Sea&Sand

Stowing drainage pipes on caravan.

I'm looking for ideas for securing plastic drainage pipe to the caravan, I have 2 lengths of pipe of different diameters, the smaller diameter pipe fits inside the larger diameter pipe, it is this type of set-up as illustrated in the following link.

https://caravanchronicles.com/2013/05/26/connecting-your-drainage-on-serviced-pitches/

In my case the pipes are quite long so would need to be secured on the long side of the caravan chassis or mounted to the underside of the caravan floor.

Hoping you can give me suggestions that make removing and stowing the pipes simple and easy and prevent the pipe(s) coming adrift in transit.

John

For anyone who might be interested this is my take on the problem and solution.

Smelly pipe in front locker not only takes up space but has a mind of its own.  The only advantage of the flexible stuff is that it's light.  Yes I know there are ways of taming it and stopping smell but I simply decided I wanted it elsewhere. 

Ideas such as nesting pipes were considered but I was concerned that the outer pipe would need to be fixed to the van since I couldn't think of a way to remove and replace it easily.  That being the case there would be a need for multiple pipes fixed beneath the van.

Since I needed a way of containing all the "working pipes" I decided that standard plastic ducting would do the job.  This can be bought in 1 metre lengths and the size I've used is 110 mm by 42 mm (4 inches by 2 inches) Cost is around £3.65 per meter. A joint and 4 hangers cost around £3.50. I also used self tappers to secure the hangers to the van floor and the hangers to the ducting as can be seen. (Those for the ducting were small enough not to intrude but even if they did they would be out of the way in a corner. 

I also bought 2 end caps.  One glued in place the other forming the opening/closing "door"  as shown (These were stupidly expensive at around £3.50 each so alternatives might be considered!)

I did pop a small amount of sealant on the screws holding the duct to the floor but self tappers through fibreglass are both secure and unlikely to allow water ingress.  Even if they did the water has nowhere to go! Just me being "belt and braces" I guess!

Total weight of ducting and fixings is about 1.7 kg.  The pipe weight doesn't count since used to be carried anyway in front locker. 

Apart from the obvious I've found that the flexible pipes have straightened out and are easier to handle than before when a full length.  The other fittings shown in the photo. cater for all combinations of the pipe run including directing down a drain.

I have removed my spare carrier and the "dangly" securing thingy at the back is from it!  A tent peg, cut to length and drilled, was used to hold the end cap in place - I'm sure there are other, maybe better, ways to close the front securely. 

You would need to check this will work if you still carry your spare under the van.  Obviously there will be other suitable places for fixing.

Only disadvantage is access but I'm prepared to put up with this. (I carry something to kneel on anyway since I need it to hook on the brake-away chain).

The second disadvantage is more weight but my 480 is upgraded to 1500 kg so not an issue. 

waste solution.jpg

• Like 4

We have got the stuff made by https://colapz.co.uk/products/flexi-waste-pipe-kit. Only used it once,  but worked better than anything else so far.  Stays exactly where you put it. No fighting and easy to clean. 

The rest of their stuff tiff is very good.  Not the cheapest but top quality. 

Edited by Alan Stanley
  • +1 1

3 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

I'm looking for ideas for securing plastic drainage pipe to the caravan, I have 2 lengths of pipe of different diameters, the smaller diameter pipe fits inside the larger diameter pipe, it is this type of set-up as illustrated in the following link.

https://caravanchronicles.com/2013/05/26/connecting-your-drainage-on-serviced-pitches/

In my case the pipes are quite long so would need to be secured on the long side of the caravan chassis or mounted to the underside of the caravan floor.

Hoping you can give me suggestions that make removing and stowing the pipes simple and easy and prevent the pipe(s) coming adrift in transit.

John

I just use all 32mm pipe, some cut so they just fit in front locker and a couple of slightly shorter lengths.  Then some straight, 90 and 45 degree push fit joints. 

Use a short piece of grey flexi pipe into outlet of caravan then into push fit joint, via Y piece if necessary, then make up pipe and push fit joints, as required, to get near to drain as possible then finish off with another piece of grey flexi and shove into drain.

