Sign in to follow this  
seren111

Towing Help Please

Hi,

I tow with a 07 Diesel Kia Sorento which has always been great however I towed last week only an 8 mile journey and the last mile the passenger side front started making a loud whine. On return journey I heard no noise until again the last mile? Anybody else had the same please?

Car drives fine and no noise all this week.

Is the noise from the car? Brake pad low? if you are worried i would get it checked out.. internet diagnosis are always hard

• Like 1

A small stone wedged between the caliper  and disc will make a horrendous noise. Simply moving a few feet backwards will often dislodge it. Come across it quite a few times over the years. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. I had new brakes and discs last year.

Thought strange both times it was the last mile. I managed a small recording of the noise but it will not download on here for some reason. 

Did it make the noise whilst moving and also whilst stationary but with the engine still running - if so one of the very many possibilities could be the engine cooling fan running. If you put the air con on the fan should also run so could work as a test.

• Like 1

I would look at your fan belt. clean the pulley area with a dry cloth. If it spins you get that whine. Had you driven through water or heavy rain.

• Like 1

Get it looked at by a professional as soon as possible in case it’s the start of something major. The earlier any problem is fixed the cheaper it’s likely to be.

It is simply impossible to diagnose the problem here as there are so many factors that need to be taken into account. When it comes to noises one mans whine is another mans squeal is another mans whistle!!

Andy

• Like 1

Tricky this one without hearing it; things to investigate may are

Simply rusty disc through lack of use but usually in the first few miles rather than last

Sticking brake piston in its caliper-is the wheel that side hot

wheel bearing beginning to go

CV joint or drive shaft issue

water pump/alternator bearing issue

One of the drive belts/ aircon issue-was it on? 

Cooling fan bearing ? 

Am sure there are other things this could be but as it seems to be occuring when the car gets hotter- the latter ones would seem more likely. 

• Like 1

Yay! Finally managed to convert the audio to one that can be downloaded. Not quite as distinct but gives a good idea.

I was driving slow whilst recording with passenger window open. The noise stopped once stationary.

Any ideas please?

2019_11_29_14_06_33.mp3

Edited by seren111

im probably miles out but  binding breaks on that side?? i had a squeaky brake on my sierra front left but only after 20 min of driving and re copper greasing cured mine

• Like 2

It is a thought Robbie244 and possible but would they only bind when towing weight behind and the last mile of 8? Its strange for sure.

Appreciate all replies and hope the MP3 of it may throw some light on the subject.

I had exactly this on a Zafira  a few weeks back. He’d had new brakes done a while back by a national chain. Their boy had not cleaned off the rust scale where the brake pad slides into the carrier and the pad was seized solid. Every time the brake was applied the pad would get pushed against the disc but wouldn’t release. After a few miles the pad would start to squeal. Had to beat the offending( worn out) pad out with a hammer. Cleaned off the rust scale on both calipers , fitted new pads with anti squeal compound (not copper grease), bled the brakes and all well.

Easy to diagnose this one-simply put your hand near the wheel affected-if it is hot then that is the case-don't touch it. If you can get close then touch it then it is less likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jezzerb said:

Easy to diagnose this one-simply put your hand near the wheel affected-if it is hot then that is the case-don't touch it. If you can get close then touch it then it is less likely.

Thank you, will try that. Do I try that when I do a normal drive out or do I need to be towing (as noise only there last mile of towing and ok otherwise) Please?

Have the road surface been done as it sounds possibly a stone in the disc .

Dave

• Like 1

Get it checked !!  I had a similar noise on my 05 Sorento and it turned out to be a faulty wheel bearing which then seized!

• Like 1

Thankyou Everyone for your input…..I am getting it checked but from past experiences it is always better to have a good idea what it may be so not be on the merry go round.  YouTube had a clip of a faulty wheel bearing which I listened to but it did not sound the same. I thought stone but why did it only make the noise last mile going and last mile back whilst towing and not since....so odd.

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Have the road surface been done as it sounds possibly a stone in the disc .

Dave

I had driven on a stoney road.

On 05/12/2019 at 09:44, seren111 said:

Thank you, will try that. Do I try that when I do a normal drive out or do I need to be towing (as noise only there last mile of towing and ok otherwise) Please?

Do this check just after using the car a few miles, no need to have been towing. Put your hand near the wheels and see if any feel hotter than the others since they will all be slightly warm but only ones that have a seized brake would be hot.

A failed/worn wheel bearing I have found makes a noise like an aeroplane that increases with volume as you go faster, also when turning at speed the noise level can change.

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Do this check just after using the car a few miles, no need to have been towing. Put your hand near the wheels and see if any feel hotter than the others since they will all be slightly warm but only ones that have a seized brake would be hot.

A failed/worn wheel bearing I have found makes a noise like an aeroplane that increases with volume as you go faster, also when turning at speed the noise level can change.

Thank you ever so much Paul.   Will try this out and see what happens. 

11 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Just one caution... Try to minimise braking as you come to the halt where you will be checking the wheels... You want to avoid putting unnecessary additional heat into the brakes