Blackhart

Camping Near Santander?

Hello

We travel over to Spain in early January (Santander) and will be arriving at 17.30 hours, so I need to find somewhere fairly close to pitch up for the night. However I'm struggling to find anywhere open at that time of year. Any that are open  within 40 miles either don't accept TA caravans and/or dogs.

I have scoured the internet, ACSI, Pitchup, etc. and the nearest I can find is at Burgos, which I reckon would mean a drive of at least 2.5 hours, therefore arriving after 20.00 hours. Which I don't really want to do being winter and after dark.

Any suggestions please? Also has anyone done the journey from Santander to Burgos after arriving at Santander in the evening?

Thanks in advance.

BH

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. 

See this thread

Andy

Thanks Andy, but I tried both those sites and they state that they do not accept TA units! :(

Having posted the question I decided to bite the bullet and go for Burgos. We have stayed there before and will do a couple of nights to take another look at the city (El Cid). Yes, it will be dark and yes it will be winter,  but at least I'll have been relaxing on the ferry all day.

I did the booking through C&CC (I booked the ferry and rally at Albufeira through them) and they assured me that a later arrival is okay.

Well, I guess that I've answered my own post! :blush:

BH

Blackhart, bear in mind that your ferry might be delayed after bad weather in January and might arrive too late to set off to drive to Burgos. If that happens your fall back is to follow the motorhomes to the big parking area at Cabarceno nature park. Some will tell you it's motorhomes only,  but yours will not be the first self contained  caravan, with water and a charged cassette on board, arriving there in the dark and melting away in the morning. 

Edited by moorgate

Hello Moorgate

Thanks for that. I'll bear it in mind as a plan B.

KH

We were booked to go to Burgos a year ago but the ferry did not get in until 11:30 at night so I asked at the info desk and they gave me a printed sheet showing an area just outside the dockyard entrance. About 12 MHs and 3 Caravans in overnight. The security gate for the dockyard is just outside the fence and the security people park their cars in the same areas as we were in.

I think Burgos stays open until the bar shuts but even if the gates were shut there is plenty room outside in the car park.

Ian

Thanks Ivan8

That'll do for Plan C.

I checked with the campsite at Burgos and their reception closes at 23.00 hours. We have been there before and I remember that the car park outside the gate for the park is rather large. That will be Plan D!

BH

What about plays Joyel in Noja? Been there many times with a twin axle. Depends where you are travelling on to though.

2 hours ago, stattam said:

What about plays Joyel in Noja? Been there many times with a twin axle. Depends where you are travelling on to though.

Open 12 April to 29 September . Dogs not admitted.  The questioner may not find it useful :(

Apologies OP. Thanks for putting it so nicely Moorgate.....