All locked away in front locker with plenty of ventilation to get rid of nasty niffs.

Mike

• +1 1

5 hours ago, Squash said:

For anyone who might be interested this is my take on the problem and solution.

Smelly pipe in front locker not only takes up space but has a mind of its own.  The only advantage of the flexible stuff is that it's light.  Yes I know there are ways of taming it and stopping smell but I simply decided I wanted it elsewhere. 

Ideas such as nesting pipes were considered but I was concerned that the outer pipe would need to be fixed to the van since I couldn't think of a way to remove and replace it easily.  That being the case there would be a need for multiple pipes fixed beneath the van.

Since I needed a way of containing all the "working pipes" I decided that standard plastic ducting would do the job.  This can be bought in 1 metre lengths and the size I've used is 110 mm by 42 mm (4 inches by 2 inches) Cost is around £3.65 per meter. A joint and 4 hangers cost around £3.50. I also used self tappers to secure the hangers to the van floor and the hangers to the ducting as can be seen. (Those for the ducting were small enough not to intrude but even if they did they would be out of the way in a corner. 

I also bought 2 end caps.  One glued in place the other forming the opening/closing "door"  as shown (These were stupidly expensive at around £3.50 each so alternatives might be considered!)

I did pop a small amount of sealant on the screws holding the duct to the floor but self tappers through fibreglass are both secure and unlikely to allow water ingress.  Even if they did the water has nowhere to go! Just me being "belt and braces" I guess!

Total weight of ducting and fixings is about 1.7 kg.  The pipe weight doesn't count since used to be carried anyway in front locker. 

Apart from the obvious I've found that the flexible pipes have straightened out and are easier to handle than before when a full length.  The other fittings shown in the photo. cater for all combinations of the pipe run including directing down a drain.

I have removed my spare carrier and the "dangly" securing thingy at the back is from it!  A tent peg, cut to length and drilled, was used to hold the end cap in place - I'm sure there are other, maybe better, ways to close the front securely. 

You would need to check this will work if you still carry your spare under the van.  Obviously there will be other suitable places for fixing.

Only disadvantage is access but I'm prepared to put up with this. (I carry something to kneel on anyway since I need it to hook on the brake-away chain).

The second disadvantage is more weight but my 480 is upgraded to 1500 kg so not an issue. 

waste solution.jpg

Very impressed with this. Really don't like all this stuff in my front locker...

I really like solutions like this, thanks for posting.

8 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

We have got the stuff made by https://colapz.co.uk/products/flexi-waste-pipe-kit. Only used it once,  but worked better than anything else so far.  Stays exactly where you put it. No fighting and easy to clean. 

Said I would go for this setup and purchase at Feb show if they are exhibiting.

Saw their outside shower setup demo'd at the October show, looked good quality and ideal for swilling the soap suds of the caravan after cleaning in storage.

11 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

We bought these pegs for awkward serviced pitches.

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

Just a reminder that 2" wide cut-offs from an awning skirt, make very easily-used pipe supports when on site.  They also double-up as ties for the top of your wind-break pole nearest the van.

Ideal solution is these collapse type that just go into a small bag and can be stretched to what ever length .

https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/colapz-flexi-waste-pipe-kit/?gclid=CjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-Wiqq8l8ChxvET8k-Fh08-W7iZOy92LPkJMugcOW3UPdE8DHbPn34Jij4xoCjLUQAvD_BwE

Dave

8 hours ago, PandR said:

Very impressed with this. Really don't like all this stuff in my front locker...

I don’t know about you but I tend to inhabit the  inside my caravan rather than in an external locker! 

A couple of litres of bleach enriched water sloshed through any waste pipe should deal with any bacteria (that’s what causes the smells)  residing in the pipework. 

The other alternative of course is to make a couple of bungs for each end of the waste pipe when it’s stored in the locker. 

I am a a great believer in the “Keep It Simple Stupid” principle. 

