Help which tv

Hi i need a new tv and would like some advice on which one to go for as want a 12v one so i can go off grid but dont know what to go for 

I did but loads of old posts and differing needs 

HD of course but most are these days, 12v as well as mains, and no smaller than 23" if you want to read the Latest News that goes across the bottom of screen.

And theres not much on what tvs to be fair im after 19 inch and want 12v as going off grid but dont know much about them so dont know wether a cello is good enough or wether to go for avtex or vision plus 

23 would be too big in my little 2 bith i think my 19 ive got at the mo just fits and is about right so wouldnt want to go much bigger really and yeah hd just dont know whats put there and what is a good unit dont want to buy one then have to buy one again next year 

We had 19" and picture was too small for comfort.

The box the TV is in won't say it is 12v as they are sold for home use.  I had to look in boxes to see if the mains lead went straight into the TV or what I needed the mains went into a transformer giving out 12/14 V to the TV, I then just fed 12v from caravan straight into the TV.

We're not big television watchers but keep an Aldi 12v one in the van. Don't think it was much over 100 pounds. Not sure of size, but probably around 19 inch. Seems ok for what we want. Takes dvds as well if anybody uses such things these days. 

We would buy Cello next time-far far cheaper than avtex and since the picture is small res isn't that important-and they are made in the uK-suppor British!

24 minutes ago, David 38 said:

and no smaller than 23" if you want to read the Latest News that goes across the bottom of screen.

That's totally depends on how far you're sitting from the screen.

My wife got suckered into an Avtex at the NEC. Don’t waste your money. Very average tv for an extortionate price. We bought a far far cheaper 12v tv from Tesco with built in freeserve a few years ago. Works just as well, now in our kitchen Only plus point for Avtex is it’s a bit slimmer. 

Go somewhere that you can audition the TVs in your price and size range.

Listen to sound from them (some will be awful, others not).

Look at pictures on and off axis (some will lose contrast quickly others not)... check both left/right and above/below (especially if mounting on an arm).

Having whittled down the shortlist:  examine the remote control (some are diabolical to use).

No one else's view matters 1 jot.

2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We would buy Cello next time-far far cheaper than avtex and since the picture is small res isn't that important-and they are made in the uK-suppor British!

We have a Cello. We are not buying one again.

We used to have a Cello 24” with dvd.

It was 12v but no hd tuner.

Sound was poor, but improved when we fed the audio through the van speakers.

Now have an LG but that works on a 15v transformer so would need a 15v to 12v converter to use in the van if not on EHU.  Great tv with hd tuner, satellite tuner built in and excellent sound.

The Cello now sits in our bedroom at home and is ok for the few occasions we use it.

I don’t believe in spending silly money on a tv for the van, and personally would never even think of buying an Avtex.

Edited by hp100425ev

Its ok looking at them but where do you find a range of 12v compatible ones 

56 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Now have an LG but that works on a 15v transformer so would need a 15v to 12v converter to use in the van if not on

Not sure if you put that right.

Are you thinking your TV needs the caravans 12 volt stepping up to 15v?

If so just try your caravans 12v I think you will find it works OK.

55 minutes ago, Adam180t said:

Its ok looking at them but where do you find a range of 12v compatible ones 

See my post above you have to look in the box.

• 2 weeks later...

As a reseller of 12v TV's including Avtex, of course I'm going to recommend them but I've looked at a lot of 12v TV's. We supply Opticum TV's as well which are cheaper in price, they are also 12v and fantastically sharp HD picture quality just like Avtex but they don't have a DVD player unlike the Avtex TV's which do. There's no doubt about it, Avtex are a great TV company, fantastic support for the supplier and the end customer.  

For what it's worth, if you choose an Avtex TV we will also pricematch if you can find them cheaper elsewhere. You'll find them listed here.  Feel free to call us if you want further advice.

Thanks,

Darren.

Satellite systems expert

We have just gone through the tv buying process and here is our must haves.

1. Ability to show HD to be future proof.

2. freeview channels.

3. Ability to link up to satellite without another tuner ie sky box.

4 Good back up service 

5. Bounce and vibration proof.

6. Ability to find a hard case for transport.

In the end we went for the 21.5 avtex pro. with a roku stick express to get player and a few other channels. We have also bought a huewai 5577s 4g router and aerial. Bottom line is that we can now get wifi in the south of france and stream sky to the tv via roku plus of course freeview channels in the uk.. So far its working well. Although we only bought the small sat dish it should get us by in the UK and mid France and we can stream via wifi if we stray further.

Edited by colin h
spellcheck is an idiot

12 v tv are expensive but you do not need one always as 240v  mains LED TVs are low energy today and cheaper . I go out off grid with my 32 inch Samsung led smart TV that is 30w or 2.5a and connected to a pure sine wave inverter runs about 3 ah  . I have sat and watched TV over 10 hours on wet days on my 80 ah battery .

17 minutes ago, colin h said:

We have just gone through the tv buying process and here is our must haves.

1. Ability to show HD to be future proof.

2. freeview channels.

3. Ability to link up to satellite without another tuner ie sky box.

4 Good back up service 

5. Bounce and vibration proof.

6. Ability to find a hard case for transport.

In the end we went for the 21.5 avtex pro. with a rook stick express to get player and a few other channels. We have also bought a huewai 5577s 4g router and aerial. Bottom line is that we can now get wifi in the south of france and stream sky to the tv via roku plus of course freeview channels in the uk.. So far its working well. Although we only bought the small sat dish it should get us by in the UK and mid France and we can stream via wifi if we stray further.

As long as you are in cellular range which can't be said for most rural parts  ;)

Satellite systems expert

We bought a standard 32inch TV with an external power brick. Because it's 12v you can just connect straight to the caravan.

It's a Smart TV with everything and was as cheap as chips.

I need to see if I can found out the make and model.

31 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Look no further than Avtex

Pricey for what they are. 

I went for a cheap 240v tv/dvd combo off eBay and a cheap (not pure sine wave) inverter, works a treat for me. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I agree with you some years ago  Andy, but it does have a superb picture, we had ours free with our van, it was a NEC show offer ad we were so pleased with it we went and bought one,  also the support is brilliant, we did have a problem with the free one, I rang Avtex in Cardiff arranged to drop it off and went shopping and they called to say it was ready to collect  

I would say, with the development of solar power and the resurgence of off grid caravanning, 12V operation is essential. 

You don't want the restriction of less choice and more expensive hookup only sites just so you can use the TV.