live UHD content can be viewed even without an internet connection on SkyQ

(these are Sky UHD channels for Sky Q, in addition there is the usual Astra UHD Demo channel on the satellite also, on 12441 that I assume you are referring to)

Sky On Demand UHD content comes from the internet, as you would expect from On Demand.

BBC UHD content is iPlayer only...for whatever little there is, but the few David Attenborough stuff did look great in UHD....think it needed 20Mbs

Edited by satandpcguy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Yes you can record more channels at the same time however you then need to find the time to watch the 4 hours of recording done in 1 hour.  LOL!  We find we are okay with only being able to record two channels.  We have standard Sky subscription (no movie channels)  but also have Nexflix and Amazon Prime.

To be honest I don't get time to watch what I record on standard sky HD but its nice to be able to choose from what you have recommended. I mainly use sky for the football and every time there is a game on midweek I have to cancel scheduled recordings as there are 3 of us setting stuff to record. When in the caravan it's even worse as my satalite dish only has a single lnb. I'm going to route a second cable from my battery box to the tv and get a sky q ready dish. 

5 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Not bothered about UHD when in the caravan at home I've got over 60mb via bt