Andy

• Like 2

The other alternative of course is to make a couple of bungs for each end of the waste pipe when it’s stored in the locker. 

No need to do that - just use a straight connector to join the two ends of the coiled waste pipe together - no water or smell can get out then.

That said, I am also a fan of the Colapz system.  I bought two kits (8m) plus the pegs and now I have a system that covers virtually any eventuality I will come across.  It packs into its own bag and takes up so little room that it lives in the van permanently.  I've also found it useful - when on a non-serviced pitch - and levelling the van produces a situation where the Wastemaster won't go under the normal outlet - I just use a short length to direct the waste water into the wastemaster.

I use 25 metres of 30mm smooth-wall pond hose, cut into three different length, with domestic 32mm connectors and coiled in a spare wheel cover bag - it travels in the shower along with a similar bag full of fresh water hose and the Water Hog - stowed under the caravan on site.

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I just use a 28.5mm connector and when coiled I simply connect the two open ends of the conv. waste hose together.   
image.thumb.jpeg.5a859eb932c97225dc74219f656dc202.jpeg

I use a hoselok connector to connect the ends of  the blue fresh water hose too - keeps any water residue in and insects out.

In the past I've used a similar set up as Squash - very neat.

I used standard domestic rainwater downpipe and brackets - length limited by the spare wheel carrier.

I've also used appropriate sized spring steel tool clips (from Wilcos) screwed to the underside of the caravan.  The waste pipes were just a firm push fit.

Sorry, no photos available.

I coil up my flexible waste pipe and use a 32mm waste pipe double connector and join the two ends.

Stops any leakage of any remaining water in the pipes and also any smells.

Storage in front locker no problem.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The only problem with these is that they are useless on a hardstanding.

I mentioned this to a chap on the Colapz stand at the NEC who said they recognised the problem and that in March 2020 they are bringing out some thicker gauge pegs with a flat top so you can hammer them in with some welly.

Ian

What a lot of faffing about. So much easier to just line up a wastemaster with the end cap unscrewed half a turn. It only ever needs emptying once at the end of the holiday, no matter how long you’ve been pitched up........

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Fireman Iain said:

What a lot of faffing about. So much easier to just line up a wastemaster with the end cap unscrewed half a turn. It only ever needs emptying once at the end of the holiday, no matter how long you’ve been pitched up........

Not a big issue on a rally field or THS where the ground provides good drainage and the pitch will not be used again for some time. But a bit anti-social if you are going to be leaving a smelly, soggy patch for the next user of the pitch later that day!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Not a big issue on a rally field or THS where the ground provides good drainage and the pitch will not be used again for some time. But a bit anti-social if you are going to be leaving a smelly, soggy patch for the next user of the pitch later that day!

The first fish to bite the hook.......I was kidding 😂😂

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fireman Iain said:

Sometimes our waste pipe develops drainage holes - just can't get the quality - and then there isn't an empty to do at the end!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Tandem Man said:

The only problem with these is that they are useless on a hardstanding.

I mentioned this to a chap on the Colapz stand at the NEC who said they recognised the problem and that in March 2020 they are bringing out some thicker gauge pegs with a flat top so you can hammer them in with some welly.

Ian

Maybe we were lucky as the only time we have had to use them since purchasing was on hardstanding?  No issue knocking them in.

:Thankyou: to Squash for his neat plastic channel idea and to CJ1149 for his tool clips suggestion.

The above ideas led me to  decide on 50mm dia solvent weld pipe and plastic pipe clips, all in it will cost less than £10.00 from  

https://www.toolstation.com/solvent-weld-waste-pipe-3m/p32373?searchstr=50mm solvent

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=50mm waste pipe clips

My existing  3m X 32mm pipe will fit inside my 3mX 40mm pipe and they in turn will slide into the new 50mm pipe that will be supported by 4 clips.

Mounted to the underside of the floor on the offside, I will have the acccess end flush with the rear panel of the caravan and a simple 'r-clip' to hold the internal pipes in place.

Thanks for the replies.

